F-117 "Cloaking Device"

Yeah, in another life, I flew it for 3 years in the 8th Fighter Squadron at HMN until just prior to the type's retirement. Am Bandit 670, as it comes to our assigned Bandit numbers to those who have flown this aircraft.

The 117 was very interesting in that being a so-called black program, that worked both for as well as against the program; in that, it was protected because no one knew it existed. But it wasn't getting operationally used, because no one knew it existed. The raid on Libya in 1986 in response to Gadafi's sponsoring of terrorist attacks in Germany, would've been a perfect raid for the 117 to take part in, a type of deep-strike interdiction that was right up the Nighthawk's alley. F-111s were used and planned for, partly because mission planners didn't know of the existence of the 117 or it's capability at the time, which is part of why it wasn't used. Had they been used, it's quite likely that many air miles could've been cut off the route that the F-111s were forced to take due to the number of countries that didn't authorize overflight. What they didn't know, wouldn't have hurt them. Very possible too that we may not have lost the F-111F and crew to suspected radar guided AAA that happened, due to the stealth capabilities. But alas, we will never know.

The A-7 Corsairs were what the guys were flying when they were at Nellis versus being "uprange" and they actually were doing some real work, in addition to their main task of supporting F-117 flight, currency, and chase operations. The A-7s were later replaced with the T-38, as A-7s began being retired from the ANG (the 4450th being the last active duty A-7 squadron). In fact, I wrote about a high profile accident in Indianapolis, where one of the 4450th's A-7s crashed at the airport in IND, and the program was VERY close to being exposed after this crash:

http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/dead-stick-leads-to-a-dead-end.113095/#post-1560527

F-117 flight operations in the early days were indeed only at night, and only within the confines of the NTTR (Nellis restricted area), namely for secrecy. Later, flights began venturing outside the NTTR at night, under flight plans showing them as an A-7 Corsair. In July 1986, Ross Mulhare was killed in the first operational (not test) accident of the F-117, near Bakersfield, CA. Still a black program, there was high risk of program exposure after this crash too, which was suspected due to spatial disorientation due to the fact that Mulhare had been fatigued from the constant circadian rhythm disruptions of working in the 117 program uprange, was fairly low time in the jet like everyone was (although an experienced and high time F-4/F-15A/F-5E pilot); as well as some negative qualities unique to the jet itself, found to be contributory factors.

The 117 was VERY easy to get spatial-D in, since:

- because the cockpit was so sealed well, there was no "wind rush" or other aural cues of airspeed.......60 knots sounded like 600 knots. This caused a problem when.....

-.......the pilot was flying, as I spent most of my time heads-down in the IRDS display searching for my target and heavily depended on the autopilot to be doing the flying. Visual lookout was kind of a joke, as there wasn't time to and the plane had crappy viz anyway except for out the sides; but then in combat, that didn't matter (though I certainly wasn't maintaining any reasonable see and avoid while VMC in stateside airspace...unsafe in that way, especially when operating outside Class A airspace and any VFR civil plane could be legally tooling around. Very high liability there). The IRDS did have a small mini-HUD like display in the corner of it that showed aircraft attitude only, but we usually decluttered that since there was already a ton of targeting information we needed to be looking at. The jet really did need a WSO onboard.

Later, because of this and a couple more suspected spatial D accidents, all of which were fatal, the F-117 was fitted with what was known as PAARS, or Pilot Activated Automatic Recovery System. When the PAARS button was depressed on the stick, the autopilot and autothrottles engaged (if off), the aircraft recovered itself to the horizon via the closest means available, rolled wings level upright, and established a 5 degree nose-up at 250 knots. Only problem was that in finding the quickest way to the horizon, it didn't know the difference between positive and negative Gs.

Fairly interesting and remarkably in-depth (for 1989 and a civilian newspaper, one year after the F-117 was moved from black to gray):

http://articles.philly.com/1989-06-06/news/26109717_1_small-planes-batlike-pilots

Last edited:
Headed to work.....the night begins

image.jpg

Last edited:
As always, great stuff. I've got a picture somewhere from the early '90s of a NLG and MLG stood upright with a -117 'Demo Team' patch up front at a Bergstom airshow. I'll find/scan it tomorrow.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any cool stories or details about this?

When I was in training for the F-117, one of our civilian instructors....Mr Klaus Klause related a story of how ergonomics slowly but surely came to be for this jet. First night of Desert Storm in '91, he was one of the first wave of F-117s going into Baghdad to hit the command centers located deeper than the radar sites on the border the Army AH-64s had hit at almost the same time. It wasn't really known at that time if stealth technology actually worked, as it had never been tested in real-world combat. The F-117, being slapped together from miscellaneous odds and ends from the A-10 (cockpit), F-15A (gear/components), F-16A (FBW) and F/A-18A (engines), it wasn't very ergonomically friendly in the cockpit in a number of ways. As Klause is getting over Baghdad, the AAA that was filling the air in a general barrage fashion starts immediately shifting in his direction, as if it's tracking him. So he begins to slightly change course (which is not recommended for a number of reasons), and the AAA keeps tracking him, with airbursts going off all around him. Finally he really starts maneuvering (to hell with not recommended), thinking "this stealth crap is bullshat, freaking lowest bidder....", finds his target, drops his bombs and gets the literal hell out of there.

Crossing outbound to friendly territory to the south, he's getting his systems back on-line "Fencing out", and notices that his position (nav) lights are still on and thats how the gunners were seeing him: visually. Back then in the 117, there were 5 different switches controlling 5 different external lighting systems, located in 5 completely separate places in the cockpit. On fence-in, he'd forgotten the position lights switch. A few years later, the USAF installed a single "all external lights- extinguish" switch on the left wall panel for ergonomic sake, aptly named the "Klaus switch".

Beyond badass. One of a handful of pilots who have flown that beast and yet he is repeatedly told by a certain member here in multiple threads (much like that same member treats and speaks to all the other Military pilots on this forum) that he has no idea what he is talking about because he has never flown 121 ops that in reality, most any man off the street can do. There is character and actually being a man of distinction............then there is another person of well, not so much.

Last edited:
Any cool stories or details about this?

The 117 is Approach Category E, as oftentimes the approach speed was in the 180s. Highest I've seen was shooting a circling approach on a TACAN, where the circling speed due to my weight was 212 knots, with a final approach of 190ish. Makes you appreciate that 4.5sm circling radius protected area. But with a permanent 68 degree wing sweep, speeds are going to be high. Also there are no drag devices on the jet: no speed brakes, no flaps, nothing. Just landing gear, and upon touchdown, a drag chute. That made landings (as well as precision formation flight) a finesse item.

The drag chute was required for use, and the jet had a pretty high minimal runway length. No-chute landings were authorized when x-winds were out of limits, but the jet had to be landed and the nose immediately brought down to the runway and braking commenced. Aerodynamic braking was specifically prohibited at any time. On touchdown, the nose comes to the runway and braking with some forward stick pressure is commenced. Since the brakes were not used much on the 117 due to the drag chute being so effective, the brakes would often be smoking following a no-chute landing, as accumulated grease and crap would heat up and burn off. Even though there wasn't truly hot brakes going on.

For takeoff, aborts were almost nothing due again to the drag chute availability and with how quickly it slowed the jet down. If the chute didn't work for some reason, or accidently jettisoned itself upon deployment (which has happen more than a few times), the pilot could drop the tailhook and have the jet engage the runway arresting gear at the midpoints of the runway, or the runway departure end barrier systems, if the a-gear wires get missed.

Back