Earhart searches find no obvious signs of her plane

Time to get this thread going again!

(CNN) -- A grainy sonar image taken hundreds of feet below the ocean's surface may help unravel a mystery that has baffled historians for decades.
What happened to aviator Amelia Earhart, and where's her plane?
No one has been able to answer that question since 1937, when Earhart, navigator Fred Noonan and their Lockheed Electra plane disappeared during a doomed attempt at an around-the-world flight.
But information revealed by a team of researchers this week indicates they may have found a new clue.

Story with Video here: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/30/world/earhart-plane-search/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Pretty good WacoFan They had to arrest one of TWA's chief pilots, a FA and a journalist to get them to shut up, as well as push the NTSB to the side lines. If yoo's guys will put a lid on the knee-jerk ridicule, I'll start a thread and we can discuss it. The more info that comes out on TWA 800, the more it looks like a missile. Who's up for a Qutch TWA 800 thread?

I would be interested - I never thought the accidental missile launch theory was that far fetched.

Give me a few minutes to get to the Qutch Vault. I think the TWA 800 file is behind my JFK assassination safe. I'll have to fire up the fork lift to move it.

I immediately thought of Gene Hackman's cage room in Enemy of the State

Ahh crap.

387e003f_HolyNecroPost_759032.jpeg

You can go dig up all the stuff said about TIGHAR and Earhart in the past and simply re-post it in response to this "news".

In fact, this is the circle of events that's been taking place since the late 80s with them.

It will be "news" when they actually produce some sort of substantive proof that can be fully peer-reviewed and stands up to that scrutiny from other historians and archaeologists.

I will again express my dismay that people are searching for Earhart. I'm just not sure why they do - are they thinking that she somehow survived and they will find her, all of 115 years of age having lived the last 75 years on indigenous berry's and seaweed? Are they hoping to find some new and remarkable thing when the NTSB re-assembles what's left of the Lockheed Model 10 - you know, to keep all of the current Electra operators safe? Are they hoping to "heal" or bring "closure" to our 75 year long national nightmare of having a woman miss a tiny island and run out of gas? I just don't see the point with this - I understand going after Spanish Galleons on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico laden with gold - but my best guess is that the Electra wasn't carrying bulk gold on the around the world flight.

I have flown in that area and funny enough there are a ton of expeditions and money put into searching for crashed planes of all sort, we had our aircraft chartered several times to look for Dakotas and other WWII birds whose crew either died in the crash or are not alive anymore.

Some of the people I flew are crazy about history, they show up with all sort of old maps, pictures...they just love this type of adventures.

I actually only flew one guy that was directly linked to one of the crashes, his bomber run out of fuel on its way back from Guadalcanal, weeks before we got called some island natives found the suspected wreckage of the plane on the top of this hill, as the guy was way too old to walk up there himself he wanted to see it from the air, but imagine trying to see something that has been sitting for 70 years under lush rain forest, but he still got a kick out of it.

An other company had his seaplane chartered to fly all over the islands group (about the size of the whole East Caribbean) just to spot locations of former WWII airstrips, in some place there could have been the Kennedy Space Center there during WWII and you wouldn`t be able to tell this days..

My primary interest, at this point, is which of the overly-sensitive types will be the first to post after they find the Electra and Earhart and Noonan. Will Noonan be found clutching a bottle? Was Amelia accidentally shot down by a Navy Missile? Who will be the first JC'er to be able to see through their tears and make a poignant post about "Let's all fly safe" or perhaps "Goodbye fallen sister" or maybe "At least she died doing what she loved" followed by the obligatory High Flight passage? My money's on Boris Badenov

Who ever finds this will be in the history books (and probably their own book they write and sell). It would also put them near the top of the list for underwater explorers. For some people, that's enough.

My primary interest, at this point, is which of the overly-sensitive types will be the first to post after they find the Electra and Earhart and Noonan. Will Noonan be found clutching a bottle? Was Amelia accidentally shot down by a Navy Missile? Who will be the first JC'er to be able to see through their tears and make a poignant post about "Let's all fly safe" or perhaps "Goodbye fallen sister" or maybe "At least she died doing what she loved" followed by the obligatory High Flight passage? My money's on Boris Badenov

I never understood the "at least he/she died doing what they loved". I love flying. But I love not dying a whole hell of a lot more. Just seems weird. Like pullup suffocates due to a morbidly obese woman sitting on his face too long. Yeah he died doing what he loved, but I'm sure he'd have given it up to be around longer.

I never understood the "at least he/she died doing what they loved". I love flying. But I love not dying a whole hell of a lot more. Just seems weird. Like pullup suffocates due to a morbidly obese woman sitting on his face too long. Yeah he died doing what he loved, but I'm sure he'd have given it up to be around longer.

#postoftheday

Do you still laugh when you think of the way David Carradine checked out? Ruined Kung Fu for me.

REPORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derg

Do you still laugh when you think of the way David Carradine checked out? Ruined Kung Fu for me.

Funnier for me because I met him. Long story short, he was sitting across the aisle from me on a DFW-CMH flight. Next night I'm meeting my eventual wife on our first date. There's David Carradine playing piano in the hotel lobby bar. Walk up to him and say "Are you following me?" Was a nice guy. Obviously stoned, but nice. Was there in town for a comic book convention at the hotel.

Look! It's Al Capone's vault! Right here on Howland island. And lookin here........what's this? The.........arc.........of...........the.........cov............coven..............covenant.

Now you have a story. Beats the hell out of a mermaid mockumentary.

Who ever finds this will be in the history books (and probably their own book they write and sell). It would also put them near the top of the list for underwater explorers. For some people, that's enough.

Yes, but unless you are a National Geographic freak you will never hear about him.

If my number's up today then I'd rather it be while flying, which is something I would consider to be worth the risk of death, than taken out by some soccer mom in a Ford Excursion who was late to pilates, eating, texting, and speeding.

Perhaps pullup feels the same way ;)

Back