Furlough Estimates

It's the time zones that get me. I'd rather stay within a couple hours from home and sleep when I'm tired, wake up when I'm not.

It depends on where you are going. There are some 3 day trips to Asia that pretty much keep me on home time, minus staying up a bit late. On the flip side I did a 3 day to MCO that had me waking up at 1130pm domicile time to go operate an almost 12 hour flight. No thanks!

The 175 has struggled to fly everyone and their bags, at least to DLG. Does AS fly the mail in the belly? That could be one reason it’s stayed a 737 route.

I think you underestimate AS managements tendency to base decisions entirely on cost. Making sense has nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on where you are going. There are some 3 day trips to Asia that pretty much keep me on home time, minus staying up a bit late. On the flip side I did a 3 day to MCO that had me waking up at 1130pm domicile time to go operate an almost 12 hour flight. No thanks!
Captain and I were just talking about this, finished a 4 day with varying east coast wake up times and I’m wrecked. Throw in all the fun stuff of summer flying...thunderstorms, broken birds, delays, short overnights, plane swaps, drunk people etc. and give me back the long haul stat. It really is like flying for two separate airlines, the intl stuff usually just hums along without much worry.

Captain and I were just talking about this, finished a 4 day with varying east coast wake up times and I’m wrecked. Throw in all the fun stuff of summer flying...thunderstorms, broken birds, delays, short overnights, plane swaps, drunk people etc. and give me back the long haul stat. It really is like flying for two separate airlines, the intl stuff usually just hums along without much worry.
I just did a four day trip that was a redeye to STL, eleven hour layover, STL-LAS-SAN, eleven hour layover, SAN-LAS-RDU, eleven hour layover, then a 630am van on the East Coast. That trip kicked my butt. I will take my consistent night flying thank you.

Pre COVID we had these trips that would go out to Asia and then bounce around there at night. Was glorious.

What the hell? I thought you hated that flying. Career on the line and all that.

Read: “awesome for that reason.” = short legs same time zone.

Not awesome: green captain on the 737 and I thrown into the worst SE Alaska has to offer.

It’s not a black and white world amigo. I flew with awesome people all winter and it was operationally, um interesting. Now that it’s nice it’s Uber high seniority guys that are a lot less adept at CRM but the WX is nice.

Good things and bad things...

Getting paid to sleep isn't so bad.

I make this statement from a place of ignorance, with no experience. From not either being a 121 driver. Let alone an international pilot. But it at least at this point in time, I just *think* that it would boring not getting takeoff's and landings regularly. Due to the number of pilots on a long haul trip. Also being in IRL pilot also seems equally boring, babysitting the plane while at cruise. I wanted to become a pilot because I love flying. Growing up I was always in love with the 757 type of mission of doing a 4-5 hour transcon and calling it a day. It's the type of airline pilot mission that I always wanted to do. Things may change with time of course once I eventually start this career and the glaze of domestic either thins or wears off. I mean the 777, 787 and. . . the A330 are all beautiful planes. Who knows. Like Bruno Mars, maybe I'll leave the door open in my thinking.

I make this statement from a place of ignorance, with no experience. From not either being a 121 driver. Let alone an international pilot. But it at least at this point in time, I just *think* that it would boring not getting takeoff's and landings regularly. Due to the number of pilots on a long haul trip. Also being in IRL pilot also seems equally boring, babysitting the plane while at cruise. I wanted to become a pilot because I love flying. Growing up I was always in love with the 757 type of mission of doing a 4-5 hour transcon and calling it a day. It's the type of airline pilot mission that I always wanted to do. Things may change with time of course once I eventually start this career and the glaze of domestic either thins or wears off. I mean the 777, 787 and. . . the A330 are all beautiful planes. Who knows. Like Bruno Mars, maybe I'll leave the door open in my thinking.

Takeoff and landing are the most fun part of flying, but they are also a huge amount of work in a professional setting. The data entry, busy airport environment, and other related duties require attention to detail and can be pretty exhausting under some circumstances.

Cruise can be pretty boring, but we have enough busywork to keep us engaged. If you’re just sitting there doing nothing in cruise, you doing it wrong. Occasionally, you do get to see some stuff that’s pretty awesome. In winter time I see the northern lights about once per trip.

I have no desire to be an IRO either, at least not routinely.

Give it a couple thousand hours and I bet your opinion will change. At my airline, the RO does a lot more than just babysit in cruise, they're responsible for the W&B / TOLD card; it's not an assigned position by the company. Usually the RO will be the guy/gal who doesn't need a landing.

That's setting yourself up to be extremely disappointed for a very long time.
Yep.

@Maximilian_Jenius each stage of the career comes with ups and down. Gotta embrace each one and not get dragged down because it doesn't meet your vision for what you thought you should or want to be doing. When you get to the 121 business make the best of each bit along the way or you'll risk turning into one of those types no one wants to fly with. Definitely leave the door open.

Yep.

@Maximilian_Jenius each stage of the career comes with ups and down. Gotta embrace each one and not get dragged down because it doesn't meet your vision for what you thought you should or want to be doing. When you get to the 121 business make the best of each bit along the way or you'll risk turning into one of those types no one wants to fly with. Definitely leave the door open.

Also. Try to go somewhere that has the option to do any kind of flying. Things change over time...

Also. Try to go somewhere that has the option to do any kind of flying. Things change over time...

This is germane to that other thread in this sub in that it's a negative aspect of parking at an LCC or ULCC for decades. Everyone everything for Sunny has contracts which compensate really, really closely with legacies at the top end ($270/hr topped out in the case of the place I work) with good or better work rules and good benefits. But flying the same type of equipment for 30 years is pretty..... Hard to look forward to. And I like my equipment, unlike if I flew, say, a 737 (fight me). But I suspect that having a chance to try different things would be refreshing.

That said, the pay helps temper the wonderment of seeing a 787 on the ramp and thinking "gosh, that would be cool to fly."

Back