First Flight...

DC10FlyBy

Well, on my way I got lost due to the new SGF terminal. So I was like 15 minutes late. I also went the wrong way on like 5 roads; it's very poorly thought out. Then my shifter knob broke, so I couldn't get my car out of Drive or into Park or Reverse.

But I finally got there. It was very, VERY lame. Not worth my $75 AT ALL. It was probably the worst first flight I could ever take. He flew through the check list, but did manage to let me steer down the runway using the foot pedal things. =P See, I don't even know what they are called! He didn't explain anything, and when he did, he flew through it. I flew the plane with the 'foot pedal things' and the 'yolk' for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then he took over, and that was it.

It was supposed to be a half an hour, but it ended up being about 20 minutes, and that's stretchin' it!

So yeah, I'm basically blocking this one out of my mind, and going to the downtown Springfield runway and startin all over. Gosh, I'm pissed.

On the bright side, I got some sweet pictures! As well as saw a DC-9 (I believe) fly over us and land.

It was crazy with the wind! I was about to poop my pants when I was dipping and crap. I basically had to turn sideways for the cross wind, or whatever. It was awesome.

But anyways, here's some pics!

020.jpg

025-1.jpg

032.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

036.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg

051.jpg

052.jpg

058.jpg

059.jpg

061.jpg

I have a lot more. If you want them, PM me. :rolleyes:

AWESOME!!!!!! first flights are always fun. when you solo that will be something you will never forget! keep it up.

seems like you were too busy taking pictures of yourself rather than flying the aircraft by yourself!

thats crap! you wont learn unless you fly. even if it is a first lesson or an intro flight let the person yank and bank thats what cessnas are for! i know im going to be tared and feathered for saying that. either way keep it up and enjoy!

It seems strange to me that they'd have you do something like that from the right seat. You'll be learning to fly from the left seat, and they should have you at the controls there with the instruments and everything in front of you as they normally would be. It's good that you're shopping around though; it's important to find not only a good flight school but even more so a good instructor. Don't be afraid to fly with a few until you find one who communicates and explains things well, but at the same time you don't necessarily have to write one off after one negative experience. Flying can sometimes be as frustrating as it is fun, particularly when you're starting out, but as you learn things, build skills, an gain experience, it becomes very rewarding.

Also, the "foot pedal things" are the rudder pedals. They are mechanically linked to the rudder on the vertical stablizer to help you stay coordinated in flight, and are also connected to the nosewheel for turning on the ground (except on airplanes with castering nosewheels). Differential braking is also accomplished by pushing down on the tops of the pedals with your toes.

I just noticed that too that he had you fly from the right seat. That is stupid. Sounds like you went on a scenic flight, not a discovery flight!!

That really sucks you didnt get to fly more on the first flight. On my first flight I sat left seat and he was actually really cool about the whole thing.

He went over everything really slowly eventhough he was right around my age and made me feel completely comfortable. Alot of the stuff he was goin over I already knew and he asked me some basic questions which I answeared.

He asked me if I had ever used flight simulators I said yes since I was about 10. He laughed and let me help him taxi the plane out. He took off but once we did our climbing right turn out of BKL and got to about 3500 ft he said im taking my hands off the controls and the plane is all yours.

BIGGEST RUSH EVERRR!! I probably flew around for 20 mins with just me on the controls, he noted that it was obvious that I have flown for a long time on a simulator cause I was very smoothe through the turns and was able to hold my altitude for the most part during the turns.

Another cool thing about BKL there are always planes flying the ILS or visual for 24R and 24L into KCLE so its always cool to look up and see them flying overhead. And then as we were landing I had one of cool feelings cause there's a highway and a road that run along side the runways at BKL and i'd always watch planes land there when id be driving by and I thought this is so cool being on the other side now lol.

So ya I would say go find another instructor and make the next flight your introductory flight lol. I hope your next one is better!! Cause mine was amazing and I was so sure after that first flight that this was something I want to do the rest of my life.

That really sucks you didnt get to fly more on the first flight. On my first flight I sat left seat and he was actually really cool about the whole thing.

He went over everything really slowly eventhough he was right around my age and made me feel completely comfortable. Alot of the stuff he was goin over I already knew and he asked me some basic questions which I answeared.

He asked me if I had ever used flight simulators I said yes since I was about 10. He laughed and let me help him taxi the plane out. He took off but once we did our climbing right turn out of BKL and got to about 3500 ft he said im taking my hands off the controls and the plane is all yours.

BIGGEST RUSH EVERRR!! I probably flew around for 20 mins with just me on the controls, he noted that it was obvious that I have flown for a long time on a simulator cause I was very smoothe through the turns and was able to hold my altitude for the most part during the turns.

Another cool thing about BKL there are always planes flying the ILS or visual for 24R and 24L into KCLE so its always cool to look up and see them flying overhead. And then as we were landing I had one of cool feelings cause there's a highway and a road that run along side the runways at BKL and i'd always watch planes land there when id be driving by and I thought this is so cool being on the other side now lol.

So ya I would say go find another instructor and make the next flight your introductory flight lol. I hope your next one is better!! Cause mine was amazing and I was so sure after that first flight that this was something I want to do the rest of my life.

BKL FTW!

It seems strange to me that they'd have you do something like that from the right seat. You'll be learning to fly from the left seat, and they should have you at the controls there with the instruments and everything in front of you as they normally would be. It's good that you're shopping around though; it's important to find not only a good flight school but even more so a good instructor. Don't be afraid to fly with a few until you find one who communicates and explains things well, but at the same time you don't necessarily have to write one off after one negative experience. Flying can sometimes be as frustrating as it is fun, particularly when you're starting out, but as you learn things, build skills, an gain experience, it becomes very rewarding.

Also, the "foot pedal things" are the rudder pedals. They are mechanically linked to the rudder on the vertical stablizer to help you stay coordinated in flight, and are also connected to the nosewheel for turning on the ground (except on airplanes with castering nosewheels). Differential braking is also accomplished by pushing down on the tops of the pedals with your toes.
Yeah, I'm not going back to that guy ever again. He speed through everything and was not a single help at all. We don't really get along either, he's too old and cranky. I want someone young and chillll. :crazy:
Thanks for the hint on the rudder pedals. btw. :p
I just noticed that too that he had you fly from the right seat. That is stupid. Sounds like you went on a scenic flight, not a discovery flight!!
Exactly. I actually asked him at the end. "So do I get a discount for going on a scenic tour, and not what I payed for?"

Great post. He told me the same thing. :D
what did you log?

please say they had you log it
Nope, nothing...
Love the glasses:laff:
Thanks! :p I need a new pair though, they're getting too loose.

That's what she said. :rawk:

I agree with the crowd. It looks like they put you on an abbreviated scenic flight instead of a discovery flight. Also, perhaps the MySpace photos gave a hint to the pilot you weren't interested in the flying aspect?

I agree with the crowd. It looks like they put you on an abbreviated scenic flight instead of a discovery flight. Also, perhaps the MySpace photos gave a hint to the pilot you weren't interested in the flying aspect?
:yeahthat:

never understood those

Nah, he suggested me taking some. This is him quoted. "So uh, we're heading back now, you wanna get some uh... um.... pictures? Like, it'd be cool for your email thing...?"

"Facebook.....? Myspace....?"

You don't get it. I flew when we were 2,500' up, and for about 3 minutes. That's it. Then we turned around and he took controls totally....

you sat right seat? I got to sit left seat in my discovery flight
Yeah, same with mine. In fact, I've only sat right seat twice, once in a CAP C206 and in a friend's C340.

My discovery flight I did most of the flying once we were out of the pattern.

Back