Drug Mule!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...uggle-jetblue-flight-20131001,0,6615544.story

Feds: Flight attendant smuggled heroin to Orlando
384x480

A JetBlue flight attendant smuggled heroin, shaped to resemble chocolate candy, under her uniform during a trip from Colombia to Orlando, federal agents say.

Customs officers made the discovery Friday afternoon when they began screening passengers and employees exiting a JetBlue flight from Bogota to Orlando International Airport.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Carla Michelle Alvarado told customs officers during a screening that she hid items in a garment under her flight-attendant uniform.
Officers found multiple hard oval pellets that looked like chocolate candy. But they were really about 940 grams — or just over two pounds — of heroin, the criminal complaint said.

Alvarado told agents she was given the drugs in Colombia and was being paid $10,000 to deliver the heroin to Jorge Luis Alomar, an acquaintance in Orlando.

Alvarado, of Kissimmee, agreed to help agents with their investigation and complete the delivery.

Alvarado and Alomar agreed to meet at a restaurant near the airport Saturday morning to hand off the supposed drugs.

When Alomar arrived at the restaurant and accepted what he thought was a bag of heroin, agents arrested him and Alvarado.

Alomar told agents he coordinates heroin shipments from a source in Bogota and said he asked Alvarado for help in moving the drugs, the complaint said.

Alomar said Alvarado transported another package of heroin for him about two weeks ago, and he paid her $10,000 for that supply.

Agents asked Alomar if he had any other drugs, and he said he had more heroin hidden in his Davenport home, the complaint said.

Agents took Alomar to his house, where he moved a dresser, pulled up the carpet and removed a bag containing about 165 grams of heroin. In his bathroom, Alomar removed a ceiling vent cover and pulled out bags containing about 55 grams of heroin.

Alvarado and Alomar were arrested on a charge of conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, and both made their first appearance in Orlando federal court Monday.

Alomar remains jailed in Orange County. Alvarado was granted pretrial release.

apavuk@tribune.com or 407-420-5735

You would think that some of the female smugglers could hide it in parts of their bodies that normally don't get searched. Probably couldn't have it be in chocolate form because it would melt but c'mon, easy to hide and if it's in the right shape its an enjoyable few hours!

If she was in uniform why was she being screened? And what method of screening caught it?

I don't really do anything other than Canada if you wanna call that "international" and all we ever get is the metal detector.

Well, to be fair... what are you going to smuggle from Canada? A beaver?

True. I'm just wondering why a uniformed crew member was subject to pat-down or a body scanner. Wondering if that's a normal thing to countries like Columbia.

You would think that some of the female smugglers could hide it in parts of their bodies that normally don't get searched. Probably couldn't have it be in chocolate form because it would melt but c'mon, easy to hide and if it's in the right shape its an enjoyable few hours!
For $10,000, you'd think they could have done much better than her. There were probably felatio related perks the media didn't uncover.

I'm I the only one that had no idea JetBlue was flying to Bogota?

Yep they fly to all the main cities of Colombia, makes sense, Colombian nationals have the highest numbers among immigrants in the Orlando area. They are in direct competition with Avianca and Aero Republica (COPA in Colombia) on those routes.

Wow, she did a great job covering for the homies when she got caught.

Looks like she's been up a few days straight in the pic, but I'd hit it.

Perhaps she's been watching "Orange is the New Black" on Hulu and misguidedly thought, "Yay! Prison is fun, it's like summer camp and I get to wear makeup!"

Well, to be fair... what are you going to smuggle from Canada? A beaver?

Funny thing is that most of the drugs come into the US via Canada. Canadians pretty much own most of the Caribbean, Canadians airlines have a very strong presence all over South America too.

I was in Niagara couple weeks ago, all the GA flights inbound from Canada were getting targeted by the DEA.

True. I'm just wondering why a uniformed crew member was subject to pat-down or a body scanner. Wondering if that's a normal thing to countries like Columbia.

I think Columbia scans you going into the country as I remember.

First. Drug-sniffing dogs. She wasn't the first person trying to use credentials to smuggle things into a country and won't be the last. Thanks, you ass (Ms. Alvarado), for making it harder on the rest of us who go to work to do a job and not smuggle drugs.

We have flight crew members get busted bringing stuff into the states, into foreign countries, sadly, an application and three to six weeks of training and you can be a crew member with SIDA access, "Known Crew Member" access and travel benefits.

You can get patted down or re-screened at any time at any airport for any reason.

Here's an example, in London, generally we go from the airplane, downstairs to the ramp, to a bus straight to the hotel.

Every once in a while, they'll stop the bus, remove everyone and do a thorough hand search of all of your bags and belongings. Why? Dumb asses smuggle crap and the stories the screeners tell you are book-worthy of what idiots try to get away with, making it a lot harder on those that are honest.

That's how I felt back when I was a ramper and TSA started doing random pat downs ON THE RAMP once you walked thru a secure door on the way to go to work. All because of idiots smuggling drugs and arms.

I notice the article doesn't mention what JetBlue did about it, you don't think she's suspended, do you?:eek2:

Wasn't there some big dust-up a few years ago where an entire MAC crew was caught smuggling some ludicrous amount of X out of Europe? Go big or go home.

Last edited:
Back