Forum Suggestions

I think a few subforums would be good...I mean to keep it simple it could be three categories:
  1. Application Process (Announcements, AT-SAT, Geographic Prefs)
  2. Education & Training (OKC, CTI, Developmental)
  3. Career
:yeahthat:

This is the best suggestion. Separating the forums like this would keep all the application threads away from real ATC stuff. It would also be easy to understand and navigate.

It's funny. Go back to the old threads on page 49 of this forum--the ones with titles like "Progressive Taxi" or "Amendments' to clearance while enroute". That real nuts and bolts ATC stuff has been drowned out by an ocean of questions about the OTS application process.

Don't get me wrong, we need a place to talks about applications and the FAA's arcane hiring procedures. But it would be nice if we could keep those discussions away from the actual career stuff. I vote for HonuPineapple's idea.

How bout an ask ATLTRACON...dear Abby section.;) That way I won't have to spend two hours a day answering PM's. 'Course I do type slow and some even say I misspell things.

What, and make all my PM's to you public? I've got an image to keep, man.

Although an "Ask a Controller" section -- Controller as in an experienced one (or two, or more) -- is a pretty great idea, I think. If there are people willing to answer, of course.

I think the way it is is just fine. I hate going to a forum and having to sift through a million categories to find something. Whatevers popular will float to the top and theres not really that many repeat threads.

Although an "Ask a Controller" section -- Controller as in an experienced one (or two, or more) -- is a pretty great idea, I think. If there are people willing to answer, of course.
There used to be an "Ask an Air Traffic Controller" section and it quickly became filled with questions about the application process, while the same thread would be posted in this section. It recently got changed to "Pilot-Controller Questions".

There used to be an "Ask an Air Traffic Controller" section and it quickly became filled with questions about the application process, while the same thread would be posted in this section.

And thats the same thats going to happen if this forum gets split up.

It might be better just to keep everything one spot, but have the mods be a little stricter with new and unnecessary threads. Lock them up with an explanation as to why, or just remove them. (Thats if repeat threads are the issue here, which they appear to be.)
Personally, I liked when the two forums merged into one.

I think a few subforums would be good...I mean to keep it simple it could be three categories:

3. Career

Don't know how reasonable this might be, but how about sub-forums for:

Application Process
Training Process (CTI/OKC/Developmental)
CPC Progression
:yeahthat:Either one of these would probably tidy things up nicely. Or even leave out the 3rd sub-fourm in each suggestion and use the main atc page as career/general.

3. Career

I like that idea too.

I also second the idea of putting people on some kind of probationary period before they can post a new thread. We don't need 4-5 threads for basically the same topic, with 2-3 of them always hovering on the first page. You don't even really have to use the search function on most of the PUBNAT threads, they stay on the first or second page up until the PEPC threads for that announcement start firing up. I've been part of a few other forums that do the same thing and it REALLY cuts down on the number of repetitive "me too" threads.

I like that idea too.

I also second the idea of putting people on some kind of probationary period before they can post a new thread.

A probationary period is not the answer. What if a member who is under this probationary period has a legitiamte "thread"? Sorry, your new, better luck next time!!! This is ridiculous!!! The purpose of a forum is to have access to free flowing information, a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas. To limit one's ability to start a new thread is taking the seed away from creativity and open discussion.

A probationary period is not the answer. What if a member who is under this probationary period has a legitimate "thread"? Sorry, your new, better luck next time!!! This is ridiculous!!! The purpose of a forum is to have access to free flowing information, a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas. To limit one's ability to start a new thread is taking the seed away from creativity and open discussion.

Agreed. Threads just need to be removed if deemed unnecessary, but making new ones should not be restricted.
Most of us on here are "New". It's not like we've all been on here our whole lives.

A probationary period is not the answer. What if a member who is under this probationary period has a legitiamte "thread"? Sorry, your new, better luck next time!!! This is ridiculous!!! The purpose of a forum is to have access to free flowing information, a medium of open discussion or expression of ideas. To limit one's ability to start a new thread is taking the seed away from creativity and open discussion.

Are you related to this dude?

ghandi.jpg

I'm talking about maybe 10-15 or so replies to existing threads...not a ridiculous requirement. Just enough that maybe someone will see that their question has already been answered on page 3, instead of logging in and creating a new thread without even bothering to look first. It isn't hard to find a couple of new threads created every day by someone with a single post that are like "I haven't gotten such and such e-mail yet" to add to the half a dozen that are already there if someone would take 5 minutes and actually look around before pressing "New Thread"

I'm talking about maybe 10-15 or so replies to existing threads...not a ridiculous requirement. Just enough that maybe someone will see that their question has already been answered on page 3, instead of logging in and creating a new thread without even bothering to look first. It isn't hard to find a couple of new threads created every day by someone with a single post that are like "I haven't gotten such and such e-mail yet" to add to the half a dozen that are already there if someone would take 5 minutes and actually look around before pressing "New Thread"

Just for clarification your saying 10-15 replies to existing threads for those under probationary period, right? Not for those with junior or senior status.

Just for clarification your saying 10-15 replies to existing threads for those under probationary period, right? Not for those with junior or senior status.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. As I stated before, it really cuts down on the repetitive threads where a newbie signs up for the forum and creates a new thread without even reading a single post. It helps keep the database size down and also puts less load on the server when searching...and therefore helps keep the forum running faster! :D

Since we're fielding suggestions, maybe it would be a good idea to create a FAQ sticky for basic hiring questions, such as, where to look for new job postings, common terms, etc.

Since we're fielding suggestions, maybe it would be a good idea to create a FAQ sticky for basic hiring questions, such as, where to look for new job postings, common terms, etc.

I'm actually working on something like this -- so I agree. Hopefully I'll have it up soon; it gives me something to do while waiting to hear back from the FAA.

...you know, other than attending to my two jobs, wife, dog, sports, and all that.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. As I stated before, it really cuts down on the repetitive threads where a newbie signs up for the forum and creates a new thread without even reading a single post. It helps keep the database size down and also puts less load on the server when searching...and therefore helps keep the forum running faster! :D

How is limiting newbie replies to 10-15 on existing threads going to cut down on repetitive threads? You still have all the junior/senior memebers posting in the existing threads without limits, therefore the threads are still going to be lengthy. Which means newbies will not " see that their question has already been answered on page 3.''

Back