Forum for guys considering an aviation career change late in life

888Airman

I have been searching the web for a forum/site about older guys who have actually made the jump (or made the leap of faith :)) into the aviation field, and succeeded in forging a career. I was particularly interested in guys who where able to land jobs with the regional/ major/charter/corporate carriers after having started their training in their 40s and 50s. In addition, I was hoping to find a site where successful older pilots were willing to share their experiences with other mature people considering the move... a site where older candidates can glean nuggets of information--and helpful encouragement.

Is anyone on this site aware of any online forums like that?

Cheers,

I have been searching the web for a forum/site about older guys who have actually made the jump (or made the leap of faith :)) into the aviation field, and succeeded in forging a career. I was particularly interested in guys who where able to land jobs with the regional/ major/charter/corporate carriers after having started their training in their 40s and 50s. In addition, I was hoping to find a site where successful older pilots were willing to share their experiences with other mature people considering the move... a site where older candidates can glean nuggets of information--and helpful encouragement.

Cheers,
There are lots of different careers in aviation, being a pilot is the one that most find most attractive. More info on what you'd like to achieve is needed, there is a shortage across the board for skilled people. Some people that don't fly make a pretty good living.

Cheers,

When I was based in phx in 2012 my FO went from Wall Street to airline gig. He was 51. If he made it in 2012(much different outlook) you can definitely make it in 2018 and beyond

The average age in my new hire class was mid 40’s. Two were in their 50’s. So it is doable, just make sure you have a financial backing because the training is expensive and the time building gigs don’t pay all that much.

You'll be fine getting on with the regionals or just about anywhere, but you're looking at at least 40K (more likely) and a lot of time to build the ratings. There are accelerated programs that cost more, but you might not be able to hold much of a job while you do them. I've worked with some guys who got into aviation in their 30s and 40s and they were great guys who are both doing well in their careers last I checked.

What's your background? There are other important jobs around aviation that might be a much better fit for.

Got my first rating (glider) at 50. Spent next 5 years as commercial glider pilot giving sight-seeing & acro rides in gliders. Got first power rating at age 55. Flew tow planes, jump planes, 135 cargo. Got on at 135 airline at age 60. Having a blast! Good money, great people to work/fly with, dream come true.
Got all my ratings super cheap via networking at gliderport. Used 150 glider hours towards commercial SEL. Never went to a flight school. Passed all writtens with home study, took all check rides with FISDO (free).
Go for it! There's plenty of fun, well paid flying jobs out there.

Currently age 39, and have 5 more years until I retire from the fire department.....at that time I plan to make the career change ! So if all goes well I'm looking at 44 / 45 to be starting ( fingers crossed the status of the industry is like it is now ). I have private, and have finished all requirements for instrument. Been researching loans to finish up training and start working on the side as a CFI. Few guys in my field have done it, and I've met and talked to many that were older even

Currently age 39, and have 5 more years until I retire from the fire department.....at that time I plan to make the career change ! So if all goes well I'm looking at 44 / 45 to be starting ( fingers crossed the status of the industry is like it is now ). I have private, and have finished all requirements for instrument. Been researching loans to finish up training and start working on the side as a CFI. Few guys in my field have done it, and I've met and talked to many that were older even

If you can figure out how to avoid the loans, that's your best bet. You'll be eating slim the first few years. Your FD retirement will help a lot though.

I’m single, no kids, still have paramedic cert and will do that on the side ..... think I’ll be ok !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers,

There are several dozen out there, a few popular and very active ones on Facebook too.

When you stumble upon them, please for the love of tacos, use the SEARCH feature. You’re not alone, and every conceivable question has been asked before.

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

I'm 39 and am in the middle of doing this as well. Within the next two months I will hopefully be getting my Commercial, Multi Add-on and CFI (The Multi was going to be later, but a miscommunication in the commercial requirements has made it my most economical option at this point).

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I'll look forward to hearing how you're progressing.

I'm 39 and am in the middle of doing this as well. Within the next two months I will hopefully be getting my Commercial, Multi Add-on and CFI (The Multi was going to be later, but a miscommunication in the commercial requirements has made it my most economical option at this point).

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I'll look forward to hearing how you're progressing.

There seems to be quite a number of us around! That is encouraging. I have earned my PPL (SEL) license and I am striving to get my multi. I will definitely keep posting and giving updates.

Got my first rating (glider) at 50. Spent next 5 years as commercial glider pilot giving sight-seeing & acro rides in gliders. Got first power rating at age 55. Flew tow planes, jump planes, 135 cargo. Got on at 135 airline at age 60. Having a blast! Good money, great people to work/fly with, dream come true.
Got all my ratings super cheap via networking at gliderport. Used 150 glider hours towards commercial SEL. Never went to a flight school. Passed all writtens with home study, took all check rides with FISDO (free).
Go for it! There's plenty of fun, well paid flying jobs out there.

This is encouraging! The FISDO avenue is new to me. Did you rent an airplane for the check-rides?

Back