Family through employee line

As long as George Bush era idiocy reigns supreme at the TSA, I'll do everything I can to get through as quickly as possible. Not a chance in hell I'm waiting in a security line when I don't have to.

In the one post you say you don't care about waiting. Then here you say you won't wait if you don't have to. Which is it?

In the "family line" in CLT today with my family. TSA agent told me that I should take them with me through the employee lane in the future.

Of course there was always the option of swiping your SIDA badge and going in through the bag room and hitching a ride with one of the bag drivers if you were short on time!;)
Careful, when I was working for an airline, people got fired for that. They would randomly look for people who flew out and swiped doors in audits. If you weren't found on the camera to have cleared security before accessing the ramp, and then you boarded a plane, you were fired no questions asked. Its rare, but I'm sure SFO isn't the only airport watching.

Careful, when I was working for an airline, people got fired for that. They would randomly look for people who flew out and swiped doors in audits. If you weren't found on the camera to have cleared security before accessing the ramp, and then you boarded a plane, you were fired no questions asked. Its rare, but I'm sure SFO isn't the only airport watching.
That was only when going to work. Never even dared trying that off duty.

Employee line every time. Never been questioned once, even with the girlfriend, parents, or pass riders with me. "He/she is with me" is all that needs to be said. TSA approved at every airport I've been to, every day of the week, every weather condition, and every hour of the day. One of their policies that doesn't change based on the earth rotating.

Reminds of the time at SNA a group of 10 people went for the employee line and the TSA started freaking out and yelling at em. Then one guys flashed them his employee badge and everyone calmed down...

Here's the deal.

If you bring your spouse through the employee line, make sure they're "Johnny on the Spot" when it comes to screening.

Bin/Shoes/Laptop/BAM, not stand there taking thirty bangles off, bitching about the TSA, "Here honey, hold this, OMG I can't believe I have to (whatever)". If they're not as fast as any other employee, leave earlier. Employee screening lines will go away if it's abused -- ask anyone that lays over in CDG or LAS for that matter.

I don't think children belong in the line for the most part, unless, of course, they're "Johnny on the Spot" which, as darling as your babies are... probably aren't. If they are, good! :)

Major tourist cities, use the regular line unless they're little micro Speedy Gonzales's. If every non-rev took his kids though the employee line, the employee line would rival the regular traveler line. And if I'm just trying to get to work and some employee is trying to drag the entire "Walton Family Goes to Universal Studios", you're doing your fellow employees a grand disservice.

Here's the deal.

If you bring your spouse through the employee line, make sure they're "Johnny on the Spot" when it comes to screening.

Bin/Shoes/Laptop/BAM, not stand there taking thirty bangles off, bitching about the TSA, "Here honey, hold this, OMG I can't believe I have to (whatever)". If they're not as fast as any other employee, leave earlier. Employee screening lines will go away if it's abused -- ask anyone that lays over in CDG or LAS for that matter.

I don't think children belong in the line for the most part, unless, of course, they're "Johnny on the Spot" which, as darling as your babies are... probably aren't. If they are, good! :)

Major tourist cities, use the regular line unless they're little micro Speedy Gonzales's. If every non-rev took his kids though the employee line, the employee line would rival the regular traveler line. And if I'm just trying to get to work and some employee is trying to drag the entire "Walton Family Goes to Universal Studios", you're doing your fellow employees a grand disservice.

Exactly. I don't think a spouse/SO going through with an employee is "bad", just please make sure they can be every bit as expeditious as any other employee. And kids.. no. I'm sorry, especially little kids, don't belong in an employee line. This from someone with two kids. I wouldn't take them through an employee line, even though they do quite well going through security. They're still kids, and need some prompting, and there's two of them, and the whole purpose of an employee line is to get employees through security faster so they can get to work faster. Not so they can get their family of 5 to their non-rev gate faster.

The prevailing attitude here is that it's no big deal if a family member or two goes through. But it is a big deal, because even the savviest traveler makes the line longer, which means it takes longer for employees to get to their jobs. Left unchecked it be long before airline employees realize they have to start getting to the airport earlier in order to be at work on time.

But there's another aspect to this. Living in a civil society means that you conform to the expectations of that society. In this case, society's expectation is that the employee line is for use by employees while on the job, so that their flight can leave on time. When that trust starts getting abused, how long do you think it will be before society realizes there's no point to having the employee line?

But it is a big deal, because even the savviest traveler makes the line longer, which means it takes longer for employees to get to their jobs. Left unchecked it be long before airline employees realize they have to start getting to the airport earlier in order to be at work on time.

Hardly. I show up to the airport on time, and if the security line takes longer than it should, then that's the company's problem, not mine.

In this case, society's expectation is that the employee line is for use by employees while on the job, so that their flight can leave on time.

Actually, based on the responses in this thread, it seems that most people have the expectation that employees will go through with their families. So your expectations are the ones out of whack. Perhaps you should adjust them.

All right then, how long before the TSA decides there's no point in having an employee line.

Frankly, I don't care. I'll still show up at the same time, and if it takes two hours to get through, then I guess the flights are going out two hours late every time. Guess how long it will take for the TSA to change it back?

Since when is the TSA concerned with airline schedules, and do most of the flying public even know an employee line "downstairs", or wherever, even exists?

Back