Frontier/Spirit OCC Final Destination Poll

Where will the post merger OCC of Spirit and Frontier be located?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They are currently right on Queensboro Plaza in a building where the Brewster Buffalo was put together in WWII.

Counter point, it's Florida.

E3E5FB2A-B5DA-4BDC-932B-B8B2705E4406.jpeg

Florida is the all around better option for dispatchers. No state income tax and better weather, plus not having the gridlock of getting around in a big city. It also saves the company as they would not significantly have to raise pay and attract a larger pool of interested talent.

Never count on management being logical with regards to the NOC location...or caring what makes the employees happiest. Speaking from experience here.

Counter point, it's Florida.

Yeah.. Florida is not that cheap anymore especially SoFla and I absolutely hate the weather. I love that those are the only two things people always defend Florida over not realizing there are many people that hate that climate. I’ll take my 4 seasons and great hiking over swamp and flat terrain any day. To each their own. Besides, the vast majority of dispatchers don’t live in NYC and don’t deal with the “NYC gridlock” as our hours are off peak/rush hour. 9-5 or a swing shift is a whole different story.

Yeah.. Florida is not that cheap anymore especially SoFla and I absolutely hate the weather. I love that those are the only two things people always defend Florida over not realizing there are many people that hate that climate.

Do you like heat, humidity, and afternoon thunderstorms? Have I got the place for you.

the vast majority of dispatchers don’t live in NYC and don’t deal with the “NYC gridlock” as our hours are off peak/rush hour. 9-5 or a swing shift is a whole different story.

Other than the out of state commuters, can you give some examples of where people live that are good options? Does anyone drive to work or are you pretty much reliant on subway, LIRR, NJ transit, Metro North, etc.

Other than the out of state commuters, can you give some examples of where people live that are good options? Does anyone drive to work or are you pretty much reliant on subway, LIRR, NJ transit, Metro North, etc.

Most people live in NJ, LI, CT and drive in. But trains and busses are always an option if you so choose.

Jetblue is non union, Spirit is PAFCA. A combined company will probably make many promises to try to influence the joint group to vote for no union representation.

If PAFCA wins a joint vote, they should accept nothing less than Southwest plus a cost of living adjustment if NYC is the NOC location.

Jetblue is non union, Spirit is PAFCA. A combined company will probably make many promises to try to influence the joint group to vote for no union representation.

If PAFCA wins a joint vote, they should accept nothing less than Southwest plus a cost of living adjustment if NYC is the NOC location.
Agreed. But highly likely it’ll be a dual NOC
It works for spirit.
it works for United.
no reason it won’t work for B6.
there are plenty of options in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale to use as an NOC.
you save on cost of having to move spirit operations to NYC.
Im sure jet blue will be looking to cut as much cost as possible after having to pay for spirit then turn around and pay to outfit every plane
Which by 2024 spirit will be over 200. it makes the most sense to have a split operation. All that said doesn’t mean it’ll happen. Just the logical thing to do.

Yeah.. Florida is not that cheap anymore especially SoFla and I absolutely hate the weather. I love that those are the only two things people always defend Florida over not realizing there are many people that hate that climate. I’ll take my 4 seasons and great hiking over swamp and flat terrain any day. To each their own. Besides, the vast majority of dispatchers don’t live in NYC and don’t deal with the “NYC gridlock” as our hours are off peak/rush hour. 9-5 or a swing shift is a whole different story.

I do agree I miss 4 seasons, however we have a person that came from B6 down to Spirit to be in FL and near family, and they have told us numerous times how it takes about an hour, to hour and half to drive ONE way to work no matter where you live. EWR was one of the “cheapest” options and yet you’re battling traffic like that every day each shift. Then battling finding parking which they claim takes another 45 minutes as there’s no street parking and the garage is full (and costs money each month to park in). I googled the drive from CT and other areas in LI as well and it was an hour in those spots too.

Right now, I drive 25 mins with traffic from my place in FLL to Miramar. If we choose the massive Dania Beach facility to use as 1 of the OCC locations it’s 10 mins from where I live and it’s surrounded by brand new shops, restaurants and super close the the beaches as well. It’s very nice, there’s 2 large buildings they’re constructing, as well as residences for employees, and they are on the 4th floor now. When I have been researching the most affordable places in and around NY the prices still blow FL out of the water and again are minimum 1 hour drive away. Many people that have lived in NY for years have had their homes/ apartments for a long time getting good prices, and maybe even some rent control so it’s a different story for them. But for new comers it just doesn’t work and isn’t affordable even on B6s pay, especially after inflation.

After announcing JetBlue they are telling us B6 promises no one currently employed by Spirit will have to leave FL, and that B6 already has not only a huge training facility in MCO, but a large corporate support center here in FLL. Just financially makes sense to use this huge facility we’re already building to compliment NYs HDQs. And yes no state income tax! So the NYers that want to stay up north can, and the people that want to be in FL can as well. Hope they keep their promises, or a ton of staff will be leaving. So many here at NK are from South/ Central America or the Caribbean, or FL natives with families and roots, and it’s vital to them to stay here.

For those talking about FL climate, I moved down to FLL/MIA from Colorado and to be honest I was actually dreading it. I absolutely LOVE Colorado and that environment, weather, mountains, hiking and more. I had the same thought that it was super hot, muggy, humid and after hearing constant “Florida Man” stories was not thrilled about what type of people might await me. I won’t lie, Orlando is even more hot and muggy. BUT I have been extremely pleasantly surprised that South Florida is not nearly as hot as I thought it was going to be! It’s been in the upper 80s at the worst and we have a pretty much constant 15kt sea breeze every day. That sea breeze makes a huge difference with the humidity! We get the breeze from the Atlantic and the Gulf down here. You’re not trapped in the middle of the state two hours from any shoreline like Orlando. I’d rather be here than baking in hot 107° Dallas or freezing in Chicago, etc. From what I understand NY can get extremely hot and humid itself, and then you also get cold winters and big snow storms, as well as occasionally being hit by hurricanes yourself. I do agree it would be nice to have upstate New York close by and hiking, but the beaches down here are the most beautiful I have ever seen, and I lived in San Diego and all up and down the West Coast. They truly are a gorgeous tropical blue, white sand and you can swim in this water year-round!

FLL/ MIA is also so multicultural which I love because it gives so much variety and never a boring moment. MIA has so many unique hidden neighborhoods I had no idea about. I have lived here almost a year and I still have barely scratched the surface on things to do and places to see. The food here is amazing as well! I personally do not like Orlando and would never live there if I can prevent it, but a lot of people do like Orlando. I just love the vibe down here by Miami. Lots of NYers have already flocked here. Yes the cost of living is ridiculous now, but like I said still not as bad as NY itself.

My parents decided to move us down to So. Florida (Delray/Boca) my senior year of high school. I couldn't wait to GTFO. Barely survived a few weeks at Sheffield without wanting to jump off of any ugly, densely packed, soulless-looking cookie cutter building after driving out of the neighborhood where every house looks the same.

In fairness, it's a truly personal sense of revolting and loathing and some people might think it's great. After all, taking a vacation to a beach seems ridiculous to me.

Here's the great British comedian Stephen Fry making a visit to Miami. I feel seen.

Back