FAA Hiring Process Revamped

So no chance to put in a request for local? Bummer.

By the way, how does transferring work? Most everyone I talked to at ZOA said it's very understaffed and "easy" to get into once you are able to transfer from within the FAA. However, I was told the other day about a guy who was stuck in the Midwest for 7 years trying to get into the Bay Area before he recently got a transfer to ZOA. Could this be due to short staffing at his own former facility, or is it a complex process?

I understand that if I get a TOL, I'm going wherever I end up. But I would like a realistic chance to have opportunity to transfer to ZOA/NorCal/a Bay Area Tower once eligible without being stuck 4-5 years or more elsewhere.

Remember young one there are many steps to go through........................like getting HIRED, making it through OKC, getting CHECKED OUT at your first facility before you should even worry about TRANSFERRING. its just the luck of the draw you may get ZOA/BAY Area out of the box or it may take years to get there. Last place i wanted was ZAU and guess what the FFA gave me, but i wanted in BAD so i took it and spent 20 years there. Center to Term or vice versa is possible, its just how bad you want it.

The way the FFA hires is just SOOOOOOOOOO stupid back in the day you put in the region you wanted to work in, for Cali you put in for Western Pac and if you wanted ZOA you had a very very very good chance to get it, now you apply for the whole country and its a huge crap shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE
OG

P.S. good luck to yualllll!!

Remember young one there are many steps to go through........................like getting HIRED, making it through OKC, getting CHECKED OUT at your first facility before you should even worry about TRANSFERRING. its just the luck of the draw you may get ZOA/BAY Area out of the box or it may take years to get there. Last place i wanted was ZAU and guess what the FFA gave me, but i wanted in BAD so i took it and spent 20 years there. Center to Term or vice versa is possible, its just how bad you want it.

The way the FFA hires is just SOOOOOOOOOO stupid back in the day you put in the region you wanted to work in, for Cali you put in for Western Pac and if you wanted ZOA you had a very very very good chance to get it, now you apply for the whole country and its a huge crap shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE
OG

P.S. good luck to yualllll!!
Thanks! Trust me, if I was selected, I would only worry about the task at hand. I'm just trying to understand what to expect should I ever make it past OKC to help me decide should I ever pass a BQ. At this point, like you said, it's just a big crap shoot so with each passing year it'll become very unlikely I can swing it. I just hope I have a real shot, but in the meantime I'll be rooting for the rest of you. Especially @Bigey . :)

Thanks! Trust me, if I was selected, I would only worry about the task at hand. I'm just trying to understand what to expect should I ever make it past OKC to help me decide should I ever pass a BQ. At this point, like you said, it's just a big crap shoot so with each passing year it'll become very unlikely I can swing it. I just hope I have a real shot, but in the meantime I'll be rooting for the rest of you. Especially @Bigey . :)

Dont worry its just the FFA mind screw, they are good at that. keeping good thoughts that all you youngster get the same shot us old timers had!!!!!! When you do get hired and through training i dont see a problem with ZOA is seems to be an unpopular facility no one reallys wants. ( which can be a good thing) sort of like ZAU was in the day.

Lol I've been trying to think of what that means but can never come up with it.... And no one ever comes out and says what it means :)

Someone did come out and say what it meant, but that was a long time ago. It's buried deep in the JC archives but it is still there and it is searchable. If you'd prefer to wing it rather than do a search, here's a hint: Try not to think of it as an abbreviation, although it MAY be one in some circumstances. OG worked in Chicago - I worked elsewhere. His use of it and mine might differ (but I don't think it does). It's more of a useful tool... and it's primarily for controllers.

Thanks man! I'm happy to have something besides no, for once. Even if it is short lived! ;)

Good luck to the green checks. Red '!" again here...

We're you originally green, now turned red? Or has it always been red "!" for you?

Back