Down to the Wire: Embry Riddle vs K-State

Me, I'd lean towards the state college.
Its interesting i have family in St.Louis, and Parks i have never heard of. is it an accredited university?

and do employers really care where you get your AnP? or its a whole brand issue, buying a name "brand."

do you know alumni from Parks?

State school, which do you recommend?

I mean I'd chose the state school because of balance, cost and even though (much to my amazement) that having a Riddle pedigree can open some doors at some airlines (Auburn & ERAU at Delta fo sho!), I think you'd save a crapload of money and have a better overall experience at a state college. That's just my opinion and I may be wrong.

But overall, for the most part, airlines just care that you graduated, not always necessarily where you went.

This is long but good advice.

I went to Riddle’s Prescott campus on a wrestling scholarship in fall of 1999 and graduated 2003. Tuition my first year was $10k and some change, however, my scholarships took care of that. When I graduated, tuition for the incoming freshmen for the next school year was about $20k. Once a student at Riddle, tuition only goes up a few percent annually. I have never seen a school nearly double their tuition in a 4 year time frame. Tuition is now $26, 420 a year. I decided to just copy and paste their estimates below. First column is per semester and the second is for a year.

Tuition $13,210 $26,420
Housing $2,350 $4,700
Meal Plan $1,675 $3,350
Books $500 $1,100
Fees $385 $1,178
Total Expenses $18,120 $36,648

I then decided to increase my skill set and attend Syracuse University and earned my MBA. I enjoyed both schools, but if I were to do it all over again without scholarships paying my way, I wouldn’t attend Riddle. I wouldn’t attend any of Riddle’s off campus locations as they typically don’t have permanent teachers, most students are nontraditional older working folks, and the locations are not on a real campus. Furthermore, most of the students at the offsite locations are not full time students. You will really enjoy attending a college campus and taking advantage of everything that it offers. Now if you are going to flip the bill, money should be of great importance to you. You will get a great education at any recognizable state university. One major factor that should be considered when choosing a school is who recruits their, for internships and career opportunities. You should do an internship because it will look good on your resume, you will gain experience, and companies typically like to hire interns. If you really want to save money, attend a community college (CC) for the first two years and earn all your general ed classes that are transferable to the 4 year school you want to attend. Many CCs have transfer agreements with nearby universities. Essentially, you would meet the school’s requirement by taking the required classes earning satisfactory grades and then you would be automatically accepted into the college you chose. So look into the nearby CCs close to K-State and see if they have transfer agreements. In fact, Cowley County Community College has a transfer agreement with K-State at Salina. You definitely want to earn a bachelors degree over an associates. An associates degree shows that you do things half way. There are community colleges that do offer Airframe and Powerplant programs, and the tuition is cheap. You could take the required classes in an A&P program at a community college and then transfer to a university to earn your bachelors degree. This would save you a lot of money. There should be a huge difference in costs taking an A&P program at K-State vs. a community college. I don’t know if you have looked at this site for a listing of FAA maintenance schools.
http://av-info.faa.gov/MaintenanceSchool.asp

If you look at Lincoln Land Community College in Springfield, Illinois, out of state residents with chargeback authorization (don’t know what that means) is $73.50 per credit hour. Don’t know if there are any CCs in Missouri that offer an A&P program. If you did 60 credit hours at this school, tuition alone would cost you $4,410 for 2 years worth of college. Call me crazy, but that is a huge difference from $70K. What is $70k for anyway, one year or all four years? Is it just for A&P classes? Anyway, it’s $70k too much. Now take your transferable classes and transfer to the university of your choice. Again, I wouldn’t choose Riddle. Attend a state university where tuition is around $5k a year and you could walk away with a bachelors degree and the required classes for your A&P at a cost between $20k to $25k in tuition. Your cost in tuition for 4 years would be right around what it costs to attend Riddle for one year. Employers don’t care that you attended a CC and then transferred to a university. All they look at is that you earned a bachelors degree and have taken the required courses to earn your A&P. Don’t get caught up in the marketing hype of a schools name (Riddle) thinking that the name alone will get you a job. Any state school will offer you the great education you desire. I think you are getting too caught up in branding, marketing, name thing. Experience is what counts and who you know is king, so network like a madman. Also, internship, internship, internship if you can!!!

So if you want to do this the cheapest way, attend a CC, earn all your A&P courses and transferable classes, and then transfer to a local state university and earn your bachelors. Now take that $50k you save and put it into a no-load mutual fund, a Roth IRA, or a combination of the two or any other solid investment and reap the returns at retirement. You’re asking for advice, so I hope you take what many have given and not choose an expensive school because you think the name will get you somewhere. But this is just my 2 cents X 10 that will save you, oh, $50,000 plus. Since you value education so much, take the advice (the free education on financial decision making that many are giving you right now) and SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!

PS. I wouldn’t waist your time applying to Riddle unless you are really going because just about everyone who applies gets in.

The numbers are classified as follows: Applications, Accepted, Acceptance Rate
EMBRY RIDDLE AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY-PRESCOTT 1,351; 1,171; 86.7%
EMBRY RIDDLE AERONAUTICAL UNIVERSITY-DAYTONA BEACH 2,846; 2,396; 84.2%
KANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY 10,066; 4,806; 47.7%
http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2006-11-02-collegerates_x.htm

Your chances of getting laid at KSU are probably higher than at ERU. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but it's an important consideration for some. I was bummed about not getting into the Air Force Academy until about 4-weeks into my freshman year at Texas Tech.

I work with a bunch of guys who went to K-State. The aviation program there is a good hour down the road from the main campus and it's quite the sausage fest as well.

Its interesting i have family in St.Louis, and Parks i have never heard of. is it an accredited university?

and do employers really care where you get your AnP? or its a whole brand issue, buying a name "brand."

do you know alumni from Parks?

State school, which do you recommend?

Parks is part of St. Louis University, a private Jesuit university.

The best man from my wedding is a Parks Alum, so is my father in law.

I am also an advocate of a non-aviation degree and training at an FBO. It helps give you experience in something different and sets up you to diversify down the road or do something on the side because either a) you have to or b) you are bored to death because you have too many days off

Most likely option 'a' though in the beginning of your journey :)

I am also an advocate of a non-aviation degree and training at an FBO. It helps give you experience in something different and sets up you to diversify down the road or do something on the side because either a) you have to or b) you are bored to death because you have too many days off

Most likely option 'a' though in the beginning of your journey :)

Isn't the Aerospace industry always in constant demand for AME's and AnP Certified personnel?

I don't think I'll be bored working on planes, if i cannot fly em "my dream," I'd like to work on them and be around them constantly =)

But that's why I'd like to do my Anp first, and then get my bachelors in either Aviation Maintenance Management, or Aviation Business Administration, but I prefer AMM over Aviation business administration...from my understanding, K-state offers both the AnP the first year, and then the rest of your degree is the Gen Ed courses as well as the business side...

Ok guys, i believe you bout the sausage fest at k-state Salina, But I'm ok with that.:nana2: lol~ In the end it comes down to going to the university for my education, the girls will come later... plus Wouldn't you like to be in an environment where you can concentrate, i dunno bout you, but I can't concentrate where there are many ladies.:eek:

back to park university as a part of SLU, the A and P program compared to K-state @ salina's which is betteR? is this a fair question...?

I work with a bunch of guys who went to K-State. The aviation program there is a good hour down the road from the main campus and it's quite the sausage fest as well.

Odd, I stopped at KLWC a few months ago and that is a pretty nice airport. Spent almost a whole day at the FBO waiting for the softball sized hail to give up. All of five minutes drive from campus.

Flight instruction was available from the FBO and the prices were average.

Odd, I stopped at KLWC a few months ago and that is a pretty nice airport. Spent almost a whole day at the FBO waiting for the softball sized hail to give up. All of five minutes drive from campus.

Flight instruction was available from the FBO and the prices were average.

Lawrence is the home of the University of Kansas. Kansas State University is in Manhattan, and the aviation program is in Salina.

LWC isn't a bad airport, but the FBO isn't much fun if you have to spend much time there.

Lawrence is the home of the University of Kansas. Kansas State University is in Manhattan, and the aviation program is in Salina.

LWC isn't a bad airport, but the FBO isn't much fun if you have to spend much time there.
wow, you would think I would know the difference with my brother attending Law School there.........but I didn't

Kansas all looks the same to me anyway

KS has a glider program...

with an ASK-21... :drool:

The only real reason that I applied there. :yeahthat:
Must stay true to soaring roots if I want to race in the Junior Worlds for the US. :)

Buttttt, ill probably end up at SIU only soaring during the summer. :(

Id defiantly pick K-State over ERAU, for all the reasons listed above that I have also heard elsewhere.

does riddle not have a "real-campus?"
I am hearing that riddle is the Harvard of the air, and its engineering / MIT

does anyone...really anyone have any feedback on ER?:confused:

You may want to search the forms a bit on this topic. That "Harvard of the Air" claim is retarded at best. Riddle's 'real campus' is Daytona Beach FL, and Prescott, AZ.

ERAU pilot's last I heard often came out of that school with over $120K in debt.

You can PM me if you want my take on Riddle, I was there very briefly.

Come on now, Eastern Kansas is actually nice - with the Flint Hills and all. :) Western Kansas on the other hand...
As far as I am concerned everything on the East Coast (just west of Denver to the Atlantic) is the same.

:D

K-State is a solid state school, and you'll probably save tons of money over ERAU. So that would be my choice.

Of course, Salina is a :mad: hole surrounded by barren wasteland.

now say if things are a bit different, that kstate is still in the equation, and erau is out(i already took out of my FASFA report)...

Here's my plan "changed because i was given really good advice to save money," *you know who you are*

I'm looking for a university or an institution that I can take the 68-credit hour Airframe & Power plant Certificated program so i could save money in the long run... Tulsa tech was mentioned to me by a former student and now instructor there "forgot his alias," *but he knows who he is too.*

My plan is as follows:
1) take 68 or some odd credit hour A&P certificate program. Once graduate then I apply to SLU(Saint Louis University's Parks Aeronautical Engineering) where i can take advantage of the in-state tuition)...or another school that is in Missouri... this way i'll be saving $50,000..it makes sense to me to take the A&P wherever it is inexpensive as long as i have the certifiacte THEN i can apply to whichever university...where my room and board will be less, and tuition and books because i would have already gotten the A&P out of the way...
2) attend university for my Aviation maintenance Bachelor's of Science degree...

3) job placement and then we'll see...

-I was informed that the A&P at Tulsa Tech is $7,000 from beginning to end and no hidden fees.
*but i cant seem to find anywhere on the website where they list their tuition and fees*
-I was also informed that ERAU in little rock arkansas offers an A&P but it is only for military personnel who have experience.

-Spartan is way to expensive, and UCM no longer offers the A&P there... personally I'd prefer UCM, but i was just so turned off by their "Aviation department" website. Everything seemed to be outdated and misleading =/

-there's also this other institution named "Northland college," which offers competitive in-state vs out-state fees except its located in Minnesota, kinda far...its almost close to my home in montreal, compared to where i am now in missouri.

do you guys recommend any institutions where I could take an A&P FAA approved certificate program? in, or around the area of missouri...could also be in the states surrounding missouri..

If there's a place in Springfield that be perfect, because i just bought my car and it be great if i could live at home and go to school there.

Really guys thank you so much for your time,
your all the best!!:rawk:

---------------------------------------
Just a side note,
Is AMT, AME, and A&P equivalent...
In Canada we have AME's (Aviation Maintenance Engineers)
In the United States we have A&P (Airframe and Power plant Technicians)
and then there's Aircraft Maintenance Technicians... now I'm sure this has been covered in another topic before, but my question is that since the FAA is considered Federal, whose jurisdictions are in the Americas, if you are a certified A&P technician, can you work in Canada with this license, or do you have to take a test in Canada if you were certified in the US, and vice-versa?

Back