Family through employee line

ZapBrannigan

If it ain’t a Boeing, I’m not going. No choice.
Flying out of MCO with the family next week. TSA is always nightmarish there. I'll be in uniform headed back to work and they'll be headed home. Do you think it's ok to bring them through the employee lane (not KCM - just the employee lane) with me? Or is that rude and/or taking advantage.

Be honest. I can take it. ;-)

Nope. Nope nope nope. Not okay. And this is from a guy who always takes the regular line when not on duty even when the TSA is having a fit trying to wave me to the employee line. I opt out and make them cradle the grapes every time, too.

If we abuse employee privilege, eventually it'll get letters and emails written and go bye-bye.

Flying out of MCO with the family next week. TSA is always nightmarish there. I'll be in uniform headed back to work and they'll be headed home. Do you think it's ok to bring them through the employee lane (not KCM - just the employee lane) with me? Or is that rude and/or taking advantage.

Be honest. I can take it. ;-)
Leave a half hour earlier and wait in line.

I guess I'm the only jerk that uses it, but i take mine through the employee line at MCO. Never had an issue or been told anything different.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I would say no. The "employee line" is for employees. Not employees and their families. Especially in a city like MCO, where there are tons of kids traveling every day.

One significant other I could see... but adding kids adds to the line length. If I was heading in to work I wouldn't appreciate a family of 5 in the employee line ahead of me, when the line is clearly for employees. (I'm pretty sure the OP doesn't have a family of 5, just making a general comment.) Not to mention all the other non-employee travelers who don't get to use the employee line getting pissy at a family going through the employee line. All it takes is a few people squawking and that privilege may disappear.

This from someone with two kids.

The TSA has TOLD me to take my wife with me through the employee line at some stations. As in, she was with us when we walked up and she went to walk over to another line and they told her to just go through with us.

At others, they tell me she can't come.

Depends on the station.

Ask yourself how you would feel if another employee was taking HIS family through the employee line while you were trying to report for work.

If I'm with one other person I'll do it. I take my girlfriend through there, and I've done the same with my mother. I usually ask if they care, they never do.

Ask yourself how you would feel if another employee was taking HIS family through the employee line while you were trying to report for work.

This. This arrangement is made for employees reporting to work so an already rushed process isn't held up over something routine and largely perfunctory. This is a professional courtesy, not a backdoor compensation for your work.

I see people off duty going through the employee line all the time. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. If I'm 2 minutes later to the gate because of it, what do I care?

This. This arrangement is made for employees reporting to work so an already rushed process isn't held up over something routine and largely perfunctory. This is a professional courtesy, not a backdoor compensation for your work.

I go through employee line off duty all the time. Especially in uniform. I've found that the "hassle" of being a walking airline billboard is less than dealing with TSA BS.

As to how I would feel seeing someone with family in the employee line in front of me? No sweat off my brow - company wants to get the flight out on time they should schedule more time from "show" to "door close". I don't use rest time to ensure an on time departure.

I've been told by both employer and TSA that its is more than okay to take family through employee line as it is also a military line as well. I and other off duty employees usually let those how are going to work cut in front of us. I use the same line as ATN_Pilot. When I was in MCO, I used regular line when traveling off duty, since it is always packed and I know as an employee you need to get through in decent amount of time. Of course there was always the option of swiping your SIDA badge and going in through the bag room and hitching a ride with one of the bag drivers if you were short on time!;) For a while it was hit or miss if they would even have a dedicated employee line in MCO.

I've been told by both employer and TSA that its is more than okay to take family through employee line as it is also a military line as well. I and other off duty employees usually let those how are going to work cut in front of us. I use the same line as ATN_Pilot. When I was in MCO, I used regular line when traveling off duty, since it is always packed and I know as an employee you need to get through in decent amount of time. Of course there was always the option of swiping your SIDA badge and going in through the bag room and hitching a ride with one of the bag drivers if you were short on time!;) For a while it was hit or miss if they would even have a dedicated employee line in MCO.

That is one thing that I would not do.

Back