Ferry Pilot Jobs

Why is everybody jumping down this guys throat? It kills me that so many people with so little experience in this field like to talk like a bunch of 30 year experts. "Yep, (insert cliche sayings heard from other people), so I'm going to rain on your parade."
Dude, you've got a plan-check rides scheduled, goals set, good for you. Follow them and they'll happen. Don't sweat the Comm, or CFI checkrides. If you're prepared they're a breeze.

If you're a ferry pilot your travel expenses should be provided by the individual hiring you. Providing your own transportation is a lot like working for free or paying for your job. Its not cool.

Oh and for the airline gurus that might be reading this thread - how does (Gary) do the ferry thing without getting in some very hot water with his "airline"? I know for sure that we are specifically prohibited from any other commercial flying outside of our company....
It says he is employed by an airline, not that he flies for one.

Why in the world do you already have your check-rides scheduled?

Layaway plan? I can see paying now being a motivation thing but the job issue is another story.

Why is everybody jumping down this guys throat? It kills me that so many people with so little experience in this field like to talk like a bunch of 30 year experts.

I hope it don't sound like I'm jumping down his throat.
The problem is that in most cases the experience don't equal the years and effort involved! :banghead: IMO. How do you gain experience? Is it something that we can control or have a say so in? I don't believe so. It's right place at the right time and an offer to you.

in my experience, the only gaurantee is their is NO gaurantee, especially in this day in age of aviation. The industry changes so rapidly and inconsistently its hard to tell who will be in business in the next few months.

While again I do appeciate everyone opinions on this but this isnt ur ordinary flight school. The fact the owner pulled me and the other soon to be CFI into his house the othey night and told us that he already is banking on us getting our CFIs before summer becaus he needs the instructor guartees us jobs. He only hires people who did ALL of their training through his school and we are the only two who are going for commerical or cfi. As far as planning ahead thats what you have to do. Would you prefer me to sit here with my thumb up my well you know? I look at it as I have all my checkrides planned so I know excatly what I have to do up till then and I dont have to worry bout getting to the point i'm ready and not being able to find a Fed who can take me on short notice. Plus planning ahead and setting goals is the only way to know if your moving ahead. Say what you want but I have three job offers (which all three employers know my status in training) and I dont have my comm yet. I would say my plan is working well. Its called networking. You can tell me that I'm going about this the wrong way if you want but I'll have a job come summer.

;) You should ask him to pay for your CFI training if he is doing all the pushing. Now that would make it an original flight school and a guarantee. Hope it works out even better for you.

Yeah, I remember back in early '07 when a school in Ohio was offering to pay for Initial CFI training if you would work for them.
I never thought I would see that.

Well since JHugz likes to stirs the pot and spread false statements I'll clear this up right now. I am a 230 hour instrutment rated private pilot scheduled to take commerical in march and cfi in april(already paid and everything). I also already have a job instructing at skypark starting in may as long as I pass the CFI (I do my training their so owner is excited for me and one other future CFI who JHugz bashed on here to start this summer). JHugz has been banned from airport. The ferry pilot jobs I will be looking to hopefully do will be obviously in summer to supplement CFI job I have already been offered. I appeciate everyones input on here and hope to keep this thread about how to get ferry pilot jobs and not another one of JHugz rants.

I love how two faced people are. You see me in person and then talk to me different on the internet nice. The statement was by no means insulting I was merely stating you should knock out the comm and then the cfi before talking about a job. As for Skypark I call it as I see it. Poor maintenance, unsafe instructors, and lack of overall intelligence is really scary at an airport. You can flight instruct to your heart's desire but stop spreading rumors of me up there. I am not going to graphite anything and stop the prank calls it is really immature.

James for one I dont have your number and I try to stay out of everything that is going on up there involving you. You know whos doing that. I'm out there maybe once a week right now because I live so far away during winter. The only problem I had with you was you saying you wanted to flight instruct there than bashing the place. I was all for you instructing there till you starting bad mouthing everyone who works there. Thats just bad business. You ruined your own chances on that one it had nothing to do with anyone else. So stop laying the blame on other people. You burnt the bridge on your own there.

James for one I dont have your number and I try to stay out of everything that is going on up there involving you. You know whos doing that. I'm out there maybe once a week right now because I live so far away during winter. The only problem I had with you was you saying you wanted to flight instruct there than bashing the place. I was all for you instructing there till you starting bad mouthing everyone who works there. Thats just bad business. You ruined your own chances on that one it had nothing to do with anyone else. So stop laying the blame on other people. You burnt the bridge on your own there.

I am sorry when someone calls you on not being safe they need to go back and consider the source. I really want other parties to go read NTSB's for 15G and see how idiotic that place can be. As for burning bridges to that place...fine I can live with that. I learned my lesson about how certain places need to be dealt with and how they should just not be dealt with in the first place. As for someone else on this post who talked about me burning bridges...they need to just chill with the whole GoJet thing.

James dont take what I say in the wrong way but doesn't the fact that multiple people seem to have a problem with the way you act make you think maybe you should handle things a little differently. I mean I dont disagree with you on alot of stuff but at the same I know that putting it on there in public isn't good either. You are going to come across alot of coworkers that you dont like for one reason or another but what you gotta learn is the proper way to handle them. I understand your opinionated about things and your entitled to that but sometimes you should just keep your opinions to yourself. You will get much farther in this business or any business kissing as than you will confronting everyone even if you are right. Just my two cents.

I'm going to point out a few things to get this thread back on track.

First, just because you have a wet commercial certificate doesn't mean that you are going to be handed the keys to C-172 and be allowed to ferry it. What about insurance? What are their time requirements? Is the owner of the aircraft going to provide it or are you going to provide it?

Secondly, if Gary is using his jumpseat privileges to ferry aircraft he is putting his pilot group in jeopardy. Jumpseating is suppose to be for personal use, NOT for him to be using it to run a business. It is one thing if he uses it to reposition after ferrying a friends airplane, but if he is advertising it to save potential customers money, then he is really opening himself up to a lot of worms. Airlines will revoke a whole groups privileges if it is being misused, even by one person.

Thirdly, like it has been said, don't air your laundry out in public. REALLY bad idea.

One thing I would advise against doing is creating a website, offering ferry services or other commercial type things, prior to having the correct certification.

:laff: Well done, Waco. You're my hero. :yup:

Secondly, if Gary is using his jumpseat privileges to ferry aircraft he is putting his pilot group in jeopardy. Jumpseating is suppose to be for personal use, NOT for him to be using it to run a business. It is one thing if he uses it to reposition after ferrying a friends airplane, but if he is advertising it to save potential customers money, then he is really opening himself up to a lot of worms. Airlines will revoke a whole groups privileges if it is being misused, even by one person.

It's actually a very common practice, and I've never heard of anyone frowning upon it. As long as you aren't using the jumpseat in order to position for your airline's work, then it really isn't jumpseat abuse.

It's actually a very common practice, and I've never heard of anyone frowning upon it. As long as you aren't using the jumpseat in order to position for your airline's work, then it really isn't jumpseat abuse.

It actually is lowering the bar. There are professional ferry pilot out there without jumpseat privileges. Obviously, if you don't have the jumpseat privileges the client must pay for the ticket. If some guy jumpseats out to ferry the airplane, in order for the other ferry pilots to stay competitive, one might need to lower their daily rate which of creates a domino effect.

Think about it this way. I am trying to commute home after a trip. Someone bumps me off the jumpseat but they are going to the city I live in to make a money and ferry out an airplane while if they had a paid ticket I wouldn't be spending the night in the crew room. It would make me livid.

It actually is lowering the bar. There are professional ferry pilot out there without jumpseat privileges. Obviously, if you don't have the jumpseat privileges the client must pay for the ticket. If some guy jumpseats out to ferry the airplane, in order for the other ferry pilots to stay competitive, one might need to lower their daily rate which of creates a domino effect.

Think about it this way. I am trying to commute home after a trip. Someone bumps me off the jumpseat but they are going to the city I live in to make a money and ferry out an airplane while if they had a paid ticket I wouldn't be spending the night in the crew room. It would make me livid.

Plus, even if he is not a pilot for an airline and just using non-rev benefits there is usually a clause in there that they can not be used for the furtherance of ones business. I know CAL and DAL (Comair) were both like that. Either way he could be in a world of hurt if found out.

Good point.

Not to count my eggs before they hatch. Hopefully if all goes as planned I will have my Com/Inst by the end of summer. How hard is it to find a ferry job with a fresh cert and 250-270 Hrs?

Back