Extreme large person petition to FAA and airlines

I will say, while this petition is abhorrent to me, I did have a related, very humanity redeeming moment recently.

Commuting home, I got what was literally the last flight i could that night, and what I thought was the last seat onboard. Sure enough, this airline’s computer system wasn't working, so capt couldn't verify my jump-seat authorization (i guess?), so just took a seat in back and crossed my fingers. When the time came, plane got full, and couldn’t sit jump-seat. As the capt came to apologize for kicking me off, a rather large gentlemen (easily 6-7, 300+) overheard him and offered to give up the extra seat, he voluntarily purchased because of his size, if i didn't mind being crowded in the middle. I was shocked he was worried about my comfort…I stood up and hid in the back as soon as sterile dinged just to give him space.

Some people are good it seems
Pay it forward, it's good commuting karma. WTF.

All plus-size passengers should be provided with an extra free seat, or even two or three seats depending on their size, to accommodate their needs and ensure their comfort during the flight.” Among other demands.

Want an extra seat? Buy an extra seat. Why should extra seats be free for you merely because you are extremely large?

From an ARFF perspective, if you’re a very obese person, you’re already at a disadvantage if you can’t self extricate in the event of an aircraft crash or fire, especially if you are too large for the overwing aircraft exits and your options are limited to the main cabin doors, often only at the far front or far aft of the aircraft. If you’re unconscious, chances of us being able to successfully rescue you is extremely lessened; it will be tough enough trying to rescue lighter, non-large people in a confined cabin space and especially one that is on fire, smoke filled, or collapsed/deformed.

Back Off Man!

View: https://youtu.be/PAPKpR7QJbw?t=13

Some people are good it seems

Sure, and plenty of them are fat. The fact that this circumstance (condition, whatever we want to call it) is bad for them and society doesn't make them any less worthy either of appreciation for their good deeds or sympathy for the various kinds of difficulty it no doubt causes them. That guy was a very cool fat guy who committed an act of decency when it wasn't required, or even really indicated, given that he'd paid for the seat. Here's to him. Go forth and do likewise, whatever your girth.

Back