Financial Planner

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
anyone know of a good financial planner to use in the NY/LI area? I am far more clueless about investments/retirement stuff than I should be.

What he said. Check out the bogleheads forum, too.

This stuff is like being in shape....diet and exercise, and most of it is mental.

Vanguard charges something like .3 or .03% of assets under their management.
It's 0.3%. pretty basic stuff though.

I would find a CFP fee only fiduciary in your state. We have one and has worked well for some of our real estate investments.

Vanguard charges something like .3 or .03% of assets under their management.

That might be typical for the fees for an index fund they manage. The advice of telling you what to buy costs more than that. Typical Financial Advisers will charge around 1% of assets under management annually, which is a lot when you think about it.

The red flags to avoid: If they push anything with a sales load or annuities, find someone else. The best advice for most people is to buy a mix of cash, S&P index funds, and index bond funds. It might be worth paying someone a few hundred bucks for an hour or two to get a ballpark idea of what that mix should be. My personal taste is for it to be at least 75% S&P 500 index - the advice pros give my friends my age seems to be closer to 50%.

I would suggest avoiding paying someone on an ongoing basis. From what I have seen, my friends that pay professionals see a lower return than I do, and are invested in substantially the same assets I am.

***Disclaimer. Against the advice of money managers I know and trust, I've been 95% in cash since January. They (correctly) point out that knowing when to sell isn't magic, you still need to know when to start buying again. I'm waiting for the S&P Schiller P/E to go below 23. @ATN_Pilot will probably agree that there is substantial risk that is not priced into the market right now, and that is a somewhat rare occurrence.

Back