FO question

Ahh, sorry, I missed the part about it being required. I though it was just a question of whether some airplanes automatically correct for engine failure yaw.

The yaw damp is required equipment on most jets, though.

Not on the EMB-145! You can defer that sucker, but it takes the autopilot with it when you fly with that deferral.

Yaw damp turned ON during takeoff?

AROO? I'm not a 737 driver, but I've never heard of a YD being turned on during takeoff. We'd kick ours on around 400' ish in the EMB-145.

Every Boeing I've flown, (737-200/800, 757, 767) has the YD on as part of the before start CL.

The 737's Rudder surface is too big for you to move with your feet alone, to meet certification the Rudder is on the Standby Hydraulic (HYD#3) and is powered by the Essential Bus, i.e. if there are available electrons on the plane, its powered. Presumably the YD can be powered off the Essential Bus as well, but I don't know the aircraft at that level of detail. Either way the Rudder hydraulically accuated only. Only the Ailerons and Elevators have cables and those are a PITA to use.

The 737's Rudder surface is too big for you to move with your feet alone, to meet certification the Rudder is on the Standby Hydraulic (HYD#3) and is powered by the Essential Bus, i.e. if there are available electrons on the plane, its powered. Presumably the YD can be powered off the Essential Bus as well, but I don't know the aircraft at that level of detail. Either way the Rudder hydraulically accuated only. Only the Ailerons and Elevators have cables and those are a PITA to use.

EDIT: Ok figured out how to phrase this.

The rudder isn't too big to move with your feet alone, it's just how Boeing decided to move the thing. You could connect the yoke/pedals to a control tab which will move the control surface like the DC-9/MD-8X/B-717 does, or you can use hydraulics. By doing this, you're not moving the whole control surface with your feet, but only a tab. The tab will then move the control surface, but it's certainly possible to do with no hydraulic assist.

I'd agree thats a perfectly acceptable way to do it, however, IIRC on the 737 no such tab exists, and therefore, at least as explained to me by the instructor, makes the control surface to big to move via cable alone becuase of the volume of air moving over it. And it is the single largest control surface on the aircraft. The Elevators and Ailerons both have tabs to move via cable.

*Shrug* I don't think its that big a deal, the airplane has a backup system, so its probably not a huge problem, and if you lose HYD1 and HYD2 on takeoff, you probably have bigger problems than rudder control, like imminent contact with the ground, because you've just lost both engines. :panic: But at least you'll have rudder control from HYD3 while you do it. ;)

Commercial AMEL/ASEL/IA, working on my CFI. I did the ATOP class back in May at CAL, and i'm not saying that I know the 737 all that well, I only had a day of ground and some self study on the plane. And its quite possible that the instructor was over-simplifying becuase of the time constraints. But i'm very sure of what I saw as far as the airplanes reaction to the V1 cut, I was sitting in the observers seat in the sim. Even saw the yaw damp indicator swing as the engine died.

I did the ATOP class back in May at CAL, and i'm not saying that I know the 737 all that well, I only had a day of ground and some self study on the plane.

I am curious, what is the ATOP program? Sounds like a good opportunity for someone who is in your stage, whatever it may be.

Even saw the yaw damp indicator swing as the engine died

This is not some rhetorical or rigged question: where is the yaw damp indicator? I have only ridden in the 737 jumpseat once and I honestly did not know there was something that indicates what the YD is doing.

Every Boeing I've flown, (737-200/800, 757, 767) has the YD on as part of the before start CL.

Pretty much one of those "DFW" switches too.

YD was always on on the mad dog as well. Now rudder load limiters, those can be a pain in the rumpus when deferred sometimes.

It is an EXCELLENT opportunity for guys like me. It's called Airline Training Orientation Program, and its bascially a weekend where we get wrung through the same style of training the airline pilots get put through, just not for 4-6 weeks. :D We spent a full day doing a crash course overview on every system in the aircraft and then woke up REALLY early (4AM for me) for our Sim ride. Both days were at the Continental Pilot Training Center at IAH. During the sim ride we each spent half an hours PF and half an hour as PNF, and we hand flew the whole thing, however we did use autothrottles. To cap off the flight we did two ILS's into SFO, one in CAVU the other in whatever conditions we wanted down to Cat 1 mins. I asked him make it hurt ... nothing quite like charging down the ILS in at 160KIAS in hard IMC when the fastest approach you've ever done was 90KIAS. Then we went over to the FTD and performed an emergency descent for our High Altitude endorsement. It was way easier than it sounded because its all flown with the Autopilot.

Aside from being the most fun I've had flying, I learned a TON about airline flying and the coursework that airline pilots go through, and even after going through that I still want to be an airline pilot. I think the course was very useful in a practical sense too. Every time I board a 737 now I make a point to walk up to the flight deck, introduce myself to the flight crew, and take a peek at the overhead panel, just to see if I still know what all the buttons and switches do. We covered literally every switch on the airplane, obivously in an overview fashion only. (If I wanted a better explanation of a system I went and asked my Boeing engineer buddy after the class.) And the best part, the instructor let us keep all the training materials, so i've got Paper Tigers for a 737NG, some systems diagrams and a small systems book now.

If you've ever read AOPA Pilot or Flight Training you've probably read an article by the instructor, Wayne Phillips. He is a great teacher and that is one of the reasons I still remembered where all the switches were and what they did at 5AM the next day. ;) And he was also willing to answer questions and talk flying with us outside of the training environment. He even took us to dinner and breakfast.

I honestly can't say enough about the program, it solidified my drive to be an airline pilot becuase now I know what to expect (training wise, im here to learn about the QOL type issues) and I still want to do it anyways.

The indicator is Captains Side above the Standby Instruments, its small bar the moves kind of like the ball on a turn coordinator and during normal flight doesn't move much. :) On non-NG 737's its dead center above the engine instruments.

http://www.b737.com/

United used to do a program like this.

Actually United hosted this very program until for reasons unexplained they parted ways and Mr. Phillips moved to CAL, but they never "did" it. At no point has an airline run the program, its all private business, we all payed our 500$ to ATOP, not CAL. CAL was just kind enough to let us borrow their sims and class rooms for a little while. And boy did we get some questions from the guys doing their recurrent training there. :D

ATOP

Sounds like a good thing.

I did the systems portion of DC-9 class and observed some lessons and sims at one airline a couple years ago and wow that really showed me how much stuff there is to know. Sounds like you got a lot out of it.

I will look for that indicator next time I am on a 737 jumpseat.

Back