Freedom closing JFK Base 2 May. . .Moving to. . .

surreal1221

CVG.

Not aware if this is in any relation to the current appeal from Delta in regards to the injunction since the court has not released their opinion.

But sure is another interesting step in the DCI-shuffle.

Source appears to be company wide e-mail within the Freedom system. Confirm or deny, anyone?

I can confirm this. It doesn't have anything to do with the Delta appeal, which was held on the 31st and pending decision.

Sent: Tue 2/3/2009 1:40 PM
To: # Freedom Airlines - All
Cc: Foley, Paul
Subject: JFK Base Closure

All,

We have received word that Delta is going to relocate our entire operation to KCVG beginning May 2nd, 2009. We have certainly seen an improvement in our JFK operation however; I feel we will be an even better airline when we have all our resources operating out of one location. The CVG hub will provide a much better operating platform for us as it is away from the northeast airspace, ATC delays, and limited gate space. I expect this move to have a very positive impact on Freedom and our people for the long term.

We are aware that some of you have come to know New York as home. We also realize that the base relocation to CVG may have a significant impact on your way of life and that of your families too. Our decision is driven by our partner's needs and long term strategy. Undertaking such a dramatic operational move is challenging for the company as well. It's paramount that we remain flexible and continue to work together to do our best to maintain optimal operational status.

The flight crew base will be reduced over the next few months in waves however will officially close May 2nd ending with bid 09-05. The maintenance and ground support base will close at the end of the operating day on May 1st, 2009. Please look for more detailed information to come out from each department on specific procedures for the closure and options you will have.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. As always, thanks for your understanding, hard work and support.

Sincerely,

Ryan

Their is another factor to this if this is true. Saving money on employees wages.

IN JFK I would assume they would have a COLA (Cost of living Assistance) allowance, we at IAD have it as well. E.G. $15/hour + $5/hour(COLA)=$20/hour). But if they were in CVG They would only have $15/hour.

But that is my opinion.

Back