Furlough Estimates

You guys want the govt to control the money thats in healthcare?
So much this. I would love to see a properly functioning universal healthcare system. Sadly, I simply don't trust our gov't to do it.

Even in Canada where they have it, and the folks in gov't seem to be a lot less interested in self enrichment, they buy supplemental health insurance for government workers. Why? Basically they know their own healthcare system is inadequate. (based on a conversation with an RCMP supervisor when Obamacare was being put together, everyone is "covered" but not covered equally.)

So much this. I would love to see a properly functioning universal healthcare system. Sadly, I simply don't trust our gov't to do it.

Even in Canada where they have it, and the folks in gov't seem to be a lot less interested in self enrichment, they buy supplemental health insurance for government workers. Why? Basically they know their own healthcare system is inadequate. (based on a conversation with an RCMP supervisor when Obamacare was being put together, everyone is "covered" but not covered equally.)

This is blatantly false. What you're calling "supplemental health insurance" is actually premium boutique care insurance. It allows those people to get premium care like home visits by health care professionals. In other words, the kind of stuff that only rich people get here.

You should talk to the thousands of Canadian ALPA members about how this stuff really works in Canada. I was fortunate to serve in a national position where I got to talk to them on a regular basis. Whenever somebody from the States said something like you said above, they'd look at him like he had three heads and ask where he got that nonsense, then tell us how the rest of the the world thinks we're a bunch of backwardsass fools for clinging to the abhorrent system that we have.

This is blatantly false. What you're calling "supplemental health insurance" is actually premium boutique care insurance. It allows those people to get premium care like home visits by health care professionals.

Israel has a similar system. Basic health care is a right. If you want more options and have money, you can buy private insurance to supplement the national system.

Ranks highly in the world in efficiency and life expectancy.

This is easier to do in a country of 7 million people, but it's also easier to do when the health care system is designed to, you know, care for people instead of enrich the Pharma companies.

I swear, the punchline is “First World problems...” but with the state of dysfunction of the government, corruption, gov’t attempted control of the media, the questioning of valid elections, official yet blatantly false statements, crumbling or non-existent infrastructure, lack of basic care/services for the citizenry...I’m thinking “Second” with an option on “Third.”

There will be a post-pandemic world we have to rebuild, hopefully this will be one of the things we get off our ass and demand to be rectified.
I feel like I should be way less cynical than you are but I feel like it'll be post 2008 financial crisis. Everyone will forget, nobody will be held accountable, and we'll put ourselves on the straight and narrow to make the exact same mistakes a decade or two down the road.

I feel like I should be way less cynical than you are but I feel like it'll be post 2008 financial crisis. Everyone will forget, nobody will be held accountable, and we'll put ourselves on the straight and narrow to make the exact same mistakes a decade or two down the road.

I don’t think I’m cynical, but the people expecting a vaccine Wednesday and pre-pandemic “business as usual” in a week are in for a surprise.

9/11 was tiny, in comparison. But this time we’re handling a pandemic, social strife, a recession our basic institutions infiltrated by political appointees, it’s just that no one’s come out to say “Hey, you do realize you’re in the middle of a failed democracy”.

Throughout my life, we’ve had to rebuild and repair the country before knock it down again, but this one is the worst I’ve seen and we need to realize the “V recovery” is wishful thinking.

No one in the last days of the Roman Empire thought, “Welp, that’s a wrap”

I don’t think I’m cynical, but the people expecting a vaccine Wednesday and pre-pandemic “business as usual” in a week are in for a surprise.

9/11 was tiny, in comparison. But this time we’re handling a pandemic, social strife, a recession our basic institutions infiltrated by political appointees, it’s just that no one’s come out to say “Hey, you do realize you’re in the middle of a failed democracy”.

Throughout my life, we’ve had to rebuild and repair the country before knock it down again, but this one is the worst I’ve seen and we need to realize the “V recovery” is wishful thinking.

No one in the last days of the Roman Empire thought, “Welp, that’s a wrap”
It’s not a V recovery.

It’s a K recovery.

Up until a few years ago, I didn't worry too much about the U.S. becoming a rogue nation... armed with a few thousand nuclear weapons.

In my previous post, a statement that I quoted jumped out at me: "Lack of health insurance is associated with increased mortality, in the range 30-90 thousand deaths per year..."

A quick google dive came up with numerous examples of actual studies (such as this one from 2009 - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2775760/ ), stating "Lack of health insurance is associated with as many as 44 789 deaths per year in the United States"

Everyone in this country should have health coverage.

Up until a few years ago, I didn't worry too much about the U.S. becoming a rogue nation... armed with a few thousand nuclear weapons.
1601327434273.png

I often think of this map from the 2013 poll asking people which country was the greatest threat to world peace. I'd put dollars to donuts we're doing even better in that horse race these days.

This is literally comical. Although I believe I had made your acquaintance by the time I had this conversation with my friend, I'm fairly sure you weren't in earshot.

I'm not relating my extensive knowledge of the system, simply relating a conversation I had with a working Canadian who has used the medical insurance system there.

What I'm calling "Supplemental health insurance" was what the employee of the government of Canada told me he was given as one of the forms of compensation for his services to said government. He was very happy to have it when his wife became ill and she was taken care of right away as opposed to having her symptoms treated with drugs till her place in line came up. According to him, she was treated quickly because of their extra insurance. It was this illness that caused me to ask and how this conversation came to be.

He didn't pay extra for it, he is by no means rich and paid no premium for it. He specifically described it as provided by his employer. It did however allow he and his wife a modicum of extra security in the way of insurance over the those whose employers didn't provide it.

I'd be very surprised if ALPA Canada didn't negotiate health insurance for it's pilots with the larger carriers...

Air Canada website "We value your total wellbeing and that of your family; that is why we offer you a wide variety of benefit plans, including health and dental.."

The rest of the world thinks were a bunch of "backwardass fools" for the way we handle healthcare because we are, but, let's not make all these other systems seem like a panacea. Canadians have a certain pride in their system, as they should, but the fact remains the healthcare isn't equal through the system. Theirs is most likely better than ours, but, I still don't trust our government to handle it.

...and having walked the streets of a few Canadian cities on RONs, they really do seem to have more than their share of homeless who appear to be suffering some form of psychological problem, but I'm no @Maximilian_Jenius .

This is blatantly false. What you're calling "supplemental health insurance" is actually premium boutique care insurance. It allows those people to get premium care like home visits by health care professionals. In other words, the kind of stuff that only rich people get here.

You should talk to the thousands of Canadian ALPA members about how this stuff really works in Canada. I was fortunate to serve in a national position where I got to talk to them on a regular basis. Whenever somebody from the States said something like you said above, they'd look at him like he had three heads and ask where he got that nonsense, then tell us how the rest of the the world thinks we're a bunch of backwardsass fools for clinging to the abhorrent system that we have.

Back