Furlough Estimates

That’s right. The stigma needs to go away, and people need to respond to “I’m suffering from depression” the same as “I’m suffering from the flu”.

All this.

No one should ever feel embarrassed about getting an ear infection because you accept it, treat it, do follow up and keep moving.

As a society we MUST see mental health in the same light and we need to take care of one another.

So, I'm gonna give this post the most charitable interpretation possible and assume you really do want to understand and not just be a doosh.

But here's the thing you have to understand about depression: it sneaks up on you. You have no idea you're dealing with it until you're deep into it. And I still didn't realize I was dealing with it until someone else told me how differently I had been acting, and then several other people backed it up saying the same thing.

Right now about a third of the country is experiencing depression. My therapist says they've been inundated with new patients. The complete lack of social interaction that people are experiencing in quarantine, the world turned upside down, people with kids are having to juggle the stress of home schooling, the list just goes on and on. So it isn't that there is one specific event or problem that necessarily gets someone to that point. It's just that everything in the world seems screwed up, and those little stresses of all of that build up slowly over time and take their toll on your mental health, while meanwhile you don't have any of your normal social outlets to balance it out.

To be clear, I'm not on meds, just therapy. But there's certainly nothing wrong with needing to be on meds, so you should probably get rid of that prejudice against that.

Mad respect for this right here ^^

All this.

No one should ever feel embarrassed about getting an ear infection because you accept it, treat it, do follow up and keep moving.

As a society we MUST see mental health in the same light and we need to take care of one another.
Thanks, I was just sitting here contemplating my own post, thinking that I really should have worded it from the other perspective. I.E., the stigma needs to go away so that people will say “I might be suffering from depression, I think I’ll get it checked out” as easily as we say the same for the flu.

Thanks, I was just sitting here contemplating my own post, thinking that I really should have worded it from the other perspective. I.E., the stigma needs to go away so that people will say “I might be suffering from depression, I think I’ll get it checked out” as easily as we say the same for the flu.

After 2020, there are going to be a lot more of these conversations.

It’s a personality trait, not a problem.

See, here's the thing... it is a problem, because many of us here think you are a pretentious ass. And sure, we are just "internet people", so who really cares? But I'd guess if people who aren't forced to interact with you daily (and have the ability to just skip by it if they want) feel like that, the people that are actually in your life feel like that too. And that effects their lives and yours.

Having very low emotional intelligence isn't a personality trait. It's a shortcoming that requires personal growth to fix. And just like somebody who suffers depression saying "I'm fine... I'm just like this", somebody who says having low EI is just their personality, is avoiding the issue.

See, here's the thing... it is a problem, because many of us here think you are a pretentious ass. And sure, we are just "internet people", so who really cares? But I'd guess if people who aren't forced to interact with you daily (and have the ability to just skip by it if they want) feel like that, the people that are actually in your life feel like that too. And that effects their lives and yours.

Having very low emotional intelligence isn't a personality trait. It's a shortcoming that requires personal growth to fix. And just like somebody who suffers depression saying "I'm fine... I'm just like this", somebody who says having low EI is just their personality, is avoiding the issue.

My wife works in mental health. I would like to like this 400 times.

Being loved by everyone Is not part of my job description, never had it as my goal either. Can I be an ass? Absolutely. Very rarely, though, in real life and only if you’re really asking for it. Internet, however, brings it out in people. Say Todd, for example- he’s a d1ck here most days. Do I like him for it? Hell no. Do I hate him as a human being and automatically disregard everything he has to say? Not everything. And no, I don’t hate him. Based on the information he presented about himself, the D word made no sense, so I asked him about how he got it. He gave me his response. Did it make sense to me? Not fully, but I will think about it further.
I think, I don’t feel about day to day stuff. Didn’t bother me until recently, now I find myself trying to understand people going about their lives by what they feel. Makes no sense to me, but hey, doing that isn’t a part of their respective job descriptions either.
To me reason trumps feel. To other people the opposite. So be it.
Would you suggest therapy to a lefty? A gay? Well then...

Have you ever been tested for autism?
No. Are the questions hard?
Over the course of the last 8 years I went from INTJ to ENTJ (introvert • to somewhat not so introvert •). One could consider that an improvement. I think a big part of that is working in a crew environment.

This seems as though it may be a bit of an overreaction, but I guess we’re all a little more stressed these days and looking to vent.

Say Todd, for example- he’s a d1ck here most days.

I’m making a considerable effort to be less dickish nowadays. Look, I get it, I’m an INTJ. Being an ass comes pretty easy. Worked okay for me for a lot of years. Then I got depressed, and my dickishness was amplified to 11. That cost me just about everything I truly value. So I recommend a lower base line of dickishness so when things get rough it doesn’t get out of control and cost you relationships that are important to you. Learn from my stupidity.

All this.

It seems that some people have to find a way to cull the herd — separate people into different groups. Physical traits, physical strength, race, health, religion — any of these can be used by a person to make themselves feel superior to another. Some short SOB tried something like this in Europe 90 years ago.

I’m making a considerable effort to be less dickish nowadays. Look, I get it, I’m an INTJ. Being an ass comes pretty easy. Worked okay for me for a lot of years. Then I got depressed, and my dickishness was amplified to 11. That cost me just about everything I truly value. So I recommend a lower base line of dickishness so when things get rough it doesn’t get out of control and cost you relationships that are important to you. Learn from my stupidity.
Dude, come on over to the ENTJ side. It's much more awesome.
INTJ in comparison is like a goth nightclub

All this.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Back