Frontier pilot arrested

Was exercise a part of this diet? My doctor said the same as yours, he originally wanted to put me on metformin, I was like ummmm... no, for reasons. He was like then you're going to have to watch what you eat, exercise. Lose some weight and he recommended cardio. He said walking/running really helps to bring down blood sugar and also greatly helps losing weight. I only run when I'm being chased by ax murderers. So yeah, not a lot. But I do like to go biking on my road bike/mountain bike. Or hit the elliptical at the gym.
Just an FYI… being prediabetic and on Metformin is not an issue at all. Just report it during your next physical application. No special issuance required and no AME “approval” or anything else needed. I wouldn’t hesitate starting Metformin unless there are other “reasons” like conflicting meds. I’m type II and I am coping with it. Definite lifestyle changes once you get to the “official” status of being diabetic. Feel free to hit me up if you want more resources, have questions, etc.

I’m a big fan of intermittent fasting for type 2 or those teetering. It’s been proven to do wonders for reversing insulin resistance which is what causes type 2. The best example I heard was comparing insulin to cocaine. The more cocaine you do the more it takes to get high because your body gets used to it. Same thing with insulin. The more often you eat the more often your body is exposed to insulin. If you limit your eating windows you can reverse that insulin resistance.
Although tough to do I enjoy up to a 72 hour fast. Can’t do it while at work but my numbers are always remarkably better after a nice fast.

Just an FYI… being prediabetic and on Metformin is not an issue at all. Just report it during your next physical application. No special issuance required and no AME “approval” or anything else needed. I wouldn’t hesitate starting Metformin unless there are other “reasons” like conflicting meds. I’m type II and I am coping with it. Definite lifestyle changes once you get to the “official” status of being diabetic. Feel free to hit me up if you want more resources, have questions, etc.
Was going to PM this, but I can't.

I didn't know Metformin was allowed per the FAA, I figured that it was verboten, that's what I meant when I wrote... reasons. I figured that I would have to get a special issuance, etc. I've been taking berberine instead of Metformin to help control my blood sugar, so far no issues. Thanks for setting me straight though on Metformin. No pun intended.

I didn't know Metformin was allowed per the FAA, I figured that it was verboten, that's what I meant when I wrote... reasons. I figured that I would have to get a special issuance, etc. I've been taking berberine instead of Metformin to help control my blood sugar, so far no issues. Thanks for setting me straight though on Metformin. No pun intended.

Let alone Metamorfin, you can be insulin shot type 2 and still get a special issuance and fly (before, that was a permanent grounding). Now, from what I hear, 6-9 months so you can learn to manage and then back to flying.

Just jump, tuck, and roll. It works in the movies.
It actually works in real life too and should not be discounted. You haven't lived until your pants are on fire in the middle of the desert on a beautiful night. I've been on fire and it sucks, the damage it causes takes a long time to get through and is way more painful. I've been through it, the instant pain from actual flames touching your skin doesn't last that long because the nerve endings die pretty quickly and unless your adrenal gland is impaired you will be immediately awake and in a adrenaline fueled fight or flight mindset. I get ridiculed for telling stories here so I'm not going to get into it.

No worries. It scared the crap out of me when I found out I had Wilford Brimley disease. Metformin is loved by the FAA for many reasons and thusly why it’s not a big deal for prediabetics. Insulin on the other hand is something everyone should strive to stay off of.
Quality (there is a significant difference in what is bottled sometimes) Berberine, pysillium (sp) husk, cinnamon, and a super B complex supplement will all help with controlling/regulating your glucose outside of diet and exercise.
I would avoid carrots, ketchup, oatmeal, pasta/refined breads, bananas, and blended fruit smoothies/juices to name a few.

Let alone Metamorfin, you can be insulin shot type 2 and still get a special issuance and fly (before, that was a permanent grounding). Now, from what I hear, 6-9 months so you can learn to manage and then back to flying.
They've got a whole set of criteria for both T1D and T2D with continuous glucose monitoring. It's 6 to 12 months of monitor data, depending. I'm glad they've been beaten, dragged or otherwise placed into this century on the topic. Barring complications you won't run off the end of TD and DPMA (or whatever your airline calls it) to get back, hopefully.

My girlfriend's a Type I diabetic and her continuous glucose monitor/insulin pump setup is really quite cool. I also just had a CQ instructor who also had a continuous monitor and insulin pump, and he went out on LTD permanently in 2007, sadly, right about the time the protocol was developed and the hardware became widely available.

It actually works in real life too and should not be discounted. You haven't lived until your pants are on fire in the middle of the desert on a beautiful night. I've been on fire and it sucks, the damage it causes takes a long time to get through and is way more painful. I've been through it, the instant pain from actual flames touching your skin doesn't last that long because the nerve endings die pretty quickly and unless your adrenal gland is impaired you will be immediately awake and in a adrenaline fueled fight or flight mindset. I get ridiculed for telling stories here so I'm not going to get into it.

I’m not jumping off the top of a 747

AOPA has a pretty good approved medicine database, as well as others, but be warned it has caveats. Quite often there are interactions between unrelated medications that the FAA doesn’t like which is why many on those databases are listed as a case by case basis. I.E. ABC med for diabetes alone is approved, as well as XYZ for halitosis, but the same airman taking the two combined could be an issue.

They've got a whole set of criteria for both T1D and T2D with continuous glucose monitoring. It's 6 to 12 months of monitor data, depending. I'm glad they've been beaten, dragged or otherwise placed into this century on the topic. Barring complications you won't run off the end of TD and DPMA (or whatever your airline calls it) to get back, hopefully.

My girlfriend's a Type I diabetic and her continuous glucose monitor/insulin pump setup is really quite cool. I also just had a CQ instructor who also had a continuous monitor and insulin pump, and he went out on LTD permanently in 2007, sadly, right about the time the protocol was developed and the hardware became widely available.

That monitoring criteria only applies to Type I. I was out of work for 35 days before I was able to return.

Back