Down to the Wire: Embry Riddle vs K-State

Hey SH. I can't really help you with the decision of K-state vs. Riddle (Well, maybe a little. I visited there when I was looking at schools, it was a good school. Not great, but good. I was looking at the flight side of stuff though.). Buuuuttt, I did do some stuff with the rowing team there back in the day. Maybe you've found one in Salina, but as far as I know, the K-State crew only rows in Manhattan. I could be wrong though. If you want, I could possibly get you in contact with a friend of mine who's a coxswain on the women's 8. But again, that's in Manhattan, so you'd have to make the hour drive there to go to practice.

thank you for bringing that note bout the rowing team only rowing in Manhattan campus to my attention. I was going to contact K-state today and ask... hmmm that really sucks =/ I don't even have a car to get to and fro Salina to Manhattan campus. But i could get one a "beater" just to make the miles... i was bit shocked how Salina doesn't have a shuttle to manhattan, i would have to carpool it. I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, but still =/

Although $70,000 isn't fully worth rowing, but it would have been a good run. Are you referring to K-state being an alright school? I did a little late night research and the two Riddle campuses, Prescott Arizona and Daytona Beach Florida are roughly $45,000 in tuition I believe, but I didn't see anything about in-state or out of state fees. And I'm perfectly cool with saving $25,000 by going a little further, either prescott or Florida "is there a difference in terms of Quality of education?"

In the end I'm looking into the quality of education Vs the cost, and since my ideology bout education is that its an investment, location isn't an issue and I would make the sacrifice in relocating if it was necessary.
which brings me to K-State vs Riddle...:confused:

I know very little about ERAU, but I don't think that location offers a maintenance degree/A&P certification.

in fact you are correct,
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
bulletpurple.gif
Bachelor of Science in Professional Aeronautics [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]
bulletpurple.gif
Bachelor of Science in Technical Management

are the only B.S. degrees offered, and as much as I'd like to fly, before even seeing an AME, know I am not fly worthy"health wise"
.. mild asthma =/
[/SIZE][/FONT]

University of Central Missouri (formerly CMSU) has a good aviation program. I got my BS and MS degrees there.

www.ucmo.edu/aviation

Yes, UCM, I was looking at UCM earlier on in the month, and I was in contact with their admissions office.

I was a little bit disappointed when I found out from the Aviation departments chairman/dean that the avionics program and (another one i cannot recall) was pulled for the spring semester "January." Hence the reason I started to look else where.

I do plan to start in the spring. which is about 4 months from now, but do keep in mind my FAFSA has to be updated and I have to transfer my previous College transcripts along with an application form to each institution. And I plan on applying to at least 3 universities, so I don't put my self in the weeds financially.

Your chances of getting laid at KSU are probably higher than at ERU. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but it's an important consideration for some. I was bummed about not getting into the Air Force Academy until about 4-weeks into my freshman year at Texas Tech.

thank you for your advice =)
I'm more looking into this from an education standpoint. I mean if I was considering the "get-laid" factor, I'd be going to another university in graphic design, or some other artsy "express yourself" program. Don't get me wrong, not all creative arts programs are for women, I graduated with a communications major "creative Arts" at my previous university. Some of you may be wondering "wow, that's a huge transition from Creative video production into Aircraft maintenance(A&P)/B.S. I do not feel in any way that i wasted 3-years on a DEC, if anything I gained experience in that domain, and now I'm just following the little voice in my head "Follow your dreams, Aim high." I am, well I'm trying to for that matter.

Don't go to Riddle. Save your money and go to a state school.

thats the thing. I'm comparing the tuition fees for ER at daytona beach, and the state school"out-of-state," and they seem to be much higher that ER =/

K-state with room and board, and meal plan not counting books and tools is $70k...
does anyone know how much it is for both Prescott and Florida campus tuition fees for out-of-state?? because I have work tomorrow all day for the next week, and they aren't open to call for info on a sunday =/

lol!:banghead:

Since you are looking outside your area now, have you looked into Middle Tennessee State University? They offer a B.S. in Aerospace Maintenance Management. Tuition for out-of-state students is $8300 a semester, but it drops to $2850 a semester for in-state students. Pretty good school. I think they are up to around 25,000 students, so you aren't cooped up with only aviation dorks all the time.

In my experience, the only people who care about a degree from Riddle...are Riddle grads themselves.

is there some sort of conflict about going to ER?
i hear the same deal about spartan college, hazing etc. not on the actual campus, just not very good feedback on them, which is why i eliminated them from my original equation.

does anyone else have personal feedback they'd like to share about Embry Riddle Aeronautical University B.S. Degree programs? (tuition for out of state, professors, job placement, reputation, class room ratio, etc.)

is there some sort of conflict about going to ER?
i hear the same deal about spartan college, hazing etc. not on the actual campus, just not very good feedback on them, which is why i eliminated them from my original equation.

Just out of curiosity, who are you hearing from about the "hazing" at Spartan? Are they current/former students or are you just hearing it through the grape vine? I spent WAAAAYYYY to long at the school and if you really want the 411, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Go to K-State or any other school and major in something outside of aviation.

:yeahthat:

I have not met one person on the line who was glad they majored in flight/aviation. I majored in engineering, and everyday i see more furloughs announced I am glad I didn't major in aviation.

Either way, don't go to Riddle...go to a real school with a real campus.

I thought this thread was going to be about Embry-Riddle beating K-State in some athletic event. Then I remembered it was football season and Riddle doesn't have a team.

K-State doesn't have one either...

Your chances of getting laid at KSU are probably higher than at ERU. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but it's an important consideration for some. I was bummed about not getting into the Air Force Academy until about 4-weeks into my freshman year at Texas Tech.

K-State - Salina was quite the sausage fest too. Technology & Aviation on one campus. Thankfully Manhattan is only an hour drive...

I went to K-State and enjoyed it. I know they've been making changes lately, but so far from what I can tell, they've been good (ie - adding more programs). I got my aviation degree, and like most everyone else, with I had gone with something else - but I'm not overly worried about it at the moment. Why not live in the state of Kansas for a year before attending the university? Get a job, make some money and reap the benefits of the in-state tuition. I got a four-year degree, minor in business, all my ratings and some fun ratings and still came in around $51K...but that was 2001-2004.

K-State doesn't have one either...

It may not be the best, but K-State does in fact have a football team. But even if the OP goes to K-State for school, I hope he will have enough sense to be true to his MO roots and cheer for the Tigers.:D

:yeahthat:

I have not met one person on the line who was glad they majored in flight/aviation. I majored in engineering, and everyday i see more furloughs announced I am glad I didn't major in aviation.

Either way, don't go to Riddle...go to a real school with a real campus.

does riddle not have a "real-campus?"
I am hearing that riddle is the Harvard of the air, and its engineering / MIT

does anyone...really anyone have any feedback on ER?:confused:

please feel free all to express your opinions. I really don't want to make this all about me. I'd like to hear your stories, how you decided on a uni, and yes even if it is over a ps3 game deciding for ya =P lol *u know who u are *

I'm really only applying for 3-universities.

1- UCM(University of Central Missouri)
2-K-State @ Salina
&
3- Embry Riddle

I'm considering Quality of education over cost, although cost is always going to be up there in importance in choosing a uni.

The only thing that scares me is selecting a "private" institution over a community college.
There are some community colleges that offer the same A&P + B.S. degree in Aviation technology/maintenance etc. as those private universities, and in the end price will always add up to roughly the same.

Just your buying a brand, this is from what i understand after reading some reviews on http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/EA...d_school=Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

K-state has a rowing team, except an hour away at the manhattan campus, so does Embry which is located on the Daytona campus. again im not going to a school just bcuz of its rowing team, im just mentioning the plus side to all this=)

I'm just worried that Embry's Aviation maintenance program isn't up to par with it's piloting program?? cuz embry is knows for its excellence in professional piloting program...

I bet you all are just bout irritated with me, But a young man's education is at stake lol!! wouldn't you like to sleep better at night knowing that you were the positive contributors to my situation :p

Parks College at St. Louis University (http://parks.slu.edu/index.php) has a pretty good reputation and is in St. Louis. Have you looked into their programs?

FWIW, I went to the Riddle DAB campus and thought it was ok. I'm doing what they trained me to do, I have outside things that I learned to do later. Go down for a visit and find out what you like and don't like. Take a look at Parks as well since they are failry close to home for you. Major outside of aviation if you think it is something that will interest you or something you would actually use in a furlough situation.

Parks College at St. Louis University (http://parks.slu.edu/index.php) has a pretty good reputation and is in St. Louis. Have you looked into their programs?

FWIW, I went to the Riddle DAB campus and thought it was ok. I'm doing what they trained me to do, I have outside things that I learned to do later. Go down for a visit and find out what you like and don't like. Take a look at Parks as well since they are failry close to home for you. Major outside of aviation if you think it is something that will interest you or something you would actually use in a furlough situation.

whats dab campus?
and furlough? im unsure of the terms...
my uncle told me bout parks, thank you i'll check that out too?
how do u feel after going to er? and once u got ur bachelor's was it easy to get a job? salary good?

A Forlough is a temporary leave of absence that airlines with occassionaly do to pilots when they need to cut back.

There are some community colleges that offer the same A&P + B.S. degree in Aviation technology/maintenance etc. as those private universities, and in the end price will always add up to roughly the same.
How are you calculating prices? ERAU is over $13,000 a semester; there's no way that's roughly the same as a community college, even when considering out-of-state tuition. Once you graduate and start working, no one is going to care where you got your A&P certificate and degree. Go to the closest, cheapest school that offers what you need.

Back