Financial Planner

I do, but I didn't want to solely rely on that.

Set your TSP to Roth, 50% C fund, 50% S fund, and go afk 25 years. You'll have somewhere between 1.2 to 1.5 million by then. How do I know? It's what I did (except I didn't have the Roth option for the first 15 years so I have some taxable money in there). Honestly, you shouldn't worry about your retirement. You're working in a level 12 facility from the get go (like me), and between your high 3 pension, the SS supplement, and your TSP you'll have a 6 figure retirement.

IMO, you're missing out on some good opportunities if you don't put some of the TSP money into the I Fund as well. Take a look at the Lifestyle 2050 or the other Lifestyle diversifications as well.

I started in the L2050 but it was dramatically underperforming compared to just the C/S/I funds. I'm in 50% C, 30% S, 20% I right now

Good breakdown, and I've never been a fan of the L funds. Now forget that the TSP exist until you're about 3 years away from retirement.

Depending on his age, possibly a little too much in the C.

My father, who was a VP of the Bank of Boston, and ran their Funds, always gave me the adage of take your age, subtract that number from 110, and that's how much you should have in the C fund. Diversify the remainder between the S, and in later years (as the I Fund became available) the I fund.

I removed my TSP into a Vanguard account, with much much lower fees immediately after I left the FAA. I don't have the luxury of moving in and out of funds as easily as when I was in the TSP, but so far, I am well taken care of.

With that money and some other savings I have a dedicated advisor which charges me a lot lower percentage than the TSP ever did.

Depending on his age, possibly a little too much in the C.

My father, who was a VP of the Bank of Boston, and ran their Funds, always gave me the adage of take your age, subtract that number from 110, and that's how much you should have in the C fund. Diversify the remainder between the S, and in later years (as the I Fund became available) the I fund.

I removed my TSP into a Vanguard account, with much much lower fees immediately after I left the FAA. I don't have the luxury of moving in and out of funds as easily as when I was in the TSP, but so far, I am well taken care of.

With that money and some other savings I have a dedicated advisor which charges me a lot lower percentage than the TSP ever did.

Per your dad I'm 26% short in the C fund

Back