Fatality Accident Near JWN

HuntFlyer

Unsure of type and didn't check Flightaware logs, but 5 fatalities as a result of this accident near I40 and John Tune Airport. First glance looks like a T-tail single engine - Wreckage is so thoroughly crushed its hard to tell. My prayers to the families.

A small plane crashed near I-40 E in Nashville, killing multiple people
ewscripps.brightspotcdn.jpg

Three children, two adults were victims of fatal plane crash in West Nashville, NTSB says​

Three children and two adults were on board the single-engine airplane that crashed along Interstate 40 in West Nashville Monday, federal authorities confirmed in a Tuesday press conference from the crash site.

"They are Canadian citizens," Aaron McCarter, an National Transportation Safety Board aviation accident investigator said. Authorities have still not yet identified the victims, but the plane originated from Canada, where it was registered in July 2023, he said.

The single-engine Piper PA-32RT-300T crashed shortly before 7:45 p.m. Monday near mile marker 202 on Interstate 40 in West Nashville, narrowly missing motorists and a shopping center.

Nashville International Airport spokesperson Stacey Nickens said the plane left Mount Sterling, Kentucky, around 7:19 p.m. and was set to arrive at John C. Tune Airport around 7:43 p.m.

The plane passed over the airport at 2,500 feet, McCarter said Tuesday, and investigators are still working to determine why the plane did not land at that time.

Shortly after, the pilot called out on the radio that the plane had lost power.

"I’m going to be landing. I don’t know where," he said.

The air traffic controller tried to steer the pilot toward a runway at John Tune Airport.

"Yes, I have the runway in sight," the pilot said, before adding, "I’m too far away, I won’t make it."

1709672876021.png

That’s a terrible place and time to have engine issues. Aside from the Cumberland floodplain on the north side of the river in Bell’s Bend and the area right around the airport, it’s really hilly with very, very few adequate places to get down if you lose power.

Back