Ferry Pilot Jobs

Inverted25

Just curious how you go about finding a ferry pilot jobs. Just looking for something new to build some long cross country time and to supplement my CFI work with.

I would love to do this, anything to get out of the East practice area...
Unfortunately it seems that most guys want airline pilots so they can fly for free.

You may already be as a CFI, but make yourself and your desire to do ferry flights known around the airport.

Unfortunately it seems that most guys want airline pilots so they can fly for free.

Yep, looked into it a while back. I'm no airline pilot so I am drastically out numbered.

Ding, ding, a bell just went off...I can have them pay for my travel expenses and just do it for free!:sarcasm:

Perhaps specialize - like with Taildraggers.

Then call Aviat, Cub Crafters, American Legend, Air Tractor, Thrush, etc and market yourself as the second coming of Jimmy Doolittle and Johnny Livingston all rolled into one.

One thing I would advise against doing is creating a website, offering ferry services or other commercial type things, prior to having the correct certification.

One thing I would advise against doing is creating a website, offering ferry services or other commercial type things, prior to having the correct certification.

Do you really think anyone would be dumb enough to do that??? 1 in a million. But if there really were someone foolish enough to do that, I bet he'd also trash the chief pilots of places he was looking to work on the internet.

PS- How do you put people on ignore?

Well since JHugz likes to stirs the pot and spread false statements I'll clear this up right now. I am a 230 hour instrutment rated private pilot scheduled to take commerical in march and cfi in april(already paid and everything). I also already have a job instructing at skypark starting in may as long as I pass the CFI (I do my training their so owner is excited for me and one other future CFI who JHugz bashed on here to start this summer). JHugz has been banned from airport. The ferry pilot jobs I will be looking to hopefully do will be obviously in summer to supplement CFI job I have already been offered. I appeciate everyones input on here and hope to keep this thread about how to get ferry pilot jobs and not another one of JHugz rants. Thank You.

and cfi in april(already paid and everything). I also already have a job instructing at skypark starting in may as long as I pass the CFI.

Take one step at a time and don't ever count your egg before it hatches. That's my best advice and the hardest thing in this field I have learned.

The thing about egg counting is there should be, whenever possible, more than one egg. Otherwise, the answer will always be the same; ergo, no reason to engage in egg counting. :banghead:

I dont really consider this situation as counting my egg before it hatches because the job is guarteed. As far as there should be more than one egg there is but the other two jobs I dont really care for. I have been offered a job dropping skydivers from a family friend who owns a skydiving school up in michigan but I would only get around 200 hours for the season up there so I'm not really interested in that. The other is a instructor job at ashland but they are very slow even in good times (1 airplane school) which I was offered simply because we keep the cherokee there so the owner knows me. And if worst comes to worse and for whatever reason I dont finsih my CFI i have a full time job that pays well. So my point of this post is to expand my possbilities once i finish my com/cfi in late april. You say I shouldnt be trying to find these jobs before I get my com/cfi but I say now is the perfect time to find the jobs. I make it very clear at what stage i am in my trianing to them and the employers fully understand when I plan to have my comm/cfi and they made the job offers based off this with the understanding that if I dont have them the job offer comes off the table. I think more people should try to do this kind of networking. i dont see the point of waiting till i have the certificates to start looking. I make sure the employers I talk to know what lincese i have now and when i plan to be done wit com/cfi so they aren't being mislead to beleive i alreayd possess them.

Seems like this jhugz guy has stepped on more than a few toes and torched some bridges..... perhaps his avatar is appropriate? :cwm27:

Back on topic - it doesn't hurt to start working on a website and business plan now - obviously you don't want to "deploy" it until you're ready for action, but it may give you a chance to iron anything out by thinking of it several months ahead of time.

Oh and for the airline gurus that might be reading this thread - how does:

<TABLE width=200 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>[SIZE=+2]Gary[/SIZE]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
[SIZE=-1]A 1000 hour pilot with a CFI rating, qualified and with considerable time in single and multi-engine aircraft.

Employed by an airline, with jump seat privileges.
[/SIZE]

do the ferry thing without getting in some very hot water with his "airline"? I know for sure that we are specifically prohibited from any other commercial flying outside of our company....

I can speak from experience when I tell you not to count the job guaranteed until you're sitting in that plane with a student, and even then...

It's awesome that you've networked your way into position for a CFI job. A decent instructing gig is not easy to come by these days, so kudos for that. Just be careful with those "sure things." Things have a funny way of going awry sometimes. The best laid plans of mice and men, and those other cliches.

Don't underestimate the Commercial and CFI either, they're heavy ones. I like the quote from Apollo 13, "There's a list of things that have to happen in order and we are on number 8. You're worrying about number 692." Seriously though, nothing wrong with looking ahead and being excited. Just be careful too.

how does:

do the ferry thing without getting in some very hot water with his "airline"? I know for sure that we are specifically prohibited from any other commercial flying outside of our company....

Most airlines allow some limited outside flying with aproval of the CP.

I dont really consider this situation as counting my egg before it hatches because the job is guarteed.

It is not guaranteed!!!!;) That was my point. Maybe I'm reading your quote wrong?...There are many many things that could happen to any company in short notice of time. 4-5 months is a good while.
As JJ4 says, it's not a bad idea to start talking to people but I would not say that this job or any other is guaranteed and to still be there for you when and if you finish your plans if they even go as you expect them to on your time line. It's kinda like predicting the weather a month in advance. I hope I'm not coming across too harsh to you and I hope things do work out as you plan them.
Think about it. When do you hear the word guaranteed? Who is doing the selling and who is doing the buying? You are trying to sell your service to them 4 to 5 months from now. If your training don't go as you plan then you have to go back and tell them why you don't have it all (comm.and CFI) completed. ;) Good luck in completing your training on time. Don't bust ya balls man :crazy:...piece meals.

How will you get back to your home airport on your ferry flights?

I understand things do happen to companies but there ground school starts next week for which I am helping with and theres close to 70 signed up but I'm guessing maybe 50 total will actually complete it. So I'm feeling pretty confident that they will be around. But I understand what your saying and thats why I'm not giving up my full time job till I'm sitting in the airplane with the students.

I am a 230 hour instrutment rated private pilot scheduled to take commerical in march and cfi in april(already paid and everything).

Why in the world do you already have your check-rides scheduled?

You got so many people to jump on about this because speaking in absolutes in aviation has gotten a lot of people burned.
You have a lot of steps to go, before you get there and while asking for "how to" information is great, actually making contacts and implementing any idea at this stage is ludicrous; hence everybody jumping on.

Good luck with your plan, but be aware that I know guys that went zero to hero at a flight school and when it was all said and done they couldn't get a job there even though they were told they would.
A. There is no need for a new instructor at the time.
B. A fellow customer also became a CFI, and well they just think he will be better than you.
C. They just don't want you.
All of which are out of your hands.
Good luck,

Back