Furlough Estimates

If we blow right past the thoughts and prayers to the root of it, what are you so depressed about that you need treatment? Legitimately wondering. I get the part that everyone has a battle they are fighting, I don’t get the part of reliance on meds for anything, from being upset to lack of attention, that’s part of the local culture. Don’t need your private deets, just a general idea of what, outside of biochemical imbalance or prolonged hardship, causes a depression that needs to be treated.
Yeah, I know I’m not being particularly sensitive, but a) you’re Todd (and I mean that in the neutralest way possible) and b) imma ENTJ by the latest count (woohoo, less introverted than I used to be) so, apparently, I have zero emotional intelligence and imana roll with that

PS No, really. Not being a prick. If I was I’d just react to the post with a “haha”

FYI, there is a very distinct difference between depression and being depressed. Depression is usually clinical and chronic and relates to neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine levels. Due to its chemical nature a medication regime of anti-depressants is usually the treatment as prescribed by a psychitrist. The state of being depressed, is usually a temporary state. EXAMPLES include: I'm super stressed right now, stress is usually a great precursor for feeings of being depressed. I got furloughed/fired from my job. I'm not making enough money. I'm not living up to what I perceive as my true potential. My dog died, my gf/bf broke up with me. These things can get you really down in the dumps, causing you to be depressed. Which you would then (hopefully) seek out non-medication based therapy with a Master level therapist or a Masters level social worker and talk it out.

Last edited:
FYI, there is a very distinct difference between depression and being depressed. Depression is usually clinical and chronic and relates to neurotransmitters, such as serotonin and dopamine levels. Due to its chemical nature a medication regime of anti-depressants is usually the treatment as prescribed by a psychitrist. The state of being depressed, is usually a temporary state. EXAMPLES include: I'm super stressed right now, stress is usually a great precursor for feeings of being depressed. I got furloughed/fired from my job. I'm not making enough money. I'm not living up to what I perceive as my true potential. My dog died, my gf/bf broke up with me. These things can get you really down in the dumps, causing you to be depressed. Which you would then (hopefully) seek out non-medication based therapy with a Master level therapist or a Masters level social worker and talk it out.
You might know the answer to this. Does depression correlate to suicide? One of the dark, dirty secrets of the 121 pilot world(I would assume other parts too) is the number of suicides. Yet we never seem to talk about them, which I believe is total B.S.

You might know the answer to this. Does depression correlate to suicide? One of the dark, dirty secrets of the 121 pilot world(I would assume other parts too) is the number of suicides. Yet we never seem to talk about them, which I believe is total B.S.

I believe that it definitely can, yes. Cripping clinical depression due to low or high serotonin or dopamine levels, where you just want to end the pain after years of feeling numb. I saw it all the time when I worked acute involuntary treatment at the county.

Or even feelings of suicide from depression, due to stress, family/money problems. Loved ones, sick or dying. Loss of social interactions has also been a big component during COVID for people being successful for suicide, unfortunately. In the airline world, it could be any combination of the two. Due to pilots not able to seek treatment, without fear of losing a six-figure job. But again also just the stress of a furlough... again. And all that comes with that. Divorce, stress, money problems, losing the house, cars the notoriety that comes with being a pilot. Sometimes people's jobs become their identity and they can't function without that identity properly.

You can't have a problem if you never talk about it and refuse to admit that it exists!

FAA be like

faa.jpg

I do wish the FAA would open up and work with pilots more on the topics of depression and anxiety. For a lot of folks, certain medications (like SSRIs) work but it might not fly with the FAA. There are some types of anti-depression meds allowed by the FAA but IMO we have a long way to go when it comes to depression and anxiety for pilots.

NO pilot ought to fear a stigma of depression or anxiety. That will require society to change its mindset and the FAA to get a little bit more modern.

I do wish the FAA would open up and work with pilots more on the topics of depression and anxiety. For a lot of folks, certain medications (like SSRIs) work but it might not fly with the FAA. There are some types of anti-depression meds allowed by the FAA but IMO we have a long way to go when it comes to depression and anxiety for pilots.

NO pilot ought to fear a stigma of depression or anxiety. That will require society to change its mindset and the FAA to get a little bit more modern.

Its far more dangerous IMO, for pilots to go untreated/undiagnosed with possibly severe mental health issues. While in command of a flying tube clocking 600 mph. and anywhere from150-500 souls on-board.

I'm not talking Germanwings type of stuff, that was very different, that was psychopathy.

But, I've seen the extreme end of functional individuals in a state of pure crisis. Who are bipolar, schizoaffective disorder (bipolar & schizophrenia, mixed together). Have severe anxiety or clinical depression. In the throes of an extreme level of mental/physical/emotional disorientation, disorganization, dysregulation, mania, paranoia, et al. The level of chaos that they can present in a small, enclosed space such as a cockpit at FL350. Yeah, that probably ain't exactly pretty either, but not to the level of homicide however.

Seriously. We used to say that we saw radical transformations at the county psych ward every 7-14 days on an individual. It was a night and day transformation, from intake yelling and screaming at top of their lungs. Pounding on walls, fighting, throwing chairs, ripping the 55 in. flat off the wall. Getting tackled by twenty former colleges or NFL football players. Getting put in 6 point physical restraints and getting a shot in the ass. To days or weeks later having reached medical stabilization. Having a calm, articulate conversation and learning that he/she is a multi-millionaire. A father, mother, physicist, engineer, successful business owner, kind, normal person etc.

Medications work! They really do. I'd totally be down for someone functional and chronic, but not acute, being a 121 pilot. With more frequent and far more stringent checks with both a psychiatrist and psychologist and their aeromedical doctor. The FAA really needs to get with the times already.

Last edited:
When will 'shrooms get the green light to treat depression or PTSD?

Really funny you say that...

The before ‘Rona times. Long before the ‘Rona times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of my friends I know that committed suicide, one was pre-9/11 and the others were a few years past.

I fully expect in the next year to unfortunately lose more. I have plenty of money, a stable job, an employed wife and lots of seniority and I have to actively manage anxiety and stress. Now if people are on the precipice of furlough, spousal issues, children looking for guidance through this mess and maybe family with health issues, I have literally no idea how they’re coping.

Of my friends I know that committed suicide, one was pre-9/11 and the others were a few years past.

I fully expect in the next year to unfortunately lose more. I have plenty of money, a stable job, an employed wife and lots of seniority and I have to actively manage anxiety and stress. Now if people are on the precipice of furlough, spousal issues, children looking for guidance through this mess and maybe family with health issues, I have literally no idea how they’re coping.

i don’t care who you are or what you got, times are stressful.

Back