Down to the Wire: Embry Riddle vs K-State

EASuperhornet

Hello all, t'is I =)
I haven't been on the forums for bout a month, why? that does not matter, what matters is that I am here now lol! ok... im going to calm down... i have so much in my mind that i just want to blurt out at once, but i know the only way that i'm going to properly get this across is if i express it naturally.

So here's the break down. As many of you may now by now, Aviation is my passion, and I'd like to pursue my dream and turn it into a reality.

I have been researching 100's upon 100's of universities and institutions that offer both an Associates and Bachelor of Science degree programs in Aviation,Aerodynamics, Aeronautics, Avionics, etc...

And it has come down to the wire for me... I'm currently located in Forsyth Missouri, originally from Montreal Canada, for those of y'all who don't already know. The closest institution to me is Spartan college, and I have eliminated that from my equation due to the fact that I have received not so raving reviews of the college. Secondly its too pricey for what you get out of it education wise.

Second on the list was Tulsa tech, which is btw an institution that I would have followed through with if I was just going to settle with an Associates.
But now that I'd like to pursue a B.S. I have K-State's AVMBS(Aviation Maintenance Bachelor's of Science) at the Salina campus in my crosshairs.

I found out that I would have to live in Kansas for 1-year in order to receive in-state tuition, and for those of you who are in the same financial slump as I, know very well what they are getting themselves into when even with the transcripts from our previous college eliminating the elective courses, we/I still have to pay a whopping $70,000 +

So this brings me to my conclusion that I would defn like to go to K-State, I get a positive feeling from the university even thought I haven't visited the campus yet, but when I do, I'm almost certain my opinions will not alter.
Another plus to K-state is that the school has a rowing team. 2-years of Competitive rowing at my previous college in canada, left me with a good taste in my mouth, and I'd like some more...and what better place to go that has both my program and sport...

Just recently I came across another institution "Embry-Riddle," which has campuses world wide, and one really close by to me..in "little rock" Arkansas and it's stationed on a military base. Did I ever mention that I absolutely love military aviation!! Which this brings a little conflict into my original equation, that this new school is much closer to home, I'm not to sure on the prices of tuition and on campus costs, I was wondering if any of you have any information of embry riddle, anything at all, I'd like to discuss that very much. about the school, it's reputation, the success of alumni, and where they are now. the differences in the B.S. degrees in Aviation at the school, and where they will get me in terms of salary and companies I'd work at. I'd prefer to work on military aircraft like my buddy mike. Mike landed a job with McDonnell Douglas back in the early 80's working on the Hornets, hence my alias "EASuperhornet," So landing a job like this myself and with a Bachelor's of Science degree is a plus. Education is really important to me, I never want to stop!! =P lol!

ok guys, i think i'll leave my thread as is, and see where this goes.

Sincerely,

Tony

Are you looking solely for physical location schools? Not to add more to your mixing bowl, but I know of a few colleges that have their aviation degrees internet based. UVU is one. I know that USU had one or was going to do one, but then changed. Not sure on USU's story. There are others as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Are you looking solely for physical location schools? Not to add more to your mixing bowl, but I know of a few colleges that have their aviation degrees internet based. UVU is one. I know that USU had one or was going to do one, but then changed. Not sure on USU's story. There are others as well. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'm looking solely into universities that are physically on the map, but are close in proximity with the state of Missouri, where I am located now.
It be even better if the university/state had a treaty with Missouri that allowed neighboring states to get the same in-state tuition/costs.

Are you familiar with Embry R in little Rock AR?

Although I have heard of online schooling, but I'm more old school.

I looked into Embry several years ago for my husband but it was the online - Embry Riddle worldwide (online). There wasn't a campus close by. In the end, my husband opted for Utah Valley University (UVU) because it has the worldwide campus that you do all flight training at a local FBO and the classes are online. The campus is only a 30 minute drive from our house, but driving there for classes all the time would be a pain. With the worldwide campus, he has one professor this semester that actually lives in Seattle. His classes consist of people from all across the nation and canada. As long as you are dedicated to school, the online campuses are a great way to save the gas money!

As for physical campuses, I don't know much about them. Have you checked on the one on base? Did you verify that the campus was open to non-military personel?

I think from what you have said that you might be happier with K-state and being able to be on a rowing team again as well as go into aviation. The best advice I have is to go and meet with people. Get referrence from the aviation department. Many universities will arrange for you to talk with and meet current and graduated students. As well as instructors.

Just like if you were to go to the local FBO and meet with instructors and find out who would best suit you, you should be able to find out about the different instructors, meet some and find out if the schools instructors and you would get along. There is nothing worse than being stuck in a small plane with someone you absolutely can't stand...and being stuck with them for 30+ hours! Well I guess it would be worse if you couldn't stand them and they had really bad BO...

Now see, you say people don't make elaborate fun of us on JC, but this post proves you wrong, I hope.

OP: Don't let anyone hold you back. There is manlove to be found the world over, but you're only a Professional if you're a Riddle Eagle. There are those who wish they were good enough, and there are those who went to Riddle. Ariline hiring boards know the difference. If you go to Riddle, you have the Right Stuff. If you don't, you'll always be an also-ran, angry about how Riddle Eagles own the marketplace. Be a Winner. Go to Riddle.

You want to know how I chose my graduate program? It was down to Iowa vs. Ohio State, and I was torn - couldn't make a decision. So I put NCAA Football into my playstation and had the computer play itself - Iowa vs. Ohio State. OSU won on a late field goal, and that's where I ended up.

True story - although I might have been leaning more towards OSU that day.

I thought this thread was going to be about Embry-Riddle beating K-State in some athletic event. Then I remembered it was football season and Riddle doesn't have a team.

Second on the list was Tulsa tech, which is btw an institution that I would have followed through with if I was just going to settle with an Associates.
But now that I'd like to pursue a B.S. I have K-State's AVMBS(Aviation Maintenance Bachelor's of Science) at the Salina campus in my crosshairs.

I found out that I would have to live in Kansas for 1-year in order to receive in-state tuition, and for those of you who are in the same financial slump as I, know very well what they are getting themselves into when even with the transcripts from our previous college eliminating the elective courses, we/I still have to pay a whopping $70,000 +

So this brings me to my conclusion that I would defn like to go to K-State, I get a positive feeling from the university even thought I haven't visited the campus yet, but when I do, I'm almost certain my opinions will not alter.
Another plus to K-state is that the school has a rowing team. 2-years of Competitive rowing at my previous college in canada, left me with a good taste in my mouth, and I'd like some more...and what better place to go that has both my program and sport...

Hey SH. I can't really help you with the decision of K-state vs. Riddle (Well, maybe a little. I visited there when I was looking at schools, it was a good school. Not great, but good. I was looking at the flight side of stuff though.). Buuuuttt, I did do some stuff with the rowing team there back in the day. Maybe you've found one in Salina, but as far as I know, the K-State crew only rows in Manhattan. I could be wrong though. If you want, I could possibly get you in contact with a friend of mine who's a coxswain on the women's 8. But again, that's in Manhattan, so you'd have to make the hour drive there to go to practice.

Just recently I came across another institution "Embry-Riddle," which has campuses world wide, and one really close by to me..in "little rock" Arkansas and it's stationed on a military base. ... I'd prefer to work on military aircraft like my buddy mike.
I know very little about ERAU, but I don't think that location offers a maintenance degree/A&P certification.

Your chances of getting laid at KSU are probably higher than at ERU. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but it's an important consideration for some. I was bummed about not getting into the Air Force Academy until about 4-weeks into my freshman year at Texas Tech.

Your chances of getting laid at KSU are probably higher than at ERU. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but it's an important consideration for some. I was bummed about not getting into the Air Force Academy until about 4-weeks into my freshman year at Texas Tech.

Yeah, from what I hear, riddle is quite the sausage fest.

Anyone can get into Riddle if they have the money. Don't kid yourself.

I would go to K-State over "widdle."

You could always visit both campuses, and then go with your instincts. I had no plans of going to Texas Tech until I visited. Had a great time on the visit, met some awesome people - the rest was history.

In my experience, the only people who care about a degree from Riddle...are Riddle grads themselves.

You want to know how I chose my graduate program? It was down to Iowa vs. Ohio State, and I was torn - couldn't make a decision. So I put NCAA Football into my playstation and had the computer play itself - Iowa vs. Ohio State. OSU won on a late field goal, and that's where I ended up.

True story - although I might have been leaning more towards OSU that day.

:yup: your great, that comment will go a long way with me, truly a comedian indeed!! =) I just wish it were that easy for me, I don't have 360, or ps3...hmmm maybe i should decide by a coin toss, or challenge by way of beeg pong... ;)

Back