Forbes: American airlines brings fuel reserve guidelines to regionals - dispatchers balk

Kev

RNP 2112
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed...mpaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix#16cea588753a

As it brings fuel management guidelines to its regional partners, American Airlines is encountering resistance from the regional dispatchers, who don’t want to be disciplined if they add reserve fuel above recommended levels.

For decades, reserve fuel allocations have periodically been a point of contention, with unions for both pilots and dispatchers raising concerns that airlines too eagerly limit the amount of reserve fuel aircraft carry in the interest of reduced costs.

“At the regionals, the mainline carriers pay for fuel, but the operating carrier still has the final say on how much fuel is carried,” said Danny Persuit, president of Transport Workers Local 549, which represents about 800 dispatchers at American partners Horizon (part of Alaska); ExpressJet (part of [URL='http://www.forbes.com/companies/skywest-inc']SkyWest
SKYW +%), Air Wisconsin, and Envoy.

More specifically, the Federal Aviation Administration entrusts fuel decisions jointly to pilots and dispatcher. As a result, Persuit said, “the mainline carriers have very little control in this process.” They would like to have more.

In recent months, an American Airlines representative has called on the airline’s regional partners, seeking to convince them to adopt the same fuel guidelines used at American’s mainline and wholly-owned regional operations, including Envoy.

The effort has caused conflict, Persuit said, because part of the methodology is that, “American started tracking each dispatcher’s fuel performance and publishing it for all the dispatchers.”

Now, he said, “regional airlines, at the direction of the mainline partners, are threatening and in some cases implementing disciplinary action against dispatchers for non-compliance.

“This can happen even in cases when the dispatchers’ flight planning software and the flight management system on the aircraft are not the same and the pilot asks for additional fuel,” Persuit said. In such cases, he said, “the dispatcher has to account for the additional fuel on the release, but will take a hit on fuel stats to do so.”

At the outer margins, fuel reserve guidelines can involve flight safety. But in fact, the outer margins are almost never approached. “As far as the number of times that anybody dips into reserves {which enable 75 minutes of flying}, it’s less than one tenth of 1 % of flights,” said American spokesman Casey Norton.

Given that each of the parties – airlines, pilots, and dispatchers – is firmly committed to safety, the debate tends to be a matter of jurisdiction: Who should make the call on fuel reserves?

It is reasonable to suggest that the very existence of the debate underscores the high level of safety achieved in U.S commercial aviation, which is perhaps the safest system of transportation in the history of the world. That is partially a result of labor’s influence.

American’s reserve fuel policy exceeds FAA requirements. American typically targets a reserve of 75 minutes of fuel upon arrival. The FAA minimum is 45 minutes, and American adds either 30 minutes or whatever is needed to reach the nearest diversion airport. At Philadelphia International Airport, which typically has just one runway available for landing, dispatchers tend to recommend 85 minutes of fuel, Persuit said.

When a pilot gets down to 45 minutes of fuel, Persuit said, “You are getting into the holy water.” Get down to 30 minutes, and a pilot would very possibly request an emergency landing.

In 2010, a dispute occurred when American — then operating under a different management team than it has today — sought to impose fuel guideline management on mainline operations.

“American Airlines is aggressively trying to reduce the amount of fuel remaining on board when a plane lands,” The Chicago Tribune reported at the time. “Its management {is sparring} with the airline’s pilots and dispatchers over who determines how much fuel a plane needs to reach its destination, a call traditionally made by the flight’s captain.”

American eventually dropped the effort. “The old insidious intimidation program, which demanded that pilots file reports to justifying her or his request for more fuel, no longer exists at the new American Airlines,” APA spokesman Dennis Tajer said Thursday.

“No matter the corporate cost savings program in effect, our captains by the authority and responsibility of their FAA license, in a partnership with our dispatchers, have the last and final say on ensuring the highest level of safety and reliability for every single flight,” Tajer said.

In 2012, the US Airways management team — which now runs American Airlines — sought to implement a fuel management program with US Airways dispatchers, Persuit said. “We had fuel management meetings, they disciplined one guy, we grieved it, and they stopped {the program},” he said.

American Airlines dispatchers had a fuel management program that included financial incentives for efficient fuel management. But the incentives are not part of a new contract, covering American and US Airways dispatchers, that takes effect this month, Persuit said. Rather, the new contract provides higher pay levels.

With the alterations sought by unions, American’s fuel management programs now seem to have been broadly accepted at the mainline and wholly owned regionals.

“Pilots and dispatchers now work together on this,” Norton said. “The decisions made at the mainline come down to a collaborative effort between the pilot and the dispatcher. Safety is paramount to everything we do.”

The program’s benefits include the environmental aspect. “We have been recognized as one of the best companies for green energy usage and reducing our carbon footprint,” he said.

Now, American wants to extend the guidelines to its regional partners. TWU is assuring that regional dispatchers have a voice in implementation.

[/URL]

A very slippery slope.

Any time management tries to get into the business of flying or dispatching the planes Bad Things(tm) happen.

History has shown that discouraging crews from putting safety first and attempting to intimidate them into compliance has consequences ranging from economic to dire. God forbid American or one of her regionals declares a fuel emergency or worse, flames one out in the air. This article will be the first one paraded out by the media, giving us all a black eye.

Perhaps the better alternative is for American to encourage staffing, workload, and tools to effectively communicate and anticipate when and where delays are likely to occur. I have to wonder why American is kiting an hour and a quarter worth of fuel everywhere they go, especially when it's Chamber of Commerce weather from block to block.

I think we all need to be careful of "fuel creep" and be mindful to fuel for the mission, but the law says that those decisions are solely to be made between the dispatcher and PIC for a reason. That regulation was written in blood.

At my shop we get bi-monthly numbers showing fuel usage, taxi fuel usage and alternate selection. We also have a fuel tool that gives us various options for fuel planning. Some of us use it and some don't. I use it as a guideline but that is it. I'm always in or near the middle on the fuel charts. I don't see a problem in providing tools and feedback, but if those numbers shouldn't be used to discipline a dispatcher.

Typical cheapo Airways policies.... PSA was recently told they were no longer allowed to round up the fuel, "it costs too much!" Good luck on that fueler getting exactly 6246 pounds into the airplane. The scare tactics in DAY are ridiculous when it comes to fuel, and most of the brand new dispatchers don't have the balls to stand up to it and protect their license.

Goes both ways. I just had an idiot PSA captain refuse to call dispatch and get his alternate removed and defuel (it was perfect VFR) kick me off the JS along with 3 paying pax. When I suggested it he acted like it was impossible and I was out of my mind for suggesting it. What a moron.

Goes both ways. I just had an idiot PSA captain refuse to call dispatch and get his alternate removed and defuel (it was perfect VFR) kick me off the JS along with 3 paying pax. When I suggested it he acted like it was impossible and I was out of my mind for suggesting it. What a moron.

Have you ever defueled? I haven't either. It doesn't really happen.

Have you ever defueled? I haven't either. It doesn't really happen.
Yea I have multiple times. It's not a crazy request by any means. He inconvenienced 3 paying pax when the flights were full all day. They had to pay each of them $400. How much do we pay for gas? $1.50 a gallon? It would have been cheaper and not taken as long as they spent messing around trying to find their bags. You have a brain. Use it.

You fell victim to PSA dispatch. lol they add alternates because that's how they get extra fuel on plane, precautionary alternate adds aren't tracked lol. Now to be fair, some stations refuse to defuel, and sometimes it can take forever. Bump 3 people or delay the whole plane and miss everyone's connections? Of course if it's VFR never should have added the alternate, assuming other factors weren't requiring it's addition. But two things that are lacking at PSA: training and common sense. And he probably refused to call dispatch because it most likely would have been an exercise in futility.

Defueling is rarely a quick task. Deleting a not required alternate and burning that fuel enroute is an option. Once fueled, you run into time problems. The time it takes to defuel or burn in taxi may blow all the connections on the return flight or the current flight if going to a hub. Yeah you helped the 3 or 4 people on that flight but piss off the misconnected 50 on that flight or the return flight. Weight and balance stuff should ideally be done before fueling as you can start screwing over more people by taking delays trying to get the extra people on.

You fell victim to PSA dispatch. lol they add alternates because that's how they get extra fuel on plane, precautionary alternate adds aren't tracked lol. Now to be fair, some stations refuse to defuel, and sometimes it can take forever. Bump 3 people or delay the whole plane and miss everyone's connections? Of course if it's VFR never should have added the alternate, assuming other factors weren't requiring it's addition. But two things that are lacking at PSA: training and common sense.
They had tanker and alternate fuel and no MELs requiring extra gas. The flight was already an hour and a half late. From the time he realized they were overweight until they pushed was about 45 minutes. Easily enough time to defuel. It was in PHL and they most definitely have that capability. And plus, the plane doesn't move until the captain says so.

They had tanker and alternate fuel and no MELs requiring extra gas. The flight was already an hour and a half late. From the time he realized they were overweight until they pushed was about 45 minutes. Easily enough time to defuel. It was in PHL and they most definitely have that capability. And plus, the plane doesn't move until the captain says so.
Of course but believe me, nothing happens quick in PHL. But you're right, they also don't understand how to tanker properly. Tankering up to max landing weight is why these issues occur. If they had just left a 750-1000 pound buffer you'd be on your way home. Training is a huge issue, but it costs money, and they refuse to spend it.

Defueling is rarely a quick task. Deleting a not required alternate and burning that fuel enroute is an option. Once fueled, you run into time problems. The time it takes to defuel or burn in taxi may blow all the connections on the return flight or the current flight if going to a hub. Yeah you helped the 3 or 4 people on that flight but piss off the misconnected 50 on that flight or the return flight. Weight and balance stuff should ideally be done before fueling as you can start screwing over more people by taking delays trying to get the extra people on.
I understand those contingencies but they didn't apply. He handled the situation extremely poorly. Had he been proactive he could have gotten out of there quicker and with a full load.

Of course but believe me, nothing happens quick in PHL. But you're right, they also don't understand how to tanker properly. Tankering up to max landing weight is why these issues occur. If they had just left a 750-1000 pound buffer you'd be on your way home. Training is a huge issue, but it costs money, and they refuse to spend it.
Been based there the last 3 years with mainline and flew through the RJ world before so I'm quite familiar with how exceptional the service in Philly is haha. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Defueling at most places is a bitch. That fuel really can't be used by any other carrier after it comes out of your plane (there may be a testing requirement that can mitigate that but generally that's the policy). So you'd have to find an empty truck (can't mix with the "clean" fuel in the truck). Defuel. Set that truck aside for the next airplane from airline X. It's a bitch if you don't have your own fuel trucks. Even then it's a last resort.

What shoulda happened is the dispatcher not planned the alternate and the captain call and talk about it before fueling up. BUT, I'm guessing this situation was a regional and the dispatcher uses fuel/alternate to mitigate workload because the airline short staffs (phone call avoidance fuel) and the captain is being pressured to turn the plane on time or he'll have to write up a 20 page dissertation on why he took a 3 minute delay to carry 3 paying pax.

But the accountants know better than you how much fuel one needs based on their extensive aviation experience. I'm lucky that we have a pretty hands off fuel policy until a new director comes in. And he/she demands a new fuel conservation push. And that lasts until the first diversion (usually less than a month). The it's back to business as normal until there's some one new is put in charge.

PHL-ORF is a very short flight. Short of putting yourself in a holding pattern, not much you can burn enroute. Defueling and taxi burn are time consuming. CRJ-200 is really balance critical and getting ballast can be a pain and result in more fuel needing to be burned to take a jumpseater. Short haul CRJ-200 will always even with light fuel be a challenge weight and balance wise.

Back