Flair Airlines 737-MAX8 loss of cabin pressure

“On Feb 10th 2023 the Canadian TSB reported that the crew received an EICAS indication concerning the left hand pack announciation about 4 minutes after levelling off at FL370. While working the related checklists, the right hand pack anounciation also activated, shortly afterwards the crew received the cabin altitude warning and horn. The crew donned their oxygen masks, attempted to contact Houston Center for descent clearance but was unable to.”

Now they’re just trolling me. :mad:

Here is the belt and suspenders version of the 737 for all the millennial/genZs who are frightened of the guppy. Look really close, right in the middle…
F4E1F8B4-60A3-4E59-82F1-1E9A5E47B98C.jpeg

I’m just impressed that theirs has a fuel totalizer… unlike certain other cheapskate operators…
Navy supposedly has EICAS light on theirs, along with flight control and brake temperature Synoptics. But no, there is no version of the 737 in commercial service that has a true EICAS.

I’m just impressed that theirs has a fuel totalizer… unlike certain other cheapskate operators…
Navy supposedly has EICAS light on theirs, along with flight control and brake temperature Synoptics. But no, there is no version of the 737 in commercial service that has a true EICAS.
That’s a P-8 above, look really close on the center DU where the start valve and oil pressure lights are.

Belt and suspenders, ECAS and the recall button and overhead lights.

That’s a P-8 above, look really close on the center DU where the start valve and oil pressure lights are.

Belt and suspenders, ECAS and the recall button and overhead lights.

Wonder why they have the stab trim switches cutout?

Wonder why they have the stab trim switches cutout?
I have no clue, aside from the extra Navy stuff it looks pretty standard in there aside from the CAS addition. Now the next question I have is why did they put the CAS in there and then leave the recall system? Is the CAS just a repeater of the warning lights up above? Or is that for all the extra military stuff and the recall system for the standard airplane systems.

I have no clue, aside from the extra Navy stuff it looks pretty standard in there aside from the CAS addition. Now the next question I have is why did they put the CAS in there and then leave the recall system? Is the CAS just a repeater of the warning lights up above? Or is that for all the extra military stuff and the recall system for the standard airplane systems.

My understanding is that it's a CAS-light (like Bud Light... all the flavor, less CAS) basically a repeater of the recall. No single chime/triple chime and lacking the dark cockpit concept. That's all just anecdotal from the mil guys I talk to who have flown it.

Last edited:
"The occurrence aircraft is still in Fort Lauderdale about 44 hours after landing.
Passengers reported the crew announced about 45 minutes after the oxygen masks had come down, they had a pressurization problem. The aircraft diverted to Fort Lauderdale late Tuesday, the passengers were given hotel vouchers and then abandoned there. Passengers were worried to get home even by Thursday, they were told a flight on Thursday would take them to Kitchener,ON (Canada), yet, this flight was cancelled."

Sounds about right. My experience with this airline is that it is absolutely trashy when it comes to taking care of passengers. Probably the worst customer service I have seen in North America.

FMS but no PDC?

We don’t fly from many fields where you could use it......and i doubt we have ACARS capability in general either, though i could be wrong. My guess is there are enduring security issues with unencrypted VHF datalink flight plan info being blasted out there for warplanes. Maybe the heavy guys here can comment, I’d imagine they’d be under similar limitations.

edit: sorry, just realized your comment was in reference to mike’s Jurassic

This is a known issue on the MAX. It’s a back pressure safety thing. Self inflicted. The issue causing the problem with left pack, turning the left pack off, opens isolation valve. That same issue affects the right pack, then that trips off. Now unpressurized.

We were already told a while ago that when working a pack problem on a MAX, before turning the pack off, close the isolation switch. Then do your magic.

This is a known issue on the MAX. It’s a back pressure safety thing. Self inflicted. The issue causing the problem with left pack, turning the left pack off, opens isolation valve. That same issue affects the right pack, then that trips off. Now unpressurized.

We were already told a while ago that when working a pack problem on a MAX, before turning the pack off, close the isolation switch. Then do your magic.

whoa first I’ve heard of it. Good to know though. Does the QRH direct that or is it tribal knowledge?

whoa first I’ve heard of it. Good to know though. Does the QRH direct that or is it tribal knowledge?

First we got a bulletin directing us to act that way (close the isolation valve first, then QRH action). Memo told us the QRHs would be updated.

As far as I know, all the MAX QRHs have been updated by now.

@ZapBrannigan

Last June (2022) at a certain virtual airline (not real of course) ;)

Boeing has received reports from three separate operators who experienced a loss of both engine bleeds in flight on a 737-MAX aircraft.

Investigation into these events determined that the cause was due to the following sequence of events:

• Faulty APU Bleed Air Valve (BAV) Positional Switch signal resulted in loss of the left engine bleed due to Reverse Flow Protection (Left BLEED light and DUAL BLEED light illuminates)

• Carrying out the BLEED QRH by selecting the left Engine BLEED air switch OFF opened the Isolation Valve

• Opening the Isolation Valve resulted in loss of the right engine bleed due to the same Reverse Flow Protection

Boeing has issued a new procedure that closes the Isolation Valve prior to turning off the affected Engine Bleed to prevent a loss of pressurization to the aircraft. A bulletin for the 737MAX QRH has been published on the iPad to incorporate this new procedure. Until the hard copy QRHs on the MAX aircraft are updated, please reference the electronic QRH bulletin for this specific procedure.

Back