FL Weather DOOOOOM!

Yes on both of those accounts. 714 has been using that airplane recently. Funny looking 210 with the radar pod underneath the right wing. You are an old man, but Jay Rome was ancient.

Hey look what I uh "found on the internet".

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

Yes, I'm ready for the glue factory. Did you know Jay Rome has retired to sailing freakin yachts? Now that's the life.

Yeah, it rains lightning over in Tampa Bay during the summer months. I'll be driving over the bridge that crosses the bay with bolts touching down all around me. Scariest stuff I've ever experienced.

Yeah no joke, try working out on the ramp during those summer months and thunderstorms!

Yeah no joke, try working out on the ramp during those summer months and thunderstorms!

Been there, done that. Although if there was lightning within 5 miles of the airport, there wasn't any "working" going on.

FYI, roller coasters get shutdown at that point, too.

Been there, done that. Although if there was lightning within 5 miles of the airport, there wasn't any "working" going on.

FYI, roller coasters get shutdown at that point, too.

That's only if the system works correctly, which 80% of the time it doesn't.

Probably haven't been in FL long. Central FL is like the lightning capital of the world. Wait till the summer hits.....

Nope, I've spent summers in Florida. Nothing compares to thunderstorms like back in Kansas. Sure, you get a ton of lightning, but so do we in Kansas. Difference is it is cloud to ground in Florida, whereas lots of it in Kansas is cloud to cloud. C2C, IMO, is much cooler to look at. Still, the thunderstorms down here ain't got nothing. There is nothing better than middle of a summer night, where you can hear a thunderstorm rolling across the plains, with distant views of lightning.

Nope, I've spent summers in Florida. Nothing compares to thunderstorms like back in Kansas. Sure, you get a ton of lightning, but so do we in Kansas. Difference is it is cloud to ground in Florida, whereas lots of it in Kansas is cloud to cloud. C2C, IMO, is much cooler to look at. Still, the thunderstorms down here ain't got nothing. There is nothing better than middle of a summer night, where you can hear a thunderstorm rolling across the plains, with distant views of lightning.

:yeahthat:
I may be in MO but I love watching an approaching thunderstorm. Nothing better, especially when you know more about that line of weather than the TV weather guy because you just flew through it on the way home.

Oh, no doubt KS takes the cake on t-storms, but I wouldn't discount the FL ones. Nice light shows and all, and they might not carry you off to Oz. They still pack enough of a punch to level houses and trailer parks, though.

I'd agree that Midwestern storms will eat your lunch in a way that FL storms just can't. They can be violent, but generally speaking the worst ones are embedded or isolated. FL doesn't seem to get the monster lines where you either stay on the ground or resolve yourself to strapping down tight enough it hurts and hope for the best. Which is not to say that I haven't been "making deals with God" scared in FL, too, but maybe a little less so. All hail the barren plains...I mean the heartland.

They can be violent, but generally speaking the worst ones are embedded or isolated.

I'm officially a wuss now and won't fly through areas of large cloud cover with t-storm activity without WX radar. I probably dodge a few bullets as a low time pre-commercial pilot in ORL and didn't even know it. It was a "Hey, look I'm getting IMC time!" that quickly turned into a "Wow, it's bumpy and dark all of a sudden."

I'm officially a wuss now and won't fly through areas of large cloud cover with t-storm activity without WX radar. I probably dodge a few bullets as a low time pre-commercial pilot in ORL and didn't even know it. It was a "Hey, look I'm getting IMC time!" that quickly turned into a "Wow, it's bumpy and dark all of a sudden."

You probably have the right attitude. All the smart-/hardasses are down there trying to catch the various loose objects flying through the cabin while you're at FL370 getting more coffee. Here's to high altitude.

Define high altitude :sarcasm:

hah. Well, I can verify that it's above FL250. Just for poops and giggles, I tried to top a relatively tame line last night from MEM-ATL. No go, although I did get a badass tailwind and a chance to wear the ole oxygen mask. ;) At least I didn't have to worry about maneuvering speed, think I was below gear speed up there.

flight_track_map.rvt

Those are some great flight aware plots! It is clearing up now, but it was a nice night that's for sure:D

Hah. Probably. I'll bet it was Tristan. To be fair, the guy may just need a wheelbarrow for his balls. There used to be a guy down in Florida who would fly through anything. He'd just go down to like 3 or 4k, strap in, and plow through it. I used to watch him on flightaware just for kicks, going through level 5s and 6s always in an absolutely straight line. Can't remember his name, met him once at Craig. Crazy, beautiful bastard.

Ha! That's incredible!

Ha! That's incredible!

The weirdest part was he turned out to be this really unassuming, soft-spoken, average-looking dude. Like mid to late 20s, clearly from somewhere where "cruising" is the main pastime, maybe missing a couple of teeth. Super nice guy. Wonder what ever became of him? Wish I could remember his name. One imagines he probably didn't wind up at American.

It's always the quiet ones who turn out to be nuts.

I do (I've become a big wuss in my old age), that guy doesn't. Well, wait 81C had weather radar, but it mostly just painted the ground, IIRC. heh. Plus, I think they keep that plane up north since it has boots.
Wuss,
Real men fly across the Amazon during the rainy season with no weather radar......... :rolleyes:

Back