Flying...without being driven by a paycheck

NewYorkophile

Fly Casual
I was wondering if anyone else on here flies professionally, but doesn't need the paycheck due to their prior financial success.

ie, just wants to fly a larger aircraft, without paying $$$ to do so.

I imagine you could find a much happier lifestyle, even in the lower rungs of freight and 135, if you weren't always chasing the next paycheck.

Well yeah... It'd be nice not having to worry about the next paycheck but think about the consequences that it would have on the pilots who do need the paycheck. The love of flying is one of the reasons we are in this mess today. Unfortunately, someone will always do it for less because they love to fly.

As a pilot, you're a skilled professional and one deserves to be paid as one.

Not a pro pilot, but I always said if I struck it rich I would still like to work part time as an instructor, doing tail dragger stuff.

I couldn't imagine devoting myself to a full time schedule either freight or on demand charter just to fly something larger though. If I really wanted to and had the means, I'd go get myself type rated and then charter my own jet and pay a pilot to fly with me.

Don't know about anyone else, but I would not fly for work at all at this point in my life, unless I needed the money. While I will never regret anything in my aviation career (which is damn long by now lol) and probably would not change much, and would have never wanted to do anything else except fly for a living, you do get to a point where the "work" part of it does start to grind on you. I still very much enjoy most of it, don't get me wrong, but there are those days/weeks that you just begin to wonder. I am hoping to mostly (not completely - depends on what/how I decide to do and I have some other options so I will just play it by ear and decide more when the time comes) retire in a few years.

If I did not to have to "work", I would continue to fly but it would be entirely for fun/pleasure and for charity missions, to attend some air shows, to mentor with the Young Eagles and perhaps give a few lessons here and there to young kids, etc., and not for anything work related. I can't imagine why anyone would want to work if they didn't need the income. But maybe that is because I have worked since I was a teenager pretty much non stop. And also there is the issue in an industry where many pilots are not really compensated fairly and it takes many years now to climb that ladder, well hell....let others who are just starting out or in the middle of their careers work and earn the paycheck that they deserve and need.

I could always find plenty of other things to do besides working, that would be fulfilling and make me happy. Spending more time with family is always a priority and having more time for charity work is also important. And I have my Alaska dream trip/adventure that I am looking forward to when I do mostly retire in a couple of years.

I am looking forward to a time where I can sleep as late as I want, any day that I want and then my biggest decision/responsibility is trying to decide if I want to call up some friends and hit some waves or take the dogs and my wife down to the beach for breakfast.

I'm asking, because I may be in a position where my supplemental income, plus a regular flying job, will be more than enough for a high QOL. The option of making $75-100k while flying each day and being home every night sounds appealing.

I'm asking, because I may be in a position where my supplemental income, plus a regular flying job, will be more than enough for a high QOL. The option of making $75-100k while flying each day and being home every night sounds appealing.

Sure does, let me know when you find that job so I can apply too!

75-100k possible, home every night possible, both together is the holy grail and the exact reason I am not flying for a career.

Sure does, let me know when you find that job so I can apply too!

75-100k possible, home every night possible, both together is the holy grail and the exact reason I am not flying for a career.
75k and home every night is attainable on flying all by itself.

Stock market, work from anywhere ;)

Me and a bunch of my old Herk buddies took a course a while back, and it's going well for nearly everyone. Still want to fly, but not pay the arm-and-a-leg for it.

Nice, I have just enough market knowledge to lose all my money, quickly.

I have a friend who's dad had plenty of money. In his later years he became a pilot for Great Lakes. He already owned a light single but wanted the experience of working at an airline.

I was wondering if anyone else on here flies professionally, but doesn't need the paycheck due to their prior financial success.

ie, just wants to fly a larger aircraft, without paying $$$ to do so.

I imagine you could find a much happier lifestyle, even in the lower rungs of freight and 135, if you weren't always chasing the next paycheck.

It was my case until about a year ago, I really never worried about having a full time flying job, I wanted to do something fun and have a good QOL. I have mostly flown singles VFR in amazing locations, when I started money sucked but I wasn`t working for free either, then I moved into an other job with a much bigger pay check pretty much flying the same plane but working only 3 days a week. During this time I never worried so much about making a living out of flying, I just wanted to have fun but still get the $ for my work. I lived on my savings piled up previously and the fact that all my jobs came with great benefits, I just wanted the best QOL I could possibly afford, I was debt free (still right now) so really why worry too much...but right now I have to fly to survive, well I could have spent my money better but I had a blast and don`t regret it. Now it`s time to figure out a way to make again some money on the side, as my current full time flying will get me nowhere $ speaking.

We had a pilot at Pinnacle who sold some tech company he built for a few million dollars right before the tech bubble burst in 2000. He came to Pinnacle because he always wanted to fly, even though he definitely didn't need the money. He used to have limos pick up the crew on overnights and go out to some pretty fancy places for dinner, all on him, of course. I think he left at some point before I did, but I can't remember for sure.

As for me, I'm doing everything I can to get out of this airline mess, so I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it if they didn't need the money. Spending days at a time away from home, sleeping on hard hotel beds and waking up at 5am, isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be. I'm looking forward to buying an Aztec or something and just flying for fun.

Back