FO question

Flight attendants wear two stripes at some carriers..... maybe a hopeful pilot?

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't let a FA be PF at about 200 AGL, but that's just my style.

It's a "Junior FO". A position you'll find at a lot of carriers outside the US. They wear two stripes until a certain point (3 years?) at which point they get a third stripe (and presumably a pay raise)

I think they call them a safety pilot or something, since they have very low experience. Because most airlines have a direct FO and I think the other is a safety pilot.

Standard practice in Europe for an FO with a Frozen ATPL is to wear two stripes. And upon warming that there F/ATPL to a real ATPL they get three stripes.

Hope that helps.

That's one brave captain having his feet flat on the floor like that.

It didn't matter who was sitting next to me when I was signing for an aircraft, I always had my feet up on the pedals.

Maybe I spent too much time training people, but I didn't start moving my feet back until I got into the right seat of an RJ, and even then I usually had to make a conscious effort to do so as I'd usually find myself at the marker calling the tower with my feet up there.

That's one brave captain having his feet flat on the floor like that.

It didn't matter who was sitting next to me when I was signing for an aircraft, I always had my feet up on the pedals.

Maybe I spent too much time training people, but I didn't start moving my feet back until I got into the right seat of an RJ, and even then I usually had to make a conscious effort to do so as I'd usually find myself at the marker calling the tower with my feet up there.

Both pilots having their feet on the rudder pedals at the same time is a safety hazard, as far as I'm concerned.

You think so? I don't, but I've had enough people start to lose control of the aircraft on me that when it's my name on the dotted line, I'm not going to let them run us off the runway.

You don't have to have pressure on the pedals to have your feet there and ready to get to work if the need arises.

Also what'd you do on takeoff as a captain? Did you perform the abort at 9E, or did the FO's do it?

You don't have to have pressure on the pedals to have your feet there and ready to get to work if the need arises.

If there is a severe compressor stall, engine failure, etc... that causes the airplane to make a sudden and sharp yaw to one direction, the PF needs full rudder authority to handle the situation. If the other pilot's foot gets in the way because it was resting on them, or even hovering just over them, then that's a safety issue.

Also what'd you do on takeoff as a captain? Did you perform the abort at 9E, or did the FO's do it?

For the first few years I was there it was the PF's abort. Right before I upgraded we switched to a Captain's only abort, so that was the policy for my last couple of years there. As a Captain, if the FO was flying, my feet always stayed on the floor. If an abort was necessary, I could quickly get my feet on the brakes without having them resting on the pedals.

If there is a severe compressor stall, engine failure, etc... that causes the airplane to make a sudden and sharp yaw to one direction, the PF needs full rudder authority to handle the situation. If the other pilot's foot gets in the way because it was resting on them, or even hovering just over them, then that's a safety issue.

For the first few years I was there it was the PF's abort. Right before I upgraded we switched to a Captain's only abort, so that was the policy for my last couple of years there. As a Captain, if the FO was flying, my feet always stayed on the floor. If an abort was necessary, I could quickly get my feet on the brakes without having them resting on the pedals.

I strongly agree with this actually. The PF should be flying, and the PNF should be monitoring. Feet on the pedals does not equal monitoring. Monitoring involves being ready to immediately and seamlessly being able to transition to being PF if required (by that I mean not having your seat all the way back, and chair slightly reclined). If you have your feet there, you could block the PF, sides' its his/her airplane anyway, let them fly the damn airplane, there's no need to try to block them out, or not trust them, how much time does it take to swoop in and save the day if you need to? Not long, and if you wait long enough for it to be a problem, you're not far enough a head of the airplane for it to matter anyway. Although I do agree that when its your ass on the dotted line (take off/landing approaches etc.) you should be ready to keep your ass alive, I don't think you need be riding the pedals at every moment.

It doesn't matter if your the PF or PNF, both should have their feet on the pedals during landing roll. As far as the topic of this thread, there are many airlines that have 2 striped FOs. Emirates is one of the bigger ones. Personally I prefer 3 since 2 can be mistaken as a Flight Attendant.

It doesn't matter if your the PF or PNF, both should have their feet on the pedals during landing roll. As far as the topic of this thread, there are many airlines that have 2 striped FOs. Emirates is one of the bigger ones. Personally I prefer 3 since 2 can be mistaken as a Flight Attendant.

Honestly why? It doesn't take that much time to move your feet to the pedals, and you're restricting movement before then. So again, why? So you can both brake? Not really an issue.

It's a training habit. If you flight instructed for a long period of time, you're going to do it. If you didn't, you won't.

I think I'm right, you think you're right. We both have our reasons for it. If you wanna come down to NJC today, I can give you a whole host of reasons of why I'd want my hands and feet able to get to the controls in a split second. You might not have had the same experiences as me that shaped my opinion, and that's fine. But I didn't pull this one outta my butt.

Back