Freight dog wanted for Houston KA200 position

I think you're right. I also think that rightfully or not that 121 guys get lumped into the "zero to hero" pool that doesnt know crap. 121 guys are generally more professional, but professionalism doesnt always equal a good customer experience.

Having said that, theres a lot to be said for a guy that cut his teeth doing everything by himself. It could be a disadvantage in a crew environment, but if it were my pick of who was sitting up front, it would be the freight dawg.
Honestly, I think it could be advantageous if egos don't get in the way. El capitan will have someone reliable next to him that will not buckle. Maybe even take a little comfort in thinking that if he gets overloaded or confused, the FO could pick up the slack.

I also think there might be something to be said about being by yourself. You either deal with it or you're dead/violated. The guy that figures it out and comes out unscathed is no question, competent. Even then, to me, it's not the operation or even being single pilot. It's the PIC time and the outside duties and responsibilities that go with it. I'm stubbornly against the notion that a low time CFI that becomes a high time regional FO is as qualified to go sit right seat at a major/corporate/charter gig as a freight guy. Regional captains are equal to us, and we're equal to them IMO. FOs with a bit of dual given in a Cessna years ago, not so much.

That being said, I've just seen my regional captain buddies(all ONE of them :) ) grow just as much as I have. I've pretty much thrown the "freight dawgs are the best" out the window. Unless I'm talking to z987k or Jfk-Pilot on the phone. Then we're freaking astronauts! Whatever right?:)

Agreed. Can't say I've ever seen any airline service that goes VFR up the canyon from Sun Valley to Chalis. :)

Good point. However, I don't think that would be such a hot idea in turbine equipment for a 135 charter operation with pax in the back. But maybe that's what they're looking for...

Honestly, I think it could be advantageous if egos don't get in the way. El capitan will have someone reliable next to him that will not buckle. Maybe even take a little comfort in thinking that if he gets overloaded or confused, the FO could pick up the slack.

I also think there might be something to be said about being by yourself. You either deal with it or you're dead/violated. The guy that figures it out and comes out unscathed is no question, competent. Even then, to me, it's not the operation or even being single pilot. It's the PIC time and the outside duties and responsibilities that go with it. I'm stubbornly against the notion that a low time CFI that becomes a high time regional FO is as qualified to go sit right seat at a major/corporate/charter gig as a freight guy. Regional captains are equal to us, and we're equal to them IMO. FOs with a bit of dual given in a Cessna years ago, not so much.

That being said, I've just seen my regional captain buddies(all ONE of them :) ) grow just as much as I have. I've pretty much thrown the "freight dawgs are the best" out the window. Unless I'm talking to z987k or Jfk-Pilot on the phone. Then we're freaking astronauts! Whatever right?:)

There are a lot of us 121 guys that did other things besides flight instruct before going 121. I think there were only a couple of years here and there where people even had the chance to go straight from instructing to the regionals.

There are a lot of us 121 guys that did other things besides flight instruct before going 121. I think there were only a couple of years here and there where people even had the chance to go straight from instructing to the regionals.
Yar, I was speaking more about my peers.(class of 2006-2010) This is why generalities suck eh? I try not to generalize, but ya know.:)

Agreed. Can't say I've ever seen any airline service that goes VFR up the canyon from Sun Valley to Chalis. :)
That was an ad hoc normally it's challis to salmon. And it must be VFR in challis or we don't stop.

Salmon air did that run with passengers years ago

All I know is someone needs to get a GoPro video of that run! :)

I imagine it might look something like this:

247687_4654276522258_494615053_n.jpg

It's hard to make out in the picture, but I was at about 300ft following a canal back into our base.

YOUR DAINJEROUS! *bite*

haha, maybe so, but I was completely legal. 1sm and clear of clouds. The nice thing about having your own runway bolted onto the fuselage is that you can almost always make a safe landing. ;)

Edit: Yeah, i got the reference.

haha, maybe so, but I was completely legal. 1sm and clear of clouds. The nice thing about having your own runway bolted onto the fuselage is that you can almost always make a safe landing. ;)

Edit: Yeah, i got the reference.
Do you guys have an exemption to 135.203 to let you operate below 500' in cruise? Or is that sort of a "it's a floatplane, the FSDO don't care" thing?

Do you guys have an exemption to 135.203 to let you operate below 500' in cruise? Or is that sort of a "it's a floatplane, the FSDO don't care" thing?

Well, since this is the internet, it could be argued whether I was in cruise or not since I was about 2 miles from the base coming in to land, and also on pipeline patrol. Also I was in navy's class delta and they were reporting vfr. Also since im over a water way I can make a safe landing.

Long story short, the fsdo don't care, but I don't really go out looking for an excuse to challenge them.

Well, since this is the internet, it could be argued whether I was in cruise or not since I was about 2 miles from the base coming in to land, and also on pipeline patrol. Also I was in class navy's delta and they were reporting vfr. Also since im over a water way I can make a safe landing.

Long story short, the fsdo don't care, but I don't really go out looking for an excuse to challenge them.
Roger that.

Roger that.

I think its also fair to note that we're allowed to use navy's circle mins (400ft I think,) on an ILS to our base. I was at about the same point when the pic was taken, so I was basically "on approach." Just trying to cover my bases ;)

I think its also fair to note that we're allowed to use navy's circle mins (400ft I think,) on an ILS to our base. I was at about the same point when the pic was taken, so I was basically "on approach." Just trying to cover my bases ;)
Yeah gotcha-hope you didn't think I was trying to call you out or anything. It's just always interesting to hear how other ops do things.

Yeah gotcha-hope you didn't think I was trying to call you out or anything. It's just always interesting to hear how other ops do things.

Oh yeah, I knew that wasn't the case, but I'm glad you did because I have no idea who lurks here.

In any case it was a part 91 flight. I still find it funny that our POI lets us take the Navy circling mins into our base for 135 flights, especially since they put up some new high voltage lines at about 250'

Back