EWR-PHL failures and how safety is the FAA’s number 1 priority

Ok so it wasn't me the other day then.

Getting vectored for 11 (vfr).

"Maintain 2000 fly heading 120 report airfield in sight"

"Airfield in sight"

*static*, no sound, then regular radio resumes*

A minute later, after I've blown through final at 2,000 and 3 miles from the airport I get a word in. "You're supposed to be with tower!" Well, ya, obviously, but I didn't get the switch.

It's a Seneca, so chop-and-drop works good;last long time. No harm no foul.

That's not a good frequency to be having reliability issues.
Every time that’s happened to me I pull up the tower on #2, give them a call and do a little radio ju jitsu in case approach remembers me at the last minute before the tower can let them know about the handoff.

Bookmark this thread for next week when there’s a high profile deal where a Citation didn’t get vectors because ATC radios were intermittent and so they blew across a departure corridor. Maybe there was an RA and Sam Chui spills his Pepsi.

Pretty unrelated, or at least only marginally tangential, but WTF is going on at Seatac? "Network outage" that has been going on since last weekend? Monday, the baggage system was degraded and the arrival/departures screens in the terminal were off. KCM was cancelled too. Today, I figured it was better, I think they brought KCM back online last night. And then I just got an email that the employee lot phones are down. What is happening? Did one of those terminal construction crews take a sawzall to something/somewhere they shouldn't have?
Karl_cuts_phone_cords.PNG

No departure/arrival screens or WiFi today. I’m not sure how it wasn’t melting down. For a city full of tech nerds you’d think they could keep that • working.

Going into EWR OTOH was fine surprisingly

When did you go into EWR? Today was pretty trouble free but it wasn’t busy at all and we were having a cheese steak bracket competition so no one called in sick lol

No departure/arrival screens or WiFi today. I’m not sure how it wasn’t melting down. For a city full of tech nerds you’d think they could keep that • working.

Going into EWR OTOH was fine surprisingly

Yep, same deal Monday morning, to include KCM shutting down for a few days. Real nice program we have going for ourselves.......

I'm not sure that I know what tech nerds actually do every day, but whatever it is, self-induced meltdowns seem to be their schtick

When did you go into EWR? Today was pretty trouble free but it wasn’t busy at all and we were having a cheese steak bracket competition so no one called in sick lol

Landed and departed A-okay Aug 31-Sept 1.

:)

Why do y’all give PENNS at 9,000 when SWEET is the one that says 7,000 but a higher altitude may be assigned between 11pm-7am.

I never get SWEET at 7k for a redeye. Always PENNS at 9k.

Radar started glitching about 20 min ago while I was working departure.
Even if I now get to rely upon WSF and Sound Transit for my commute I’m so glad the only way I’ll be transiting N90 is when I’m on a rotation now.

Sucks. This move is obviously not working out.

Back