Forum for guys considering an aviation career change late in life

"This is encouraging! The FISDO avenue is new to me. Did you rent an airplane for the check-rides?"

Gliderports are an excellent place to network. You'll meet instructors who'll teach you for free or for cheap, and you'll meet airplane owners who, once they get to know you and your instructor, will rent you their planes cheap.
And where do you suppose many airline pilots hang out during their layovers? Well, if there's a glider port nearby, that's where they go. My buddy took up Delta's chief pilot and family for rides. "Come see me when you're ready," he told my friend and gave him his card. I took up Alaska's chief pilot a couple of times. If I were younger I'd now be at Alaska or somewhere else. No better place to network than a glider port.

FISDO checkrides: I found them to be fair. No fails, never had an issue. Further, the FISDO guy/gal has no incentive to fail you so that he/she can charge you again for a second ride (unfortunately, there are creeps out there who do that). The FISDO guy/gal wants to get it over with so they can get back to work.

And yes, I rented a twin and a complex single from a flight school for a couple of rides and to get some multi time. The rest of the time was glider time and a friend's 152.

The question is not 'Can you do it.' The only question that needs to be asked is: 'How badly do you want it?'

"This is encouraging! The FISDO avenue is new to me. Did you rent an airplane for the check-rides?"

Gliderports are an excellent place to network. You'll meet instructors who'll teach you for free or for cheap, and you'll meet airplane owners who, once they get to know you and your instructor, will rent you their planes cheap.
And where do you suppose many airline pilots hang out during their layovers? Well, if there's a glider port nearby, that's where they go. My buddy took up Delta's chief pilot and family for rides. "Come see me when you're ready," he told my friend and gave him his card. I took up Alaska's chief pilot a couple of times. If I were younger I'd now be at Alaska or somewhere else. No better place to network than a glider port.

FISDO checkrides: I found them to be fair. No fails, never had an issue. Further, the FISDO guy/gal has no incentive to fail you so that he/she can charge you again for a second ride (unfortunately, there are creeps out there who do that). The FISDO guy/gal wants to get it over with so they can get back to work.

And yes, I rented a twin and a complex single from a flight school for a couple of rides and to get some multi time. The rest of the time was glider time and a friend's 152.

The question is not 'Can you do it.' The only question that needs to be asked is: 'How badly do you want it?'

Hear! Hear! Just one additional question (I should have asked this earlier)...FISDO stands for Flight Standards District Office, right?

This is encouraging! The FISDO avenue is new to me. Did you rent an airplane for the check-rides?

You have a PPL, pursuing multi, and you weren't aware of the role of the FSDO? I'm not throwing shade or anything, I'm just surprised - where are you located? The reason I ask is that the FAA has been known to be...inconsistent....with the respective operations of their FSDOs so I'm curious as to how hands-off the one in your area is.

By the way - the guidance to most of the FSDOs these days is to send as many check rides - including the CFI-A - to DPEs as possible.

You have a PPL, pursuing multi, and you weren't aware of the role of the FSDO? I'm not throwing shade or anything, I'm just surprised - where are you located? The reason I ask is that the FAA has been known to be...inconsistent....with the respective operations of their FSDOs so I'm curious as to how hands-off the one in your area is.

By the way - the guidance to most of the FSDOs these days is to send as many check rides - including the CFI-A - to DPEs as possible.

Lol...No, I am not in the US. I reside in the Caribbean.

I appreciate the thread and input. I'm 43 and taking steps to make a career change into aviation as well. My grandfather was a pilot and my dad is currently a commercial 135 pilot. After flirting with the idea for many years, I'm finally deciding to go all in. I'm currently doing ppl ground school online and taking the written next week. The biggest decision is what path to take for the rest of the training. ATP school is nearby along with another accelerated prgram at an FBO. I'm considering paying cash for the accelerated ppl at the FBO then a small loan for the rest of the certs there (using savings to offset loss of income) or get into major debt with ATP. The real appeal of ATP to me is the networking and airline intergration. Curious if saving time and money outweighs what the ATP path offers?

I appreciate the thread and input. I'm 43 and taking steps to make a career change into aviation as well. My grandfather was a pilot and my dad is currently a commercial 135 pilot. After flirting with the idea for many years, I'm finally deciding to go all in. I'm currently doing ppl ground school online and taking the written next week. The biggest decision is what path to take for the rest of the training. ATP school is nearby along with another accelerated prgram at an FBO. I'm considering paying cash for the accelerated ppl at the FBO then a small loan for the rest of the certs there (using savings to offset loss of income) or get into major debt with ATP. The real appeal of ATP to me is the networking and airline intergration. Curious if saving time and money outweighs what the ATP path offers?

What FBO, has the accelerated flight program?

Got my first rating (glider) at 50. Spent next 5 years as commercial glider pilot giving sight-seeing & acro rides in gliders. Got first power rating at age 55. Flew tow planes, jump planes, 135 cargo. Got on at 135 airline at age 60. Having a blast! Good money, great people to work/fly with, dream come true.
Got all my ratings super cheap via networking at gliderport. Used 150 glider hours towards commercial SEL. Never went to a flight school. Passed all writtens with home study, took all check rides with FISDO (free).
Go for it! There's plenty of fun, well paid flying jobs out there.

Hello again Gliderboy, where did you successfully complete your FAA written exams? A FSDO rep told me the centers conducted checkrides only. He didn't offer a written exam center alternative.

I think FSDO's are trying to focus on CFI rides and would rather have DPE's do the rest. At least that's what I heard from mine yesterday. All in all, though, the checkrides are a small piece of the cost.

I think FSDO's are trying to focus on CFI rides and would rather have DPE's do the rest. At least that's what I heard from mine yesterday. All in all, though, the checkrides are a small piece of the cost.

The guidance out here is that ALL checkrides - including CFI - are going to DPEs. The FSDO may pick one up for quality control or training, but there is a very short list of DPEs who are doing the CFI rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back