Dreams about flying?

wainscottbl

How often do you dream about flying? And what are some dreams?

I do every once in a while but not often because I do not fly anymore. But I remember specifically one I had when I did. It was rather vivid. I was in the plane I trained in and was right over an area I am very familiar with--right near my then house. I am not sure what happened though, so I suppose it was not that vivid, though it could just be it has been a long time. But I dreamed I was crashing, spinning for some reason and it went so far as to when I went into the ground and then I woke up. But the sight of the spinning and going down was vivid. It was this field right here actually

It's strange in that my dreams are usually not detailed like that. But I remember the accurate details. Usually my dreams start in one place and then end up in another. Like I am my current age and am at my childhood home that I have not lived in since I was 12. Or I start there and then end up in my second home which I no longer live in. Or it starts in the first person and ends in the third person. Only sometimes are the dreams vivid, usually before a seizure or some episodes of sleep paralysis. Otherwise my dreams are more boring that I would like. I'd like to learn to dream lucidly.

I dream about flying all the time, and have since I was a wee bairn. Until just a few years ago, in my dreams I was always a dragon, and that led to some odd situations... such as flapping around happily then suddenly worrying that I'd broken a FAR or violated airspace.

Recently, I've had some flying dreams, including one where I was flying along and was forced into IMC... and the last few seconds of the dream were just trees coming out of the grey. :|

-Fox

I dream about flying all the time, and have since I was a wee bairn. Until just a few years ago, in my dreams I was always a dragon, and that led to some odd situations... such as flapping around happily then suddenly worrying that I'd broken a FAR or violated airspace.

Recently, I've had some flying dreams, including one where I was flying along and was forced into IMC... and the last few seconds of the dream were just trees coming out of the grey. :|

-Fox

I used to have this one a lot. If you program yourself some really good routes in the Chelton this one goes away. I don't know if it was just my brain telling me, "to survive flying up north, you NEED to be on a pre-defined route at a pre-defined altitude," or what, but the dreams went away when I quit simply flying off the moving map while running up the canal and instead always flew a flight-planned route.

From when I started in the Navy, I have had "accident dreams" every 6 months or so - running ships aground, crashing aircraft and so on. No particular circumstances leading to them, but they all seem to include me screwing up in some way. I assume it's a psychological reminder of the responsibility.

I've had some scary ones (Vmcing a multi into the ground) and some funny ones (trying to escape a KISS concert in a 172 with about 10 people hanging on the wings). I have no idea why. Interestingly enough, after my engine failure up in the mountains last December I haven't had any aviation dreams...

Not often, but I had one the other night while racked out in the bunk on a deadhead. I don't really remember what it entailed, but I recall waking up thinking the airplane was going down. Not too fun. Shook it off, went back to sleep.

I have really, really odd dreams on airplanes. :)

Anyone else have "wire" dreams? For whatever reason I don't have many dreams about flying, but the few I've had involved flying near or towards wires, and was obviously a little scary.

I've had that dream, and I don't even fly. I'm taking off and trying to top an obstruction (usually power lines, sometimes trees) off the departure end of the runway.

Also used to have a recurring dream while in training at El Paso ATCT in which I'm climbing the stairs to the cab and there are steps missing, requiring me to make some pretty dangerous leaps to get upstairs.

I do every once in a while but not often because I do not fly anymore. But I remember specifically one I had when I did. It was rather vivid. I was in the plane I trained in and was right over an area I am very familiar with--right near my then house. I am not sure what happened though, so I suppose it was not that vivid, though it could just be it has been a long time. But I dreamed I was crashing, spinning for some reason and it went so far as to when I went into the ground and then I woke up. But the sight of the spinning and going down was vivid. It was this field right here actually

It's strange in that my dreams are usually not detailed like that. But I remember the accurate details. Usually my dreams start in one place and then end up in another. Like I am my current age and am at my childhood home that I have not lived in since I was 12. Or I start there and then end up in my second home which I no longer live in. Or it starts in the first person and ends in the third person. Only sometimes are the dreams vivid, usually before a seizure or some episodes of sleep paralysis. Otherwise my dreams are more boring that I would like. I'd like to learn to dream lucidly.
My main dream that I have is that I land in crazy places that I do not have a clearance for... back when I was instructing in Tulsa, I flew over downtown a lot. I would have dreams that I would land in downtown, and as soon as my wheels hit the ground I would realize that I forgot to get my landing clearance.

Trying to take off with wires overhead.....

Where's Freud when we need him?

Jung's better. I have not read Freud so I am not going to say it is as simple as he said it's all some unconscious desire to have sex with your mother. I don't think most people have read Freud though I suppose there has to be some truth in that. But Jung seems a lot better on the dream matter to me from what I have read about Freud. I have read Jung. So where's Jung when you need him? I had a hot flight instructor once. Maybe my lusts for her were really my desires to have sex with my mom. :eek:

Anyone else have "wire" dreams? For whatever reason I don't have many dreams about flying, but the few I've had involved flying near or towards wires, and was obviously a little scary.

Yup. Mine is that I'm rolling down the runway and have to rotate at just the right place in order to avoid wires that are stretched across the top of the runway at irregular intervals.

Although I occasionally dream about flying in my sleep, most of my dreams about flying are daydreams. I daydream about flying every day, probably more than most men daydream about sex. I'm probably clinically obsessed with it, and have been for the last 42 years or so.
I draw and paint pictures of aircraft, read books about aircraft and flying, watch movies and TV shows with aircraft in them, look at images online of aircraft for hours at a time, look at barnstormers, trade-a-plane and other websites for hours, look up whenever I hear one, and drive past airports and stop for a "visit" whenever possible.
I've been driving and daydreaming about airplanes so deeply before that I forgot I was in a car, not an airplane.
I would love to fly for a living, but from all the horror stories I read here, literally every time I log in, about barely being able to survive on pilot pay, I don't think it would be fair to my wife and kids to be so selfish. So, until I'm in a place where I can afford to be broke all the time, I guess I'll just keep dreaming.

Although I occasionally dream about flying in my sleep, most of my dreams about flying are daydreams. I daydream about flying every day, probably more than most men daydream about sex. I'm probably clinically obsessed with it, and have been for the last 42 years or so.
I draw and paint pictures of aircraft, read books about aircraft and flying, watch movies and TV shows with aircraft in them, look at images online of aircraft for hours at a time, look at barnstormers, trade-a-plane and other websites for hours, look up whenever I hear one, and drive past airports and stop for a "visit" whenever possible.
I've been driving and daydreaming about airplanes so deeply before that I forgot I was in a car, not an airplane.
I would love to fly for a living, but from all the horror stories I read here, literally every time I log in, about barely being able to survive on pilot pay, I don't think it would be fair to my wife and kids to be so selfish. So, until I'm in a place where I can afford to be broke all the time, I guess I'll just keep dreaming.
?

Back