Emirates

Mach82

For those looking to get some international widebody experience....
https://tas-ekgcareers.taleo.net/careersection/careers/jobdetail.ftl

A look into Emirates NOC (~10:00 mark)

Anyone know of any dispatchers that have worked for a foreign carrier?

LICENSED FLIGHT DISPATCHER-140005B6
Job Purpose
To exercise operational control and supervision of flights to fulfill the legal requirements of General Civil Aviation Administration (GCAA) Civil Aviation Advisory Publication (CAAP) 17, Civil Aviation Regulation (CAR). To act as a close link between the aircraft in flight and the ground services and also between aircrew and Emirates and handling agent's ground staff.

Job Outline:

• Analyze and determine routes and flight altitudes for each Emirates flight, based on economical (such as Overflight Permission charges), meteorological, safety and legal requirements of CAR OPS Subpart G and Operations Manual (OM)-A. This includes, analyzing and negotiating 'User Preferred Routes' on a tactical basis with the relevant Air Traffic Control (ATC) organizations. Calculate and manage fuel requirements for each Emirates flight, based on economical, meteorological and safety standards.

• Ensure selection of takeoff- destination- enroute- fuel- and Extended Twin Operations (ETOPS) alternate airports for each Emirates flight as per legal requirements and OM-A. Conduct ETOPS diversion and ETP strategy analysis for each ETOPS flight as per Joint Aviation Administration (JAA) and OM-A.

• Calculate takeoff and landing performance as well as regulated weights for each Emirates flight as per the legal requirements. Quantify effect on commercial payload and liaise with Ops Control, EK Skycargo and load control. This includes the assessment and calculation of performance penalties due to meteorological and technical reasonstTo minimize commercial impact on Emirates flights. Based an all above, to optimize commercial payload capability for each Emirates flight by adapting route, speed and altitude parameters within the legal framework.

• Collate and sign the Flight Release as per the legal requirements and Flight Dispatch Manual (FDM) for each Emirates flight. Prepare and file ATC flight plan for each Emirates flight and ensure that Flight Release, Computer Flight Plan and all briefing documentation is provided to the operating crew in time for briefing at Dubai and all outstations.

• Manage and avoid potential delays by negotiating airport and airway slots with the respective government agencies worldwide.

• Monitor flights until safe touchdown and ensure that these remain inside a safe envelope in regards to weather, technical problems, airport availability, traffic flow and security threats.

• If a flight is in danger of deviating from said safe envelope, to safeguard the operation by developing an alternative plan of action. Communicate and liaise with air traffic control, engineering, station staff and flight crew in order to recover the situation. Support flight crew during decision making or trouble shooting processes.

• Support Dispatch Manager NCC during disruption events.

• Periodically perform quality checks on General Handling Agent (GHA) briefing and dispatch services at outstations as part of Route Familiarization Flights.
Qualifications & Experience
Graduate - Flight Dispatch License according to GCAA or an equivalent recognized by the GCAA . Passed a competency check within last six months

Experience:

5+ Years General airline experience or 2 years as an air traffic controller/technical supervisor of flight operations, air transportation flight operations systems or 1 year experience as a flight dispatch assistant - dispatching air transportation.

• Proficiency in computerised Flight Planning
    • Proficiency in computerised Flight Watch
    • Proficiency in computerised Ops Control
Knowledge and skills:

• Knowledge of the processes and procedures of an airline's flight operations department.
    • Knowledge of the flight dispatch and flight crew briefing processes.
    • Working knowledge of the legal provisions of ICAO Annex 6, ICAO DOC 7196-D3, the GCAA CARS and GCAA CAAP 17.
    • User level Computer literacy: Unix, Linux, MS Office.
Salary and BenefitsTomorrow you could be living in dynamic Dubai and earning a tax-free salary with global benefits. Starting with two aircraft and a handful of enthusiastic people, we have grown at a phenomenal rate. We are now one of the fastest growing airlines in the world, flying to over 125 destinations across 6 continents. We are looking for people to join our global family of over 54,000 people from 160 nationalities across a diverse range of disciplines. If you are a high performer, seeking unparalleled career opportunities, join the Emirates team and help us create the future of travel.We offer an attractive tax-free salary, paid in Dirhams, the local currency of the UAE. The Dirham is linked to the Special Drawing Right of the International Monetary Fund. It has been held constant against the US dollar since the end of 1980 at a mid-rate of approximately US$1= Dh3.66. Besides travel benefits normally associated with an airline, more information on employee benefits is available within the 'Working Here' section of this site. By viewing the 'Dubai Lifestyle' section in the site you can also consider the benefits of Dubai as a location to live and work in.
Job Category
:Flight Operations
Primary Location
:United Arab Emirates-Dubai
Job Posting
:17-Jul-14, 12:54:01 AM
Closing Date (GMT+4)
:07-Aug-14, 3:59:00 PM

Last edited:
Be wary though. Consider the pros/cons because when living in the UAE, you are subject to their laws and while they try to make it ok for expats there still are many cultural boundries

Be wary though. Consider the pros/cons because when living in the UAE, you are subject to their laws and while they try to make it ok for expats there still are many cultural boundries

Excellent advice, 777. For those of you interested that would like to more know about what it's like living in the UAE, here is the blog of a dispatcher, now sadly deceased, who worked in the UAE for Etihad for a few years. He enjoyed it for a while and liked the opportunities for travel, but got burned out on the lifestyle there and returned to the US after about three years - I think a bit sooner than he originally planned. Also, he was unable to find anyone willing to interview him in the US while he was working abroad, even though he had travel benefits - so keep that in mind also, as I imagine most people don't want to live in Dubai permanently.

http://expatuae.blogspot.com

i looked into a UAE job a while back. In the research, I found there are lot's of pros and cons, depending on your life situation (single or married) and what kind of experience you are looking for.

Upsides: Mostly Tax free income (for US citizens. There's a threshold number where you still pay, but I'm not sure the level)
Decent travel benefits on a truly worldwide airline (space A, plus a confirmed ticket "home" once a year)
Lots of off time compared to a US carrier starting out.

Downsides: Dubai is expensive, liek NY/London expensive for some things. Super cheap for others (hit the Souks)
any debt must be settled if/when you decide to move back. Otherwise, never go back to Dubai. They're really serious about that.
Again, if you do decide to return to the US expect a 2 -3 month notice to your employer, no two weeks and done.

That being said, some days I think I would have like to have pursuit the position... If anyone wants more detailed info PM me,

You think DL's psych test is a pain.... try EK's!

Reactions: Kev
any debt must be settled if/when you decide to move back. Otherwise, never go back to Dubai. They're really serious about that.

Can I get clarification on what exactly "debt" entails? I may have an an issue from May last last visit to the Cyclone. I knew my welcome back status was questionable, but this might really complicate things.

Can I get clarification on what exactly "debt" entails? I may have an an issue from May last last visit to the Cyclone. I knew my welcome back status was questionable, but this might really complicate things.

I think only debts to banks, unpaid rent, carload, etc... qualify. Any dirham's owed to the black market retailers, Opiate suppliers, and "personal entertainment consultants" are usually off the books. You should be good.

Excellent advice, 777. For those of you interested that would like to more know about what it's like living in the UAE, here is the blog of a dispatcher, now sadly deceased, who worked in the UAE for Etihad for a few years. He enjoyed it for a while and liked the opportunities for travel, but got burned out on the lifestyle there and returned to the US after about three years - I think a bit sooner than he originally planned. Also, he was unable to find anyone willing to interview him in the US while he was working abroad, even though he had travel benefits - so keep that in mind also, as I imagine most people don't want to live in Dubai permanently.

http://expatuae.blogspot.com

Here is another link that I found off this blog...
http://www.expatarrivals.com/dubai/moving-to-dubai

"Debt" refers to "UAE Debt." Any debt you owe within the UAE must be repaid before you repatriate. The author of the blog I linked to advised keeping any sort of debt that you have (loans, credit card debt, etc.) with a US bank. The UAE banks are VERY willing to give you credit when you move there, and he advises against falling into that trap. Try and get employer provided housing so you don't have to pay back a lease (this is fairly commonly provided by expat employers there, evidently) and lease a car rather than buy one and owe money to a local bank.

This would be a killer job I bet! Its a fast growing company and the people in Dubai know how to make money!

Emirates is not fast growing anymore. They treat dispatchers poorly as compared to U.S. companies. Expect long hard hours and about double to triple the number of flights a U.S. dispatcher would work at any given time.

TP

Emirates is not fast growing anymore. They treat dispatchers poorly as compared to U.S. companies. Expect long hard hours and about double to triple the number of flights a U.S. dispatcher would work at any given time.

TP
I bet they pay better then all US companies. So its all relative. Cant get everything you want.

I bet they pay better then all US companies. So its all relative. Cant get everything you want.

I'm not sure about that. What is the pay for a U.S. major dispatcher? Perhaps if you include the benefits and tax break it might come out slightly ahead at Emirates. Not really my area of expertise, but I seem to remember U.S. major dispatchers made pretty good money.

TP

Based on what I have heard about working in the UAE, the only way I would go here is if I had retired early and was bored/looking for new adventures. It would be excellent experience, but as I mentioned earlier, I have heard that it's very hard to get a US airline to interview you when you're working overseas.

Based on what I have heard about working in the UAE, the only way I would go here is if I had retired early and was bored/looking for new adventures. It would be excellent experience, but as I mentioned earlier, I have heard that it's very hard to get a US airline to interview you when you're working overseas.
Well in my case if I ever decided to work overseas I wouldn't come back to work in the US to work.

Well in my case if I ever decided to work overseas I wouldn't come back to work in the US to work.

That's cool...just remember that if you do work overseas you can only visit the US for 30 days or less per year, otherwise all the income you make is suddenly taxable.

Back