Freight dog wanted for Houston KA200 position

Guys, he is an ex-AMFer who wants to pay it forward because he knows the types of flying that freight dawgs do. Give me a break the posting sounds weird? Whoever says this sounds weird, obviously has no time in the charter world, most companies wont even look at you if you have 121 time. There is nothing wrong with telling potentially interested people exactly what this company is looking for. They want a freight guy, so the F what!?

Actually, I do have charter experience. I have SPIFR 135 experience, and 121 experience. The OP has bad attitude written all over it. I've been in the position of having a jerk CP tell me I was lucky to have a job, and don't DARE question what I say! It is amateur hour BS, and I'm WAY past that kind of crap. Again, the OP has that smell all over it. Too bad you don't see it, but someday you will also recognize it and detest it as much as I do.

Thanks for the replies. In 135 passenger ops, very few PASSENGERS want to fly through a line of thunderstorms. Personally I managed to steer clear of TSRA flying freight and ever since. My pilots make the call on weather (and every other safety component) and are only overridden where my view is MORE conservative. None of my pilots are on-call, ever. They are asked if they are available for a flight and are never required to answer the phone. They work a lot less than they fly.

***STEREOTYPE ALERT***
I like freight pilots because they have a lot of stick time and don't lean on the automation. They "typically" do very well in the sim because they have a good scan. They know how to get EVERY aspect of the flight organized and executed in an expeditious manner. They adapt quickly to changes and are used to dealing with the (sometimes difficult) customer. I dislike 121 pilots because they are "typically" (in my experience) very "union-oriented". I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that and am willing to proven wrong on the individual level.

Thanks for the replies. In 135 passenger ops, very few PASSENGERS want to fly through a line of thunderstorms. Personally I managed to steer clear of TSRA flying freight and ever since. My pilots make the call on weather (and every other safety component) and are only overridden where my view is MORE conservative. None of my pilots are on-call, ever. They are asked if they are available for a flight and are never required to answer the phone. They work a lot less than they fly.

***STEREOTYPE ALERT***
I like freight pilots because they have a lot of stick time and don't lean on the automation. They "typically" do very well in the sim because they have a good scan. They know how to get EVERY aspect of the flight organized and executed in an expeditious manner. They adapt quickly to changes and are used to dealing with the (sometimes difficult) customer. I dislike 121 pilots because they are "typically" (in my experience) very "union-oriented". I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that and am willing to proven wrong on the individual level.

In my experience I mostly agree with the above. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

I'd say the above was true for most PAX 135 guys as well. I'd also agree the only hard part about flying the KA200 is not falling asleep.

I would like to add that after a few experiences at my current employer I would never hire a former freight guy. In 100% of my dealings with freight guys they all have the same intolerable trait: trash talking pilots behind their back. It sucks to say it but I've never seen such a consistent behavior in a group of professionals that have the same background.

In 100% of my dealings with freight guys they all have the same intolerable trait: trash talking pilots behind their back. It sucks to say it but I've never seen such a consistent behavior in a group of professionals that have the same background.

That is really unfortunate to hear. And I can't say you are wrong because you have experienced it first hand. All I can say is we aren't all alike.

That is really unfortunate to hear. And I can't say you are wrong because you have experienced it first hand. All I can say is we aren't all alike.

A few former military guys at my current employer blew my ex military stereotype out of the water. Well with the exception of one awful former test pilot.

I'm still waiting on a considerate freight dog. Maybe one day. I try and keep an open mind but I've seen more than a few careers trashed by the cherry air haters and the guy from AMF wow. All I have to say is wow. I don't know what I did but he just won't stop trashing everyone, including me.

A few former military guys at my current employer blew my ex military stereotype out of the water. Well with the exception of one awful former test pilot.

I'm still waiting on a considerate freight dog. Maybe one day. I try and keep an open mind but I've seen more than a few careers trashed by the cherry air haters and the guy from AMF wow. All I have to say is wow. I don't know what I did but he just won't stop trashing everyone, including me.

Sounds more like personal problems than where they came from, but I could be wrong.

Sounds more like personal problems than where they came from, but I could be wrong.

It's just that across the board every single one of the freight dogs does it. Maybe it's the tough life and the trail by fire of the single pilot world.

I flew single pilot PAX for a while and I came out of it pretty humble. My mantra was "what did you • up now." LOL

I just don't understand it. People get better. If you don't believe in that I think it would be pretty hard to go through life.

I flew freight, and I hung up the wanna be ego and chip on the shoulder, long ago. I have nothing to prove, nor claim to. It would frustrate me very much to fly with anyone bitter, or egotistic.

In my experience I mostly agree with the above. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

I'd say the above was true for most PAX 135 guys as well. I'd also agree the only hard part about flying the KA200 is not falling asleep.

I would like to add that after a few experiences at my current employer I would never hire a former freight guy. In 100% of my dealings with freight guys they all have the same intolerable trait: trash talking pilots behind their back. It sucks to say it but I've never seen such a consistent behavior in a group of professionals that have the same background.

I've seen both types in my years of flying freight. There are some great pilots that make excellent crew members and they're others that I wouldn't dare allow my family ride on an aircraft driven by them. The vast majority don't have that personality. I'm actually flying an aircraft that requires two crew member currently.

I see the same lame excuses from the OP as any other operation as far as why a particular segment of pilots aren't qualified. I'm not sure why he's being jumped on though. Too blunt? :)

Flying airplanes isn't hard. Maybe in general, a 121 guy won't do very well on the other side of the field. Maybe in general, freight guys will struggle with glass/fms/jet/crew. I don't buy it for a second. It's lazy HR is all it is. A single pilot Metro guy is just as qualified as a CRJ captain to go to Delta/United/American. A CRJ captain is just as qualified to fly 91/135 pax.

That being said, yes, I rib my regional buddies, they rib me back. It's not personal.

I see the same lame excuses from the OP as any other operation as far as why a particular segment of pilots aren't qualified. I'm not sure why he's being jumped on though. Too blunt? :)

Flying airplanes isn't hard. Maybe in general, a 121 guy won't do very well on the other side of the field. Maybe in general, freight guys will struggle with glass/fms/jet. I don't buy it for a second. It's lazy HR is all it is. A single pilot Metro guy is just as qualified as a CRJ captain to go to Delta/United/American. A CRJ captain is just as qualified to fly 91/135 pax.

I disagree. Mostly with the CRJ captain statement. It's not the flying. It's the cleaning, the PAX and the outside of the box thing the 121 guys don't do well. Mostly it just results in a lot of stress for the people with a 135 background when a 121 person gets involved. There are exceptions to the rule of course.

I don't feel that I'm jumping on the OP.

I just don't understand why every freight guy at my current employer trash talks. It is universal, at least 4 major operators are represented.

I disagree. Mostly with the CRJ captain statement. It's not the flying. It's the cleaning, the PAX and the outside of the box thing the 121 guys don't do well. Mostly it just results in a lot of stress for the people with a 135 background when a 121 person gets involved. There are exceptions to the rule of course.

I don't feel that I'm jumping on the OP.

I just don't understand why every freight guy at my current employer trash talks. It is universal, at least 4 major operators are represented.
Sounds more like an HR screening problem. I feel 1/3 of the AMF guys do indeed think they're gods gift to aviation(fly rather recklessly as well), about a handful shouldn't be flying airplanes, the rest are the same as every other pilot I've ever met. These numbers are made up of course.

I understand where you're coming from, generalities just make me cringe. There's good guys, and gals, across the board. A good interview should weed out the bad ones. Should being the operative word of course. ;)

AMF guys do indeed think they're gods gift to aviation(fly rather recklessly as well),

Most of the *cough* training department *cough*. I seriously have never met anyone more arrogant than the people doing the training in BUR. Been a while since I have been there so I don't know if things have changed.

Metro training felt exactly how training should be at AMF. I don't know if they made a good program for the metro because they are disconnected from BUR or because it is a "hard aircraft to fly" and therefore requires a good program but it is light years ahead of any training I received in BUR.

You have to admit that the rate of people dying has gone down.
You either are all that and a bag of chips or you get let go.
Pretty simple training program really. Chips not included.

We will see how that changes now that 2000 hours, previous 135 and 200 multi is no longer competitive mins. Back to pulse mins and a willingness to take it like a man for brown.

Back