Frontier/Spirit OCC Final Destination Poll

Where will the post merger OCC of Spirit and Frontier be located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My parents decided to move us down to So. Florida (Delray/Boca) my senior year of high school. I couldn't wait to GTFO. Barely survived a few weeks at Sheffield without wanting to jump off of any ugly, densely packed, soulless-looking cookie cutter building after driving out of the neighborhood where every house looks the same.

In fairness, it's a truly personal sense of revolting and loathing and some people might think it's great. After all, taking a vacation to a beach seems ridiculous to me.

Yeah, I was stationed in FL for my last year in the military…and I never got what was so great about it either. The beach is nice but I get bored with it after about 2 hours max. I like the Keys, and it is a fun place to visit when it’s cold up north in the middle of winter…but even then I’m ready to head home after a week or so. I guess I’m a mountains/hiking guy much more than a beach guy. However, a lot of people truly LOVE it there and can’t imagine living anywhere else. I won’t be around for it, but I wonder what things will be like there in 100 years or so (due to climate change.)

Last edited:
No intention of getting into the NE/FL debate here. It’s all very subjective. Everyone wants something different for themselves and their families. I know people that don’t have or don’t ever want kids, so a state with good school districts aren’t important to them. Don’t forget, >60% of our property taxes in the NE subburbs (NJ, CT, LI) go towards public schools. The same kind of education can be had in other low taxed states with private schools, but everyone I’ve spoken to who live in those states (FL, TX, etc) tell me tuition is double that what we pay in annual property taxes. I for one want what’s best for my family/children, and education/healthcare is an important factor to consider when choosing where to live.

I love 4 seasons and look forward to each season and the weather it brings. Come September, I’m so tired of Summer and can’t wait for my basic white b**ch Fall weather and activities. Come November, I’m ready for the holidays and yes, believe it or not, can’t wait for snow. I grew up with snow and learned to love it. Sure it gets old, but then come March/April, spring starts the cycle all over again

Again, different strokes. I personally hope B6 does allow for a split SOC FL/NY so crew members can decide where to live. It’s the best case scenario. As well as a fair and clean seniority integration.

Last edited:
My parents decided to move us down to So. Florida (Delray/Boca) my senior year of high school. I couldn't wait to GTFO. Barely survived a few weeks at Sheffield without wanting to jump off of any ugly, densely packed, soulless-looking cookie cutter building after driving out of the neighborhood where every house looks the same.

In fairness, it's a truly personal sense of revolting and loathing and some people might think it's great. After all, taking a vacation to a beach seems ridiculous to me.

Here's the great British comedian Stephen Fry making a visit to Miami. I feel seen.

That’s always incredibly hard to be moved your senior year of high school! I’ve had to move over 30 times in my life to 8 states and that’s one of the worst times a kid can be moved so I bet that was a terrible experience, and I’m sorry you went through that. :(

You’re right that it definitely depends on your perception and experience. I lived in FL before, once in Titusville and once in Gainesville and I swore I would never, and I mean NEVER live in FL again. The odd thing is people who seem to love the more laid back, kinda country/ Southern/ suburban feel of Central or Northern FL seem to hate or loathe South Florida… but the people that love South Florida seem to strongly dislike Orlando and such. They’re two completely different feels and energies.

I would say if you’re more a homebody or like to stay indoors, have amusement park type entertainment, maybe you’re a big video game/ IT person and the like then Orlando may be more your cup of tea. And that’s ok!

If you’re more an outdoors person, you love boating, fishing, snorkeling/scuba, wildlife, there’s The Everglades, The Keys soooo many more beaches than just South Beach… than FLL/MIA may be more your vibe.

I live in FLL and really don’t go to South Beach, I do love the colorful Art Deco buildings there but it’s over priced and way too touristy. It’s funny to me you say the buildings all look the same because I love architecture and one thing that catches my eye here is how unique and different the houses, neighborhoods and buildings are! At least near me. They’re all so colorful, have a lot of Spanish look to them with beachy and tropical vibes. It’s happy to me. I know Sheffield is up north in Plantation, can’t say how that area looks. But I also love seeing iguanas wandering my around, and even parrots flying by. Had no idea I’d see that! Unlike Orlando where you see alligators at every lake, I really haven’t seen any here… YET. I know they’re around but I think majority might be in Everglades (yes I know they’ll be in any body of water tho). I live near the New River and the water canals and absolutely love seeing all the fishermen go by and standup paddleboarders. It’s just got this very cool marine life, saltwater life I personally love and enjoy. If I can’t have that mountain life anymore, this is it. To each their own idea of paradise…

I still need to explore places like Little Havana, Wynwood with the vast blocks of street art, restaurants and vendors, Venetian Pool, Coral Castle, Vizcaya Museum, Flamingo Gardens and more. I love seeing all the mega fresh farmers markets and food trucks. Yellow Green Market is awesome with smoked meats done right outside and live music and bars to grab a sip while shopping for your fruits and veggies. The art exhibits here are super cool and interactive or immersive like Super Blue, Immersive Van Gogh, Monet, Frida Kahlo and more. Granted drivers here are NUTS, but I love it, lots that appeals to me. :)

I believe you work for DL correct, are you living in ATL? I have never been and want to explore the area and GA in general, but I have honestly heard extremely conflicting things about ATL as well. Some people say ATL is an amazing city, so much to do with excellent food. And yet others have said they saw some truly horrible things and would never go back again. They won’t even apply to DL because of it. It definitely depends on what you see or choose to see, and how you perceive it all. I do wish you could’ve had a better experience here. I’ve lived in cities like Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis and more… next to Denver and Colorado in general, this is my new favorite. <3

Last edited:
No intention of getting into the NE/FL debate here. It’s all very subjective. Everyone wants something different for themselves and their families. I know people that don’t have or don’t ever want kids, so a state with good school districts aren’t important to them. Don’t forget, >60% of our property taxes in the NE subburbs (NJ, CT, LI) go towards public schools. The same kind of education can be had in other low taxed states with private schools, but everyone I’ve spoken to who live in those states (FL, TX, etc) tell me tuition is double that what we pay in annual property taxes. I for one want what’s best for my family/children, and education/healthcare is an important factor to consider when choosing where to live.

I for one love 4 seasons and look forward to each season and the weather it brings. Come September, I’m so tired of Summer and can’t wait for my basic white b**ch Fall weather and activities. Come November, I’m ready for the holidays and yes, believe it or not, can’t wait for snow. I grew up with snow and learned to love it. Sure it gets old, but then come March/April, spring starts the cycle all over again

Again, different strokes. I personally hope B6 does allow for a split SOC FL/NY so crew members can decide where to live. It’s the best case scenario. As well as a fair and clean seniority integration.
100% agree with everything you said. I hope we can all get what’s best for everyone at NK/B6. On a different note when I finally get to explore NY, not just the city, but upstate and all the beautiful nature places it has, you’ll have to give me some tips on where to go and what to see!

Last edited:
100% agree with everything you said. I hope we can all get what’s best for everyone at NK/B6. On a different note when I finally get to explore NY, not just the city, but upstate and all the beautiful nature places it has, you’ll have to give me some tips on where to go and what to see!

Absolutely my friend. There’s a ton of amazing hiking and little towns to explore in the tri-state area. And not to mention the food. PM me anytime.

Respect.

Yes, I live in Atlanta and work for DL. Almost 8 years now and I'm finally warming up to the place, but I stay the heck inside during summer.

Atlanta's this weird conglomeration of neighborhoods with particular characteristics. It's very large, so there's lots to explore. People find their little areas of like-minded people and exist there mostly peacefully amongst one another. I'm the Office Liberal, so I live near Decatur and live in a county where I'm not afraid of black people. One of the few counties that voted not to secede, so Sherman camped out here and left us alone.

One thing I was surprised at was the topography and abundance of trees in the city. Driving through or going through the airport, you'd have no idea.

Anyway, I hope the Spirit and Jet Blue folks all get what they want in a split SOC. It would be just too jarring for too many people either way.

I hope the Spirit and Jet Blue folks all get what they want in a split SOC. It would be just too jarring for too many people either way.

I'm still not convinced the merger will be approved by the feds - at least, not without serious concessions from both carriers. I could be wrong though. As with all things...time will tell!

Respect.

Yes, I live in Atlanta and work for DL. Almost 8 years now and I'm finally warming up to the place, but I stay the heck inside during summer.

Atlanta's this weird conglomeration of neighborhoods with particular characteristics. It's very large, so there's lots to explore. People find their little areas of like-minded people and exist there mostly peacefully amongst one another. I'm the Office Liberal, so I live near Decatur and live in a county where I'm not afraid of black people. One of the few counties that voted not to secede, so Sherman camped out here and left us alone.

One thing I was surprised at was the topography and abundance of trees in the city. Driving through or going through the airport, you'd have no idea.

Anyway, I hope the Spirit and Jet Blue folks all get what they want in a split SOC. It would be just too jarring for too many people either way.

You are a couple hours from the beach and a couple from the mountains. Plus, like you said, Atlanta has a bunch of little neighborhoods and you can find one where you fit in. I would love to go back there. I may be biased though because I went to college right down the road from there.

Last edited:
Another devastating blow for many Spirit employees. For 3 years now the company has been going from one proposed move to the next. First it was a nationwide search for the new Spirit HQ which led to months of uncertainty until Dania Beach was announced. Then came more months of uncertainty and rumor until the company announced their intention to move the OCC to Nashville. Then came COVID and yet more uncertainty until the company decided to do a split OCC between MCO/FLL. Then the lawsuit, and more waiting and uncertainty. The price of housing skyrocketed. Then the F9/NK merger came and went. Would it be Denver? MCO? Nebraska? Now we're talking about possibly upending our lives to live in NYC. Morale within the OCC is at rock bottom and even the born and raised New Yorker's in the OCC are swearing they would rather quit than move back.

I read Jetblue finally acquired them. Too bad about morale, I can relate. Still plenty of time for things to look up rather than down. If they formed a major ULCC like this and grew to the big three size, I would expect improvements for everyone despite location. I will agree NYC is a tough customer
Another devastating blow for many Spirit employees. For 3 years now the company has been going from one proposed move to the next. First it was a nationwide search for the new Spirit HQ which led to months of uncertainty until Dania Beach was announced. Then came more months of uncertainty and rumor until the company announced their intention to move the OCC to Nashville. Then came COVID and yet more uncertainty until the company decided to do a split OCC between MCO/FLL. Then the lawsuit, and more waiting and uncertainty. The price of housing skyrocketed. Then the F9/NK merger came and went. Would it be Denver? MCO? Nebraska? Now we're talking about possibly upending our lives to live in NYC. Morale within the OCC is at rock bottom and even the born and raised New Yorker's in the OCC are swearing they would rather quit than move back.

Agreed with the NYC part. Moved out of NYC to a suburb and will never look back.

Respect.

Same as I said above for NY, when I finally get a chance to explore ATL and GA I'll have to get some tips from you on things to see and do and places to eat! That sounds nice with all the trees, parts of Minneapolis/ St Paul were similar in that respect and it is gorgeous, especially in Spring and Fall. Helps alleviate that concrete jungle feel!

The smart move would be to have two separate OCCs, one in NYC to continue handling JetBlue's flight ops and one in MCO to handle Spirit's flight ops as they changeover to JetBlue's planes and OpSpecs. It would make the employees who want to continue to work and live in a city in Florida happy and the people who want to continue to live and work in New York happy and give the option to flip-flop OCCs if someone from NY wants to move to FL and vice-versa.

Obviously, you can't please everyone, but I think this makes the most sense. Of course, the comfort of employees is often the last thing execs and shareholders care about when it comes to these business decisions, so we'll have to wait and see what the plan is over the next few years. If it does come to moving to one single OCC, I think JetBlue (being the senior partner in the merger) would be quite foolish NOT to take advantage of the massive tax breaks in Florida, rather than stay in NYC, one of the most expensive cities in the world to do business in.

@onlyblueskies
If you read from page 4 here you’ll see some healthy debating on the good and bad of FL living, especially South Florida… as you can see despite how expensive it is I love it.

Also… The DX Spirit team is the best I’ve ever worked with. I absolutely love my coworkers! They’re laid back, helpful, team players, hilarious and like family. Highly recommend.

@onlyblueskies
If you read from page 4 here you’ll see some healthy debating on the good and bad of FL living, especially South Florida… as you can see despite how expensive it is I love it.

Also… The DX Spirit team is the best I’ve ever worked with. I absolutely love my coworkers! They’re laid back, helpful, team players, hilarious and like family. Highly recommend.

put in on the recent bid hopin for at least an interview chance! love those buses

Back