Forum Suggestions

if you REALLY want to improve things around here, buy a new friggin server! this is one of the SLOWEST sites i've ever posted on :eek:
that might be on your end....the server hasn't been as slow as it used to be for quite some time now.

I'd check with whomever you're getting your connection from.

I second the idea- lock newbie status from posting new threads, and I'd say up it so that newbies get switched to "Junior Status" after 60 posts, possibly 50 (I forget what it is now, but it should be upped)

Um... what happened to that post I quoted?!?!?
I think if we did that...it would have to relate to everyone on the forum and that won't work for the pilot section of the site.

general topics also gets a ton of the same type of threads... it's just one of those things you have to live with.

How pompous...

I agree with bloomer. However, keep the current stickys and add bloomer's suggestions as new stickys as follows
1) FAA Announcements (Too many repeat threads for these)
2) Application Process and Questions
3) Post-PEPC / Pre-OKC
4) OKC
5) Post-OKC
6) OKC Roommates/Housing Wanted
sorry, but there won't be pages and pages of sticky threads. that's a very disorganized way of doing things.

I think the main reason doug's asking for input is so he can organize the forum and create sub-forums if needed (which is does look like there is a need). keeping the sub-forums simple is going to be KEY!

Sub-forums aren't all that - people just post the same exact threads in each forums just to get a quicker response.
that shouldn't and won't happen. if you do see something like that where the same thread is posted more than once...please do report it to us so we can merge them. :)

I agree hands down with the extended filesystem.. but also don't forget to include a huge glossary of terms and definitions like the one I began a while back. I was hoping it would get stickied but i guess no one liked it.
If you want something stuck, you need to report it so the mods can take care of it....unfortunately, we miss previewing threads all the time and don't really know which ones are more important than others.

albiet, don't get all sticky lovey dovey now...only particular threads will be stuck, not all threads. so even if you ask for it, doesn't necessarily mean it will be done. it's via moderator approval only. haha

I think just doing 3 subforums would be great. One for Newbies with all the things that Newbies want to know like application and application process. Second one for those that have applied and are in the AT-SAT process and waiting to hear if selected for interview. Last one for those that are interviews (PEPC info)/waiting for FOL/headed to OKC. Since the FAA process is kind of in phases, break the sub forum into those 3 phases.

I guess you could add one for those in OKC too, but most of those guys are too busy to browse forums so it might end up being a forum with people that are having questions about OKC rather than people that are in OKC.

That's my .02 and it is probably worth just that. By the way, I think it is great that you guys are wanting this site to be great for ATCer's too...Thanks!

How is limiting newbie replies to 10-15 on existing threads going to cut down on repetitive threads? You still have all the junior/senior memebers posting in the existing threads without limits, therefore the threads are still going to be lengthy. Which means newbies will not " see that their question has already been answered on page 3.''

With some exceptions, probably people who think it somehow makes them more important to create their own "Pubnat 2 folks in HERE" topic, most people who have been about for a little bit have read enough and know enough so that they are the ones ANSWERING the questions opposed to creating new threads asking them. Or they at least have enough sense to ask their question in an already established thread where people are already discussing the question. Anyway, in my mind a topic=thread. I'm talking about people creating new TOPICS not these 700 reply threads. They are what they are.

Back