FLYING THE FEATHERED EDGE

A Life Aloft

Terrific film.......really it's a must see. Got the DVD from a friend last week.

A legend of the greatest generation, Robert A. “Bob” Hoover is demonstrably the most beloved figure in aviation today. Considered “The Guru” “An Icon” and “A God” by many of his peers, this humble 92 year old is a graduate of both the Navy and Air Force Test Pilot schools, and has an honorary doctorate from Air University, the intellectual and leadership center of the Air Force. His accomplishments are well known by his colleagues in the military and respected by the society of experimental test pilots, where he has been twice the president.

Bob dreamed of being a fighter pilot but was too tall, with poor eyesight and a bad case of air sickness. With determination and outside the box thinking, this WWII veteran escaped Stalag Luft I by stealing an enemy aircraft and went on to become an accomplished experimental test pilot, participant in breaking the speed of sound and launching the world into the Jet Age.

In his later career as an air show pilot, Hoover performed in front of more people, in more countries, in more different aircraft, than any individual before or since.

In FLYING THE FEATHERED EDGE Bob Hoover tells his own story – and shares, with his trademark charm, the hard earned wisdom of a life spent pushing the edge of the envelope while contributing to aviation’s many developments.

Flying-the-Feathered-Edge-Bob-Hoover-Dir-Kim-Furst.jpg

http://www.thebobhooverproject.com/events/

Last edited:
I once had the honor of being scolded by Mr. Hoover. It was the EAA fly in in Arlington, WA at about 1997. I was a C.A.P. cadet at the time. Out seeing the exhibits a buddy and I wondered into Mr. Hoover's tent where he was signing autographs or something. I picked up model of his P-51 Mustang. "He turned and snapped, you break you buy it! w
Why are you touching my things?" I thought it was for sale I replied. It is, for what I remember 50 dollars or so. I was going to buy it but decided not to and ambled away. My friend after the fact said "You just got yelled at by Bob Hoover!"

To bring this short thread back from the dead.

I just happened to search for it on iTunes and it's available. It looks like they released it some time mid December '15.

Any way, it's just as great as people say. Reminds me of when I was a kid listening to stories of from "the old guys" at the airport. He really seems like a class act, and very humble. Enjoy.

Dang, I've wanted to see this for a while but I'm not installing iTunes on my computer. Unfortunately, It's not availible on any other streaming service at this time. iTunes probably covers 80% of their potential viewers but they will lose some revenue to piracy if they keep it exclusive.

Back