FO Question

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27505

So you set your captain up for a visual backed up by the ILS. You call the GS intercept at 4000ft and watch as he blows through it at ref +45kts. In a respectful fashion, you call high and fast twice on the way down. Now you're in idle descent, everything hanging out, spoilers deployed and Betty bitchin' "pull up" with interstitial yackin' about sink rate. Finally you land half way down the runway.
Thoughts? Advise? Comment?

So you set your captain up for a visual backed up by the ILS. You call the GS intercept at 4000ft and watch as he blows through it at ref +45kts. In a respectful fashion, you call high and fast twice on the way down. Now you're in idle descent, everything hanging out, spoilers deployed and Betty bitchin' "pull up" with interstitial yackin' about sink rate. Finally you land half way down the runway.
What was the response after the callouts?
Non-responsive? Execute go around and assume incapacitation.
What was the response after the "pull up" call?

Do you work for us?

Do you work for us?

Lol. I never felt like things were getting beyond the point of no return, but it was a little, er, different. Good news... Nice long taxi to let the adrenaline drain.

Lol. I never felt like things were getting beyond the point of no return, but it was a little, er, different. Good news... Nice long taxi to let the adrenaline drain.

Depends on how long the runway is. Landing halfway down a 6500 foot runway will get your worried in a hurry. Landing 6000 feet down a 12,000 foot runway just means a long taxi to the gate. Also, it depends on how much of an ass (you can TOTALLY say ass on here!) the guy has been and how badly do you want him to fail.

Then again, I've become somewhat desensitized over the last few months. Or FOQA program is pretty busy here.

Two things:

How much time you and the CA have in the airplane. I feel a lot more comfortable about what will and won't work on the RJ so if they shoot a shoty approach but you know it will work, then whatever you want to do. I will let it play out but never to the point that they make the aircraft unsafe.

Second, does the CA does this every approach or is it like one for the whole trip. If he/she is doing this every leg, then I'm going to have a pow wow with them at the gate and it will be known that their flying is subpar and if they continue this, then I will call a go around 10 out vs letting it go. If he chooses not to comply then we will not be doing another flight together.

Last edited:
At what point on a visual approach does your GOM/CFM require you to be on a stabilized approach? If he wasn't stabilized (or close and correcting) at that point you just flew the aircraft in contrivance of your operating manual. When I first started flying at air carriers (Mesa) it was slightly cool to be nonstandard in your call outs,etc. But now I play a game of trying to fly as close as possible to what the book says, even if it is silly. It makes check rides every 6 months be pretty easy atleast .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lets just say I just had a talk somewhat similar to what Pilotdude was talking about and am not happy with the overall outcome.

Lets just say I just had a talk somewhat similar to what Pilotdude was talking about and am not happy with the overall outcome.
That's always the rub then, isn't it?

STOP talking about how I fly, YO!

I've seen something like that once and I was a little shocked and, but I asked twice "how about you just go around?" CA said "OK, just a little lower" the second time. It got better after he acknowledged it and still had it down at the end of the 3k marker. His head just wasn't in the game at all, and it'll happen to me sometime. I'll admit though, at 6k hours going around seems like choice A. At 15k it'll probably seem like choice B, hopefully my crewmember will give me the subtle hint to go around.

So many things raise red flags.

1) like @cencal83406 said, GA out of 1000', or 500', depending on your company's vmc stable approach policy.
2) typically more than 1000 fpm decent out of 1000' in a jet should result in a go around

3) GPWS alert for pull up should be a go around.

4) Depending on the airplane, and if you have pax - you never know who heard the gpws in back. A guy typed on that plane with an atp writes a letter...

5) if you have ASAP, I hope you filed one

6) I hope I'm not a pax on a flight like that. We all make mistakes, we all recover, but when it's one thing that is never corrected inspite of continually adding corrective measure.... that's bad

Your not happy with the outcome in what way? Were there repercussions for speaking out, or was nothing done about it after your talk?

Just curious as to what you meant.

Your not happy with the outcome in what way? Were there repercussions for speaking out, or was nothing done about it after your talk?

Just curious as to what you meant.
This was a while back, and I was not happy with how the pow-wow went. No re-percussion, but I chose not to work there anymore, not because of that incident though. It was a long list of things.

Back