Forbes: American airlines brings fuel reserve guidelines to regionals - dispatchers balk

The problem is that managers and number crunchers want to get involved in the decision making process when they don't have the first clue of what's actually going on.

American planned their flights that way because the dispatchers got paid for it. It creates an unsafe situation and shame on the crews for accepting such low fuel loads. But hell, pay me an extra $17k a year and every one of my flights world divert too. Glad that's gone.

Well, first off I can't recall a hearing stories of AA flights diverting en mass on a daily basis. And when I read their fuel bonus plan it looked like it was reasonable, there was a penalty for too little planned and acceptance for IR Ops as I recall. That being said, the idea of paying the dispatchers to short fuel is kinda sketchy.

There are fuel abusers everywhere. And those individuals should be counseled on an individual basis. Same in the cockpit, we've all had to endure captain What If who one time had to hold for 5 minutes going into OKC on a clear day and rufuesed to land the 757 with less than 15,000 lbs. you want a fuel program to work, you have to manage the abusers and assign a reasonable workload. Otherwise, fuel becomes the easy way out and since Sandy add 45 minutes additional to every flight without consequence why should I have to deal? But it's hard to find managers that mange well.

I'm not sure what impresses me more about this article; the timing or the substance. Either way, I can't wait to read about the injustices and struggles of the air cargo dispatcher industry. You know, because he is a good guy and stands up for his people.....

The problem is that managers and number crunchers want to get involved in the decision making process when they don't have the first clue of what's actually going on.

American planned their flights that way because the dispatchers got paid for it. It creates an unsafe situation and shame on the crews for accepting such low fuel loads. But hell, pay me an extra $17k a year and every one of my flights world divert too. Glad that's gone.

We operated 4 million flights under that program. Not unsafe, no problems and no more good weather diversions then any other airline. Your comments reflect how much research you have done.

I'm not sure what impresses me more about this article; the timing or the substance. Either way, I can't wait to read about the injustices and struggles of the air cargo dispatcher industry. You know, because he is a good guy and stands up for his people.....

Timing is everything.

Well, first off I can't recall a hearing stories of AA flights diverting en mass on a daily basis. And when I read their fuel bonus plan it looked like it was reasonable, there was a penalty for too little planned and acceptance for IR Ops as I recall. That being said, the idea of paying the dispatchers to short fuel is kinda sketchy.

There are fuel abusers everywhere. And those individuals should be counseled on an individual basis. Same in the cockpit, we've all had to endure captain What If who one time had to hold for 5 minutes going into OKC on a clear day and rufuesed to land the 757 with less than 15,000 lbs. you want a fuel program to work, you have to manage the abusers and assign a reasonable workload. Otherwise, fuel becomes the easy way out and since Sandy add 45 minutes additional to every flight without consequence why should I have to deal? But it's hard to find managers that mange well.

I can tell you that even with the program, there are still some who carry amounts that some might view as excessive.

In the planning process, it's not about putting the lowest, or the highest, it's about putting on the right amount. The right amount in our circles is very objective. The former Aiways dispatchers obviously have their opinions and I think most of them were derived from the fear mongering of their local president. While I respect their opinions, I don't agree with them.

Thanks for researching the issue and reading the program before rendering an opinion.

Back