FL Weather DOOOOOM!

:yeahthat:
I may be in MO but I love watching an approaching thunderstorm. Nothing better, especially when you know more about that line of weather than the TV weather guy because you just flew through it on the way home.

Missouri, Kansas, eh, same thing. The only thing that matters is which state has better college sports.

Heh heh. Supposedly, that pic is of some intrepid soul slogging it out in a flight express baron.

Well it obviously wasn't me, I don't deviate. ;)

Ah, FLX. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Big check plus to all y'all. Yet another old boring, hoary cliche turns out to have teeth. To wit, "One day you'll look back on all this and wish you could do it again. But not really."

Well it obviously wasn't me, I don't deviate. ;)

Ah, FLX. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Big check plus to all y'all. Yet another old boring, hoary cliche turns out to have teeth. To wit, "One day you'll look back on all this and wish you could do it again. But not really."

Approach - "Turn right heading 080 vectors around weather."
Boris - "Piss off, I've got dog-doo to deliver!"
Approach - "Uhh, roger, resume own navigation, good luck out there. Call the tower when you arrive."
Boris (sounding barely concerned) - "Why?"
Approach - "Uhh, they want your autograph."

You'd be surprised, you are not too terribly far off...

I've been asked if i have kids, I've be told to be careful, glad it's you not me, when asked if anyone has gone through whats up ahead I've been told I'm the only one on the scope. ACK and I had a funny response from MDW - CPS.

Oh well i was young and foolish back then, I'd never fly freight in props again....

Approach - "Turn right heading 080 vectors around weather."
Boris - "Piss off, I've got dog-doo to deliver!"
Approach - "Uhh, roger, resume own navigation, good luck out there. Call the tower when you arrive."
Boris (sounding barely concerned) - "Why?"
Approach - "Uhh, they want your autograph."

Nah. More like:

Boris: I want my mommy
Approach: Say again?
Boris: I said I'm scared and I want my mommy.
Approach: Airnet got in five minutes ago
Boris: Ahem. FLX 714, everything is AOK. Quit yer cryin! Commencing approach!

In retrospect my proudest (?...better adjective) freight-doggin stories all have to do with peer pressure. We are monkies, in the end. ;)

Heh heh. Supposedly, that pic is of some intrepid soul slogging it out in a flight express baron.

FLX103, think I may know the pilot who did that...think he went to AMF in fact.

Missouri, Kansas, eh, same thing. The only thing that matters is which state has better college sports.

Good thing I went to a school that doesn't really have college sports...paid for that too.

Nah. More like:

Boris: I want my mommy
Approach: Say again?
Boris: I said I'm scared and I want my mommy.
Approach: Airnet got in five minutes ago
Boris: Ahem. FLX 714, everything is AOK. Quit yer cryin! Commencing approach!

In retrospect my proudest (?...better adjective) freight-doggin stories all have to do with peer pressure. We are monkies, in the end. ;)

Just reminds me of Jay Rome. Man wouldn't go if he saw yellow on the radar but when you won't punch through a level 6 line he call you a wuss.

Just reminds me of Jay Rome. Man wouldn't go if he saw yellow on the radar but when you won't punch through a level 6 line he call you a wuss.

Well, in his defense, Jay Rome was boring holes in thunderstorms when we were in diapers. That said, yes, I did notice that in his waning years he did much more talkin and much less rockin. He'd probably learned better. ;)

Wow damn, I should have kept up on checking the weather!

It's good that we're getting this rain, due to the draught HCAA is forcing TPA to hold the air conditioning temp at 78 since it's a water based a/c system... Long story short, it's hot as hell inside the entire airport.

picture3f.png

Mac user! Good man! Watch out for flying punji sticks! :)

Those are some great flight aware plots! It is clearing up now, but it was a nice night that's for sure:D

I just did my Instrument Checkride, KSPG->KPIE at noon. It was very bumpy. The pirep from the MD-88 in front of us on the ILS was for LLWS, +/-15, severe turbulance. Severe for an MD88 really kicks your butt in a 172.

Then again, I passed. With no autopilot. With a shearing 55kt headwind on the ILS. Ah, the memories...

I just did my Instrument Checkride, KSPG->KPIE at noon. It was very bumpy. The pirep from the MD-88 in front of us on the ILS was for LLWS, +/-15, severe turbulance. Severe for an MD88 really kicks your butt in a 172.

Then again, I passed. With no autopilot. With a shearing 55kt headwind on the ILS. Ah, the memories...

Congrats on your rating. Just FYI, if you report "severe" turbulence, it means that the plane is momentarily uncontrollable. I don't doubt that it was rough, but either the conditions changed or the 88 crew over-reported. I've reported "severe" turbulence exactly once, and it was while I was trying to find paper towels to soak up the urine (almost, anyway). I've been through at least areas where "severe" turbulence was reported a few minutes prior, and while I got some nasty bumps, the plane was totally controllable. It's important that we all know what words mean.

I think the 88 crew overstated the weather (at least the turbulance part). I know I probably wouldn't have continued the approach after encountering severe turbulence.

Seems to me a lot of pilots tend to not get the severity of turbulence correct.

I've reported severe turbulence twice. Both times were in clear air, was put into an unusual attitude, and my David Clark head clamp was thrown somewhere in the cockpit.

Congrats on your rating. Just FYI, if you report "severe" turbulence, it means that the plane is momentarily uncontrollable. I don't doubt that it was rough, but either the conditions changed or the 88 crew over-reported.

I'll put it this way. Both as PIC and as a passenger, I have spent about 5,000 hours in aircraft. Mostly as a passenger. This was the worst (bump wise) weather I remember flying in.

The airspeed at the final approach fix was between 120-80kts IAS. That is a +/- 20 shear to me. The aircraft was momentarily uncontrollable (it was rolling faster than I could correct for). Not for more than a few seconds, but it was enough that the 88 crew was not happy either. It was also enough that the autopilot didn't work (turned itself off, after rolling 30+ degrees).

I'm sure many of you have been in worse weather on an approach - but for a checkride - it seemed quite a bit for me. We didn't go down to minimums for each one, which was very smart.

I was not expecting to go up today, I was surprised we did. I think there is a reason this thread was called "FL Weather DOOOOM!" It was not good weather for a 172. I was concerned about the low ceilings and viz (1/2 mile). Viz turned out to be fine. An aircraft with heavier wing loading would be a different story.

Funny thing, 10 miles away at KSPG, it was perfectly calm.

Back