ExpressJet 2Q Loss Widens, Plans Big Capacity Cut

Care to back up your response? Can you tell us why it's not ridiculous that some Continental Express/Connection pilots are undercutting XJT by getting paid less to create more revenue for Continental?

Because sir, youre saying that IBT is to blame for lower wages. I'm not a fan of IBT but what youre suggesting is nonsense.

But the fact of the matter is, we all undercut mainline. XJT, Colgan, Eagle, Piedmont. The sooner we realize that, and the sooner mainline pilots get over their egos, we will all be better off.

It's not Xjt vs. Cjc, its US vs. The industry.

Because sir, youre saying that IBT is to blame for lower wages. I'm not a fan of IBT but what youre suggesting is nonsense.

But the fact of the matter is, we all undercut mainline. XJT, Colgan, Eagle, Piedmont. The sooner we realize that, and the sooner mainline pilots get over their egos, we will all be better off.

It's not Xjt vs. Cjc, its US vs. The industry.

If that lets you sleep at night then that's fine, but it's simply not true.

A Continental captain at 4th year pay is making $139 an hour is responsible for 120 folks in the back. That's $0.86 a seat.

An ExpressJet captain at 4th year pay is making $67 an hour, and is responsible for 50 folks in the back. That's $1.34 a seat.

So if the same linear scale was used to pay Continental pilots, a 4th year 737 captain would be making $160 an hour.

Now Colgan, on the hand, is bringing down the industry with the pay scale. Colgan Q400 captains at 4th year pay are paid $0.78 per seat in the back for being responsible for 74 seats. If you extend that upwards, that 737 driver *should* make...drum roll please; $94 an hour.

Which puts you...below the JetBlue pay scale for an A320!

Good job guys, keep raising the bar! I know this isn't the most accurate way to look at pay scales, but it gives you an idea of where things should sit if you're paying a captain for the number of seats that he/she is hauling. But if airlines used the Colgan scale, and a linear formula based off of it to decide rates for larger aircraft, we'd be flying 737's around for $94 an hour.

If that lets you sleep at night then that's fine, but it's simply not true.

A Continental captain at 4th year pay is making $139 an hour is responsible for 120 folks in the back. That's $0.86 a seat.

An ExpressJet captain at 4th year pay is making $67 an hour, and is responsible for 50 folks in the back. That's $1.34 a seat.

So if the same linear scale was used to pay Continental pilots, a 4th year 737 captain would be making $160 an hour.

Now Colgan, on the hand, is bringing down the industry with the pay scale. Colgan Q400 captains at 4th year pay are paid $0.78 per seat in the back for being responsible for 74 seats. If you extend that upwards, that 737 driver *should* make...drum roll please; $94 an hour.

Which puts you...below the JetBlue pay scale for an A320!

Good job guys, keep raising the bar! I know this isn't the most accurate way to look at pay scales, but it gives you an idea of where things should sit if you're paying a captain for the number of seats that he/she is hauling. But if airlines used the Colgan scale, and a linear formula based off of it to decide rates for larger aircraft, we'd be flying 737's around for $94 an hour.

I accept that argument. And it's fair.

However- don't you believe mainline guys wouldn't fly the ERJ for $67/hour?

Needless to say, the Q rates suck. They are a management forced payrate and we really have no say. The only time we had the chance, people got lazy.

Needless to say, the Q rates suck. They are a management forced payrate and we really have no say. The only time we had the chance, people got lazy.

:yeahthat: Exactly what SmittyB said.

If you think the Q payrate isn't going to be #1 priority once we get a union on property.....well, you must be smokin' crack.

That payrate is atrocious, insulting, disgusting....whatever you want to call it. WE ALL AGREE! However, we had no control over it. Once we do, it WILL be the subject of negotiations!

I know here at AMR APA pilots were going to fly RJ at the same rate Eagle does, but the mainline FA's, A&P's, CSA, and rampers didn't want to work the RJ flights at Eagle rates.

1213214634377fa5.gif

Back