FedEx anti-missile system

Were you a rotorcraft guy?

Herks. Our system was a modified Helo system. ALE 39 APR 39 ALQ 157. The J models may run something different now. Ive been out of that game for a while.

ours more often than not, had an F in the center of the scope.

i was used to ALR-46/69, then get transitioned to this crap -39
In country we weren't allowed to depart with the "F." All I know is we got as many alerts in country as we ever did flying around training with it in the states. There we treated them as actuals. Personally I never could confirm any launch was true. When I was on the C-20G, 2006-09 timeframe Gulfstream came up with a system they were trying to sell(or possibly did) to the military. Fully automated. No input needed from the crew, which meant no alerts in the cockpit. IFIRC mostly the system was for at altitude straight and level. We didn't bite. Crews didn't want the airplane doing things it wasn't going to tell us about. But I know they were putting them on some other jets headed to other countries. Egypt being one I know for sure.

We could stick an ALQ-24v25 on any commercial aircraft tomorrow and it would work…

The question is what would justify the need.

You guys gonna make it part of a minimum equipment list? Good luck with that this new problem does to your already complicated system.

We’ve had Omega, Atlas, and Kalitta flying in and out of war zones full of MANPADS of all generations for years. When you understand the absurdly small window of vulnerability and combine that with the actual population of hostile entities that would want to spend such a system on a civilian non combatant aircraft vs the cost and security requirement to maintain such a system is just way outside of a risk reward scenario that makes sense.

You’ve got a higher risk of somebody simply sneaking a bomb onto the plane or lobbing dumb rockets/mortars at the airport with little more than hope they hit something important and not civilian… like they did all the damn time in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We could stick an ALQ-24v25 on any commercial aircraft tomorrow and it would work…

The question is what would justify the need.

You guys gonna make it part of a minimum equipment list? Good luck with that this new problem does to your already complicated system.

We’ve had Omega, Atlas, and Kalitta flying in and out of war zones full of MANPADS of all generations for years. When you understand the absurdly small window of vulnerability and combine that with the actual population of hostile entities that would want to spend such a system on a civilian non combatant aircraft vs the cost and security requirement to maintain such a system is just way outside of a risk reward scenario that makes sense.

You’ve got a higher risk of somebody simply sneaking a bomb onto the plane or lobbing dumb rockets/mortars at the airport with little more than hope they hit something important and not civilian… like they did all the damn time in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Let me top off that beer for you.

The airlines don't really care that much as they probably aren't going to pay for it.

The usual suspects are pushing for DOD funding to equip CRAF aircraft.

Let me top off that beer for you.

The airlines don't really care that much as they probably aren't going to pay for it.

The usual suspects are pushing for DOD funding to equip CRAF aircraft.

Which would be a waste of said funding.

In any war with an opponent serious enough to both have the excess capability to be targeting our support area nodes, and of the scale where we are calling in all the chips and using the CRAF to get our people forward, MANPADS are like the 69th most dangerous problem to face.

Take all that money… dump it into space and cyber. The enemy that fights that war with us will do far more to disrupt our ability to mass forward in that domain. It’s pointless to worry about having MANPADS in the forward area when you can’t even use the phones or email to coordinate the planes in the first place.

Which would be a waste of said funding.

In any war with an opponent serious enough to both have the excess capability to be targeting our support area nodes, and of the scale where we are calling in all the chips and using the CRAF to get our people forward, MANPADS are like the 69th most dangerous problem to face.

Take all that money… dump it into space and cyber. The enemy that fights that war with us will do far more to disrupt our ability to mass forward in that domain. It’s pointless to worry about having MANPADS in the forward area when you can’t even use the phones or email to coordinate the planes in the first place.

Agreed. But what are we going to do with all this excess 70's technology?

I've seen Gulfstreams with "anti-missile/defense" stuff on them. I was always smart enough to not ask any questions or try to take a picture. There are some civilian aircraft flying around not completely naked regarding missiles.

Back