Emirates

Based on what I have heard about working in the UAE, the only way I would go here is if I had retired early and was bored/looking for new adventures. It would be excellent experience, but as I mentioned earlier, I have heard that it's very hard to get a US airline to interview you when you're working overseas.
What's the reason for this?

Wrong!!

Best to read IRS publication:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf

Typhoonpilot

Pilots may have looser "residency" requirements since I would imagine any trips you do into the US don't count. However, I trust my old friend's advice on the subject which I will provide a link to here...and as I my interest in working overseas currently stands at zero, I am not going to read the entire publication you just linked to. Potential UAE hires....do your research and talk to other expats who are already working at your potential new company to get the scoop. I make no claims to be an expert on the matter. That being said, here is what my friend had to say on the subject:

http://expatuae.blogspot.com/2011/06/best-laid-plans.html

Pilots may have looser "residency" requirements since I would imagine any trips you do into the US don't count. However, I trust my old friend's advice on the subject which I will provide a link to here...and as I my interest in working overseas currently stands at zero, I am not going to read the entire publication you just linked to. Potential UAE hires....do your research and talk to other expats who are already working at your potential new company to get the scoop. I make no claims to be an expert on the matter. That being said, here is what my friend had to say on the subject:

http://expatuae.blogspot.com/2011/06/best-laid-plans.html

Hate to say it, but your friend clearly had no idea what he was talking about. The short answer is that if one is a "bona fide resident" of a foreign country for one full tax year then they qualify for the income exclusion. In that case there is no written limit on the number of days one may spend in the USA. If one is fortunate enough to have 60 days of vacation, one could spend all 60 in the USA without losing their foreign earned income exclusion. Emirates' actually has Americans that commute back to the USA quite often and spend over 30 days in the USA every year. They still qualify for the exclusion because they are bona fide residents of the UAE.

Typhoonpilot

Hate to say it, but your friend clearly had no idea what he was talking about. The short answer is that if one is a "bona fide resident" of a foreign country for one full tax year then they qualify for the income exclusion. In that case there is no written limit on the number of days one may spend in the USA. If one is fortunate enough to have 60 days of vacation, one could spend all 60 in the USA without losing their foreign earned income exclusion. Emirates' actually has Americans that commute back to the USA quite often and spend over 30 days in the USA every year. They still qualify for the exclusion because they are bona fide residents of the UAE.

As I said, I am no expert - but I doubt he would have made a mistake like this working with as many other expats as he did (including US expats.) However, he did own a house in the US that he was renting out, so he may have been unable to claim the "bona fide resident" status you speak of. His apartment in the UAE was paid for by his employer.

At any rate, it's a non-issue to me, but as I said to all potential new hires - do your research before taking the position. That applies to any potential new job, but especially for ones when you're working in another country.

Typhoonpilot years filed taxes as an expat:

1995 to1998
2003 to 2013

I'm sure your friend knows more about this than me :rolleyes:

Having a rental property in the USA makes no difference to the qualification for foreign earned income exclusion.

At any rate, it's a non-issue to me, but as I said to all potential new hires - do your research before taking the position. That applies to any potential new job, but especially for ones when you're working in another country.

Good advice.

Typhoonpilot

Here is the skinny thus far....

Despite the 8hr time difference, the phone interview was a quick one. I'd say lasted about 10min or so. Asked the standard questions "why emirates?", "what are you currently doing?", "are you studying?", "what systems do you use?", "if selected for another interview, what's the earliest you are available to fly out?"

I shall see in 10 days or less of I get a free DXB trip

Last edited:
Got an email early this morning stating that I have been shortlisted. UAE is picking up the tab for airfare, hotel and visa requirements for the 2 day event.

Awesome! Let us know how the trip was when you get back.

Got an email early this morning stating that I have been shortlisted. UAE is picking up the tab for airfare, hotel and visa requirements for the 2 day event.
Congratz on making it this far, enjoy your trip and keep us posted.

Back