Film Research on Military UAV Operators

A few more practical minded questions.

1. What are the typical shifts for UAV operators, working out of West Coast USA and dealing with missions in the Mid East? I imagine they'd be doing lots of all night shifts to be engaging in daytime operations over there.

2. Are UAV pilots and crew allowed to drink alcohol when they are off duty? I mean, could they meet up for a beer at the bar after work, or have a weekend BBQ with alcohol?

3. Can anyone tell me the main jobs and functions of the Pilot, the Sensor Operator, the Intel Coordinator, and the Wing Commander? Who does what here? Who communicates with other bases? Who fires the missiles? Is the Commander in the "cockpit" at all times, or are they usually on their own? Who must they get authorization from in order to make an airstrike?

Thanks again.

UNMANNED

2. Are UAV pilots and crew allowed to drink alcohol when they are off duty? I mean, could they meet up for a beer at the bar after work, or have a weekend BBQ with alcohol?

LOL no....this is so that the rest of us military pilots can steal their wives at the bar, while the UAV guys are at home playing video games and playing coca-cola pong

I keed I keed

So, no response to my question regarding requests for access to real RPA operations via SAF/PA? That is going to be the way for you to actually see and understand what it is they do. If you desire to write a script and create a movie that is anything more than a live action cartoon, that will be your vehicle to making it accurate and relevant. PLEASE, please, please, don't make this an "Iron Eagle" or "Firebirds". Get the AF's assistance...you'll be more than glad that you did.

1. What are the typical shifts for UAV operators, working out of West Coast USA and dealing with missions in the Mid East? I imagine they'd be doing lots of all night shifts to be engaging in daytime operations over there.

Is there a reason why you are saying "West Coast USA"? RPAs are flown from Air Force Bases like Creech AFB, Cannon AFB, and Beale AFB...as well as plenty of other places across the US.

Is there something unique about the west coast that you're going for? Are you intentionally being non-specific here, or do you really just not know who flies what from where? Each base flies a slightly different vehicle and has a slightly different mission for a slightly different customer. Again, in order to have a realistic and accurate script, you are going to have to throw a stake in the ground and say that your main character is flying a specific type of RPA from a specific location.

The answer is, they're flying around the clock. The war goes on 24 hours a day...so do air operations, both manned and unmanned. Crews generally pull 12 hour duty shifts, and it depends as to if all/some/none of that 12 hours is spent in the container operating an RPA.

Yes...they're just like any other AF officer or AF pilot.

3. Can anyone tell me the main jobs and functions of the Pilot, the Sensor Operator, the Intel Coordinator, and the Wing Commander?

One of these things is not like the other....

Who must they get authorization from in order to make an airstrike?

That depends entirely on the OEF Rules of Engagement, which - unfortunately for you - are classified. No hyperbole here...they just are.

It's not a matter of "who they get permission from", but more a matter of "under what circumstances may an airborne asset release a weapon". Sometimes that is due to specific circumstances on the ground, sometimes that is via authorization from someone on the ground, sometimes it's from a command authority located far away. The Rules of Engagement are literally hundreds of pages of lawyer-speak and are impossible to summarize in a single internet forum post, much less a paragraph or sentence.

Hacker15e,

Thanks for the insights. Yes, I have been in touch with SAF/PA in Los Angeles. Because of some recent shutdowns on media visits and due to the fact that I am making a graduate student film, they were not able to get me on to any bases.

In terms of the base location in the story, it will probably something like Creech or possibly March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, as we will be shooting around Los Angeles.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions.

Unmanned

I'm a little confused by the "SAF/PA in Los Angeles" part.

SAF/PA is located in DC at the Pentagon. It means "Secretary of the AF, office of Public Affairs". Their field office in LA is designed to help out Hollyweird with their needs, so you'll still need to go to the Pentagon to make the request.

Either way, you're not going to get the details that you need for your story here. This forum just doesn't have personnel that have the experience you're looking to tap into to write your script.

I used a couple internet search engines, and I didn't see any posts from you on the other numerous military flying forums that are out there and making the same request for information. What's up with that? As a grad student, I'd think your research capabilities would lead you to those places.

So, did this one just die on the vine, or what?

Here's the website:

http://unmannedthemovie.com/

It's got a Facebook page, so it MUST be legit, right?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Unmanned-An-AFI-Thesis-Film/154362581259129

This might even be a cast photo:

(EDIT: Disregard -- this is a photo of the people making the flick)

67720_162909293737791_154362581259129_422180_3919415_n.jpg

Back