EWR-PHL failures and how safety is the FAA’s number 1 priority

Way way back when in a different life, I use to work on ATC facility equipment (ASR/PAR/WX radar and associated equipment). Sometimes on Nav Aids (Tacan/ILS) Anyway, one year we had so much snow, that it eventurally turned to a sheet of ice do to the constant thawing and refreezing A certain AFB lost all their approach capabilities, ILS, TACAN and PAR where all down. The only way we found out was that about 30 fighters broke out of the clouds headed in towards a mountain vs runway heading. All equipment was up and running yet was totally unuseable because the ice was bouncing the signals in wrong directions. It took over a week before an engineer came out and we started plowing groves in the ice based on the required frequency intervals (harmonics) that were being used Needless to say, a lot of unhappy people.
Oh becasue of the amount of snow, folks were still skiing in late June/early July that next summer

I’m hearing another ground stop for outage

Confirmed. Doing the glitch again. They’re saying it’s a bandwidth spike causing it. Basically what was happening was targets were jumping like it refreshed every 7 seconds or so instead of every 1 second.

Confirmed. Doing the glitch again. They’re saying it’s a bandwidth spike causing it. Basically what was happening was targets were jumping like it refreshed every 7 seconds or so instead of every 1 second.

This the third time this week? Or just third time today? I'm surprised I'm not getting looked at with release remarks "SQUAWK 1200 FREQ CHNG WILL BE APPROVED DURG DCNT"

IMG_5361.jpeg

This the third time this week? Or just third time today? I'm surprised I'm not getting looked at with release remarks "SQUAWK 1200 FREQ CHNG WILL BE APPROVED DURG DCNT"

It did it last week where we lost radar entirely, and then this morning it started glitching and lagging but seemed to have fixed itself after a few minutes, then this afternoon it has started doing it consistently. It’s not actually the radar itself, the old scopes at N90 have not had any issue itself. The problem is in the single line feed to the scopes at PHL. Per sources, they say it’s a bandwidth issue or Telcon loop (whatever that is) causing the issue on our scopes. Basically our scopes are buffering lol.

Friggin jokes on me I guess. I knew yesterday was too smooth. Inbound AC diverted to CLE, we departed 2 hours late then had a 2 hour taxi. Into the next overnight so late the company just pulled us off the trip and is sending us home. So maybe the the jokes on them.

\ Per sources, they say it’s a bandwidth issue or Telcon loop (whatever that is) causing the issue on our scopes. Basically our scopes are buffering lol.

"Telcom Loop" - slightly archaic language referring to the data link between two points. Used to be called a loop because, depending on the type of circuit, there were (usually) 2-4 wires that carried signalling and data and when the circuit was closed you had data traveling the loop. It's similar today but instead of copper it's usually fiber optic.

I don't know how that network is structured or deployed, but I'd bet a crisp $20 that one of the Service Providers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) is pooping the bed somewhere and not delivering the throughput and QoS (quality of service) guaranteed on a contract somewhere. @drunkenbeagle, what say you? SD-WAN not living up to its promise?

I don't know how that network is structured or deployed, but I'd bet a crisp $20 that one of the Service Providers (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) is pooping the bed somewhere and not delivering the throughput and QoS (quality of service) guaranteed on a contract somewhere. @drunkenbeagle, what say you? SD-WAN not living up to its promise?

I don't work with networks, but my guesses are usually a backhoe going through fiber somewhere, or a a bad router advertisement. Because I still don't trust the black magic of BGP. Also, low latency telco circuits are expensive - I wouldn't rule out someone trying to save a few bucks and run the traffic through a VPN...

"Telcom Loop" - slightly archaic language referring to the data link between two points. Used to be called a loop because, depending on the type of circuit, there were (usually) 2-4 wires that carried signalling and data and when the circuit was closed you had data traveling the loop. It's similar today but instead of copper it's usually fiber optic.
I just realized I haven't read 2600 since they dropped from Kindle. I should fix that.

"Greetings from the Central Office," and so on.

I don't work with networks, but my guesses are usually a backhoe going through fiber somewhere, or a a bad router advertisement. Because I still don't trust the black magic of BGP. Also, low latency telco circuits are expensive - I wouldn't rule out someone trying to save a few bucks and run the traffic through a VPN...

Non-IP based leased lines are a rare thing these days. The no-kidding legit copper stuff is premio Delores..

Back