FAA Hiring Process Revamped

Id rather drag my nutts through a mile of broken glass than go Enroute !

Honestly, I wasn't really that happy when I found out I was going en route but looking back on it, I'm really glad that's where I got sent. The few times I've had to go to the local tower, they've all looked super bored in that cab. Granted, they've been downgraded over the years. From a financial standpoint, going enroute is a no brainer.

Hey everyone;

FAA will open bids for controllers on March 23rd. Approx. 1000 slots for the rest of the year, and around 1300 for next year. Good luck to everyone that applies.

Well it's been a very long 4 months, but our class is finished now and less than half the class passed.

I made it through, on my way to a Level 12 Center...... Hoping the training doesn't kick my butt too hard!

Another bid opens in 2 weeks, I'd be glad to answer any questions about the application/academy process. Good luck to anybody interested!

Well it's been a very long 4 months, but our class is finished now and less than half the class passed.

I made it through, on my way to a Level 12 Center...... Hoping the training doesn't kick my butt too hard!

Another bid opens in 2 weeks, I'd be glad to answer any questions about the application/academy process. Good luck to anybody interested!

Less than half.... But I thought the bq selected all the wunderkinds and was gunna save the faa tons of money! I kid.... On a more serious note if you have any questions about enroute training I'll be happy to share.

Less than half.... But I thought the bq selected all the wunderkinds and was gunna save the faa tons of money! I kid.... On a more serious note if you have any questions about enroute training I'll be happy to share.

Ah, but it's now a validated BQ for the new announcement. They're making great strides!:sarcasm:

Congratulations!

Wooo! #TeamSFO!

Congrats man, I knew you'd kick ass and I hope I can join you. If the non-aviation stuff I'm doing continues the way it's been going, there won't be all that much longer that I'd be willing/able to be fully flexible for an ATC gig. Hoping for the best as even ramp control is fun as hell, pushing tin for a livable wage must be fantastic.

Bid is open for all you interested... This week only.
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/398409000
I'll apply at work tomorrow.

One of my coworkers with a CTI degree said, "Man, I wish I had a pilots licence like you to go with my experience up here. Then I'd get to take the test for sure". If a PPL+real life ATC experience is worth more than a freggin' CTI degree+real life ATC experience, then WTF FAA...

I just told him it doesn't matter, neither one of us will pass the BQ anyway.

I'll apply at work tomorrow.

One of my coworkers with a CTI degree said, "Man, I wish I had a pilots licence like you to go with my experience up here. Then I'd get to take the test for sure". If a PPL+real life ATC experience is worth more than a freggin' CTI degree+real life ATC experience, then WTF FAA...

I just told him it doesn't matter, neither one of us will pass the BQ anyway.

Nothing makes sense in the FAA. We have a CPC-IT who asked what a localizer back course was. I got about 5 seconds into explaining a 30 second cliff notes version before I was getting "thanks NERD" looks from the other CPC's in the room. He'll make a solid controller, but give me a PPL to train from the ground up please. Its when you get someone to train from a hack CTI school who thinks a BE10 is smaller than a BE33 that you favor the kind of person willing to go out and get that PPL. Even if its a fallback. We got two controllers from the same facility on the same day not too many months ago. One was a regional FO who bailed for ATC, got picked up at a VFR tower. The other spent a couple of years checked out at a mid level up down before washing out of a supremely busy tower, and getting assigned to the same VFR tower before both coming here the same day. Regional FO who spent a year at a slow VFR tower is checked out on his first sectors, non pilot former radar controller isn't.

That's just how the FAA rolls.

Agree with @genot; it's nice to have colleagues who have an aviation interest beyond collecting the paycheck. If it's still occasionally their ass in the seat, or at least it was before, they tend to try harder when they're on the controller side.

I can see the argument for the benefits of a PPL but I'm not sold that it is as great of an advantage. Now, I went to a hack CTI school. I'll be the first one to admit it was a complete joke but it did get me the job. If you were to give me a bunch of photos of some GA airplanes, I would probably fail miserably if you told me to identify them. In a center environment, I don't think it would be of any help to me if I could. Granted, I realize in a terminal environment, especially in a tower, you would need to know them.

I can see the argument for the benefits of a PPL but I'm not sold that it is as great of an advantage. Now, I went to a hack CTI school. I'll be the first one to admit it was a complete joke but it did get me the job. If you were to give me a bunch of photos of some GA airplanes, I would probably fail miserably if you told me to identify them. In a center environment, I don't think it would be of any help to me if I could. Granted, I realize in a terminal environment, especially in a tower, you would need to know them.

It does greatly depend on the person. I work with plenty that have no aviation background but actually care to learn because they take pride in being able to provide quality service. On the opposite side you have the one with a ppl that feels he's the guru of all things flying and provide terrible service because "they know better." There is a noticeable difference though to how someone that has been in an uncomfortable situation in a plane will handle a similar situation from the other side. Those that haven't tend to just get annoyed and have a lack of understanding for the guy whose life is potentially on the line.

Back