FedEx Career

Which is plane is better?

• Total voters

BlakeB777

Hi. I'm Blake and I have one year left of high school. I have a passion for flying, and one day I want to be a pilot. Specifically a FedEx pilot.

How do I go about doing that? What is the best way? Should I go to the Air Force? Should I go flight school and get my licenses now? I plan on going to college. What should I major in?

Thanks!

The Air Force is a great option but highly competitive. If you can afford it take flying lessons at the local airport and get your private pilot license. That's a great way to be sure you really have the passion. If you go to college I'd get a degree is something outside of aviation as a secondary area of interest/income. My dream was to fly for Alaska Air and I ended up a lowly freight dawg. Things most likely won't work out the way you are planning now but that's not really a big deal. Take baby steps up the career ladder and you'll end up in a good place. First thing is you should get a job, start making money, and learn about taking responsibility.

There is great flight school in the area I live in called CTI. They offer various licenses that I can get like
  • Professional Pilot Program
  • FAA Private License
  • FAA Instrument Rating
  • FAA Multi-Engine Rating
  • FAA Commercial ASEL
  • FAA Commercial AMEL
  • FAA Certified Flight Instructor
  • FAA Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument
  • FAA Multi-Engine Instructor
Would it be a good idea to do that whether or not I go to the Air Force?

There is great flight school in the area I live in called CTI. They offer various licenses that I can get like
  • Professional Pilot Program
  • FAA Private License
  • FAA Instrument Rating
  • FAA Multi-Engine Rating
  • FAA Commercial ASEL
  • FAA Commercial AMEL
  • FAA Certified Flight Instructor
  • FAA Certified Flight Instructor - Instrument
  • FAA Multi-Engine Instructor
Would it be a good idea to do that whether or not I go to the Air Force?

Get your private while you're in college and then get hired at a guard/reserve unit. Time it so you go to OTS shortly after graduating. Don't suck, graduate pilot training, go to regional, go to major.

Going to a flight school like CTI is insanely expensive. You'll have big loans to pay off which will force you to get a job rather than going to college. This works for some people but, at the moment, a degree is still an important step to get to the top tier jobs. Some people are happy with middle tier jobs as a career and nothing wrong with that. Also, some people do online degrees in their spare time while working. Anyhow, I'd look for a smaller school to get your PPL. Is there a little local airport around where you could maybe get a job sweeping hangar floors or washing planes? Also, look into joining a local EAA chapter and meet some pilots in your area. If you're in MEM area there are probably lots of Fedex guys involved with the EAA. http://www.182.eaachapter.org The EAA has a young eagles program where you can learn about planes and get an airplane ride. https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation.../eaa-youth-education/eaa-young-eagles-program

Back